What things do you see all the time on TV or in Films?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
I have met and spoken to dozens of peelers in my day and never once addressed them by their ranks
Were they kneeling on your back during those occasions and did you have a mouth full of grass or gravel? Because that would explain why.

"I can't breathe, Constable".

Remaining on a Police theme - the number of interviewing / interrogation scenes wherein the participants commence with a "leading question".

Kipling's Six Soldiers of "What, Why, When How Where Who" seldom get troubled when opening an investigation.

NSP

LE
Hero will pull a pistol mag from a dead baddy's belt kit or shoulder rig and it will fit their own pistol, regardless of the pistol being carried by the baddy. No issues with size, shape or latching arrangement whatsoever - just slap it into the grip, release the slide and crack on.

Ritch

LE
How many refer to you as "mate"? Winds me up a treat does that.
I'm guilty of calling a lot of strangers that. I think it stems from me trying to be more confident than I used to be.

As a kid I was set upon by a group of lads and beaten and left for dead. After that I struggled for years with strangers and then tried to take the bull by the horns and I noticed I started calling everyone it.

NSP

LE
How many refer to you as "mate"? Winds me up a treat does that.
It makes my teeth itch watching a "fly on the wall" programme such as infest Dave about the old bill, and twenty-something plod is pulling D-Day veteran type over and tapping on the window then, when it is wound down, going, "Alright, mate?! How's it going...?"

No, you whelp. It's, "Good afternoon, sir. How are you today?"

I've yet to be pulled over by Plod but the day it happens the conversation will go something like this:-

PC: "Alright, mate? How's it going...?"

Me: "Good afternoon, constable. How may I be of assistance today? Oh, by the way and begging your pardon but we've just met and thus I am not your mate. You will please address me as 'sir' or, having learned my name, as Mr. ******. In return I will show my respect for your office and the authority of your (somewhat scruffy compared to the one worn by my dad in the '60s) uniform and your holding of the Queen's warrant by addressing you as 'constable' or 'sir'."

Depending on how that goes I may or may not add something along the lines of, "I shall address you as 'sir' and you shall address me as 'sir' - only you will actually mean it."

It makes my teeth itch watching a "fly on the wall" programme such as infest Dave about the old bill, and twenty-something plod is pulling D-Day veteran type over and tapping on the window then, when it is wound down, going, "Alright, mate?! How's it going...?"

I've yet to be pulled over by Plod but the day it happens the conversation will go something like this:-

Me: "Good afternoon, constable. How may I be of assistance today? Oh, by the way and begging your pardon but we've just met and thus I am not your mate. You will please address me as 'sir' or, having learned my name, as Mr. ******. In return I will show my respect for your office and the authority of your (somewhat scruffy compared to the one worn by my dad in the '60s) uniform and your holding of the Queen's warrant by addressing you as 'constable' or 'sir'."

Depending on how that goes I may or may not add something along the lines of, "I shall address you as 'sir' and you shall address me as 'sir' - only you will actually mean it."
You're nicked, son.

That is what is known as failing the attitude test.
You might as well finish off by saying "Do you know who I am ?"

When the plumber calls the lady of the house is in a state of undress

Latest Threads