What then?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cregg Bristle, Jul 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everybody, I've been lurking for a while and finally joined. My only other post so far has been for the charity rugby match in Bristol 17th August in aid of H4H (sneaky plug!), and that set my thinking about another H4H related issue

Earlier I was in Asda (it's the nearest supermarket, okay!), and as usual when getting some eggs, looked for the Help 4 Heroes eggs. I always try to get them as I like the idea of the donation. I'm trying to get enough for another aircraft carrier and another brigade of infantry (it works like 'Action Man' stars, right?). Anyway, I was disappointed that there were none, and the Kermit green clad school-leaver re-stocking the aisle seemed to think that they wouldn't be getting anymore.

My point is this. After the withdrawal from Afghanistan at the end of 2014, how drastically will the support for H4H and the other charities fall? What can be done to keep the armed forces in the public eye? In fact SHOULD anything be done, bearing mind support should really be funded by the government, not by charities?

What are your thoughts?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. This is the big problem with relying on Charities to ensure support for troops. A civil servant I work with (ex-navy and is very active in ex-forces/forces activities) refuses to even talk about H4H - the reason being that it should be on the Governments shoulders to carry out the action of looking after injured soldiers.

I have no doubt that in years to come we will see the media being briefed against the military in an effort to reduce support for expenditure. At the moment the government is very quiet in matters like Baha Mousa. If you compare that against incidents where the police or NHS have failed then you can see very big differences.