Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What theatre show have you just watched

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are threads for films and TV shows, plus individual threads about specific shows but I thought maybe we should have one thread for live theatre.

What has brought this on? Well, recently I was treated as a birthday present to go and see The Mousetrap at St Martin's in London. It is years since I last sent to watch a live show and thoroughly enjoyed it. As ever, at the end the lead actor, although really it is an ensemble cast, steps forward and asks the audience not to tell anyone "Who dunnit"! So I keep their trust and shan't tell, except to say it was the same character as it was 70 years ago!

The other show, which really got me thinking about a thread, was today I was phoned and asked if I would like to go to see HMS Pinafore as there was a spare ticket. Now, I haven't seen any Gilbert & Sullivan since I was at school, and that wasn't yesterday! but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The show was held in Holland Park by the eponymously named Holland Park Opera and had been 'modernised' to a ship in the late1930s. A really lovely crew with some real laugh out loud moments. Again, unexpected but most enjoyable- I think I am getting the bug for live shows.

Macbeth 2019 been awhile
Always worth watching

2:22 at the Gielgud in London.
Booked it as it had Jay (from the Inbetweeners) and Stephanie Beatriz from Brooklyn 99.

Was really impressed by the performances and the story. Lots of little twists that only just twigged when we were having food afterwards!

Just before Covid lockdown we went to Salisbury Playhouse to see Claire Sweeney in Shirley Valentine. It was a one woman show and she carried it off superbly. A very talented lass with some, ahem, obvious assets, it was a bonus that we were up the front near the stage, particularly when she was in her swimsuit for the 2nd half of the show on her ‘Greek Island’. Can’t beat a bit of culture!
8CADB7C5-A377-4FA8-B3BA-E8B9734E4B6B.jpeg

Damn, put my answer in the wrong thread at first.
The Salalah variety show in Oman in 1985. An annual event put on by the ex pats and a must see.
Before that a school trip to see David Copperfield. The boys only tagged along in order to finger the girls on the back seat of the coach. I'm not much of a theatre goer.

I went to see a Play called The Weir last night, written by Conor McPherson. Set in a pub in Ireland, small cast of five, the Barman and four punters. Copious amounts if alcohol being drank, then the ghost stories start, each character with a Monologue of around twenty minutes.

Here is a version I found on YouTube.

Last edited:
Earlier this year I saw this at the West End. Hilariously funny.

I saw Bat Out Of Hell in the Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday.

I hated every second of it.

Very weird storyline, ham acting, shit set and props.

We got talked into it in January by friends of ours, but they cancelled at the last minute. My ambivalence to Meatloaf's shit music has now become an active hatred.

The only redeeming feature was the homicidal fantasies I had involving the male lead, who I would happily bludgeon for a day or two.

There are threads for films and TV shows, plus individual threads about specific shows but I thought maybe we should have one thread for live theatre.

What has brought this on? Well, recently I was treated as a birthday present to go and see The Mousetrap at St Martin's in London. It is years since I last sent to watch a live show and thoroughly enjoyed it. As ever, at the end the lead actor, although really it is an ensemble cast, steps forward and asks the audience not to tell anyone "Who dunnit"! So I keep their trust and shan't tell, except to say it was the same character as it was 70 years ago!

The other show, which really got me thinking about a thread, was today I was phoned and asked if I would like to go to see HMS Pinafore as there was a spare ticket. Now, I haven't seen any Gilbert & Sullivan since I was at school, and that wasn't yesterday! but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The show was held in Holland Park by the eponymously named Holland Park Opera and had been 'modernised' to a ship in the late1930s. A really lovely crew with some real laugh out loud moments. Again, unexpected but most enjoyable- I think I am getting the bug for live shows.

Jammy s0d. Never seem to get a sniff of G&S this far north.

However:

They have £3 tickets, pay what you like, basically. Bloomin' marvellous. (Still no word on my vol app though.)

As a retired English teacher, I've had to invest in a new washing machine, industrial soap powder and have Tescos Home Delivery on bookmark for new undercrackers.

Such an f-ing shame they've opened up 40 years too late, as I liked several servings of Thesp in my wicked, younger bachelor days. O the joys of being a conformist contraian in the days of non-conformist unanimitists, they loved trying to get into the mindset of a squaddy.

Come North, folks, we're in the process of being civilised! And we like it.

Just?
Musical
No theatre here so the last one was Chicago, in London. Lots of scenes with beautiful dancing girls in heels, stockings and suspenders. There was something about a murder and a trial.... um, did I mention the beautiful dancing girls in heels, stockings and suspenders, scintillating sinners, and all that jazz?

Play
The Woman in Black, at the tiny Fortune Theatre in London. No scenery, a cast of three, the wardrobe on hangars on stage or in the big wicker basket on stage.
Props, that big wicker basket.
Basic 'special effects' in the form of lighting and sound effects,

Low budget

BRILLIANT!

I saw Bat Out Of Hell in the Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday.

I hated every second of it.

Very weird storyline, ham acting, shit set and props.

We got talked into it in January by friends of ours, but they cancelled at the last minute. My ambivalence to Meatloaf's shit music has now become an active hatred.

The only redeeming feature was the homicidal fantasies I had involving the male lead, who I would happily bludgeon for a day or two.
I bet you say that to all the boys.

Went to see Macbeth at the Epstein, in Liverpool, couple of weeks ago. Left after the first Act.
Leading chap gabbled and raced through his lines, he had no idea about metre, pitch, rhythm and rhyme. Lady MacBeth, a much older lady, did her best to slow him down but to no avail. It was premature verbal ejaculation - which is literal, actual and correct - and a pun.
The guy who would have been a great Macbeth was stuck with Duncan. Meh.
Plus they fceked about with the mother, the maiden and the crone, adding a child to the trio! Nope! Not for me.
A Daniel Taylor Production, avoid.

Posted late, as I forgot about this Fred.