What the RN did last year, and no it was not all tied up in GUZ or Pompey

Is the RN having the same difficulty in attracting/retaining manpower as the Army, or are you calling for an increase in the size of the RN?

Is the RN having the same difficulty in attracting/retaining manpower as the Army, or are you calling for an increase in the size of the RN?
Combination of both, more ships require more manpower, I would like to see a big RN and yes the RN has difficulty in retaining manpower esp skilled engineering types.

I read with interest, until this gem:

A final fact may put into perspective everything I have mentioned about the tempo and intensity of Royal Navy operations; of the personnel who spend more than 1,900 days away from their families over the course of their career the Royal Navy has 5,260, the Army 310 and the RAF 25.

I agree it says something about the tempo of RN ops - perhaps. But as to the intensity, is not a better indication the fact that almost any joint gathering in No1s (or equivalent or mess kit) shows the average Sailor has far less tin than the average Airmen, who has far less than the average Soldier?

Jim30 will be along in a minute to describe them as rust buckets and not worth worrying about.
Less about our navy and more about the Russian's.

A final fact may put into perspective everything I have mentioned about the tempo and intensity of Royal Navy operations; of the personnel who spend more than 1,900 days away from their families over the course of their career the Royal Navy has 5,260, the Army 310 and the RAF 25.

I agree it says something about the tempo of RN ops - perhaps. But as to the intensity, is not a better indication the fact that almost any joint gathering in No1s (or equivalent or mess kit) shows the average Sailor has far less tin than the average Airmen, who has far less than the average Soldier?
Your making a basic error in assuming all RN ops are to war zones, plenty of time away is in say a West Indies patrol or Falklands or even North Sea.

Jim30 will be along in a minute to describe them as rust buckets and not worth worrying about.
Its unusual for you to be concerned about the rooskies.

Is this why there's so many with a five-year separation period?
ComUKMarFor said:
It is worthy of note that many of our mine warfare Senior Rates may conduct 8 tours in a 10 year period in the Middle East. Indeed, some personnel have never deployed in the traditional sense as they simply fly from the UK to Bahrain and back.
Eight x 8-months holidays in Sunny Bahrain would take you over 1900 days. Probably living in a serviced flat and with access to the PX for cheap booze.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Is this why there's so many with a five-year separation period?

Eight x 8-months holidays in Sunny Bahrain would take you over 1900 days. Probably living in a serviced flat and with access to the PX for cheap booze.
Living on board a plastic ship in a shared cabin and driving up and down the gulf at 2kts. I'm told Bahrain was, is and ever shall be a gash run ashore, even on the first occasion. After the 5th or 6th even Portsmouth starts looking exotic. Apparently. I've never been.

After the 5th or 6th even Portsmouth starts looking exotic. Apparently. I've never been
A shimmering paradise in the sun, where nubile scantily-clad young fillies frolic on the endless sandy beaches, the beer is plentiful and flavoursome, the traffic free-flowing, the drivers well-mannered and everyone lives in spacious mansions, adjacent to the marina. It's just at the south end of the M275.

(NB : Some of the above description may only apply on one day a decade)

Standing proudly to attention as I read that.

Stirring stuff from Jack

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm just going on the ship's company of a 45 that spent 6 months in and out of there with no variety. They were threaders, and mostly still drunk,the morning after their first non-bahrain run ashore in 7 months. @jim30 has some experience of the place

Other factors also apply as the bomber queens spend a long time under the water on continuous patrol and dont get medals but are a vital part of defending the country.