What the hells gone wrong with my lappy?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Sinner251, Jan 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Laptop has been working fine this morning, got in from work and ran disk clean up. When it finished shut it down and went to bed.
    Since I switched it back on, it wasn't finding anything plugged into usb.
    Specifically an external HDD and my phone. Did a System restore and now all its got on screen is my desktop picture, but enlarged and thats it.
    Can get task manager up and its only showing 20 processes instead of the normal 40-42.
    Hitting the windows key does the sum total of nowt too.
    Any ideas?

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. Oh Dell Vostro 1000 is what it is, xp service pack 3 I think.

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yes, Swearing loudly at it has had no effect either.

5. Can you get into control panel and alter the screen resolution?

6. After 5 years stirling service I think I need to put some pennies away for a new pooter. I've had my moneys worth, when the office pc died my lappy replaced it for 6 months, don't think it was switched off in that time.

7. Kirkz nope not even bringing up task manager now.

8. As a last resort you could always take the HDD out and wire it up to your PC as an external HDD save all the info off it and re install OS :)

9. Just turned it off/on again, and all back to normal. I'll just take it as a warning and start looking toward a newer pooter.
    Thanks for all the replys.

10. Geta Mac

11. I couldn't do repair installation because it was doing precisley nothing, just showing my desk top pic.

12. And meanwhile ... back everything up. Could be that you've picked up a virus and/or that the hard disk is failing, especially if you say you've been hammering it for some time. A large USB key should do the trick.

13. Religious about backing up, so sorted on that front. Hard drive failing most likely, as it as had a hammering.

14. Not got them anymore they went in the previous house which was burgled and the lap top bag with all its discs and manuals taken. Luckily the lappy was at work.
    I'll see how it goes, bonus due in April so may replace then.