What the hell should I do?

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by commzmeanzbombz, Jan 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

It has come to my attention recently that my military service is passing me by at a great rate of knots and the realisation that I wont be looked after by the Army forever has given me a sense of foreboding!

Consequently I have started to look at what I can do when my time is finally up and to be frank, I am at a loss.

I dont want to persue a carrer in what I do now which is mainly classroom based instruction i.e. teaching and lecturing, but, I do want to have some form of job which is outdoors and active. I enjoy shooting and fishing and most outdoorsy pursuits.

Ideally I want to earn about 30k a year or more but I know outdoor type jobs dont pay the best.

I have 8 years remaining which sounds a lot but if they pass as quick as the last 14 then I need to start thinking now!

So, what do you reckon? Do any of you do a job that I might enjoy that meets my criteria? Or, does my ideal job not exist and I should just cut my losses and train to be a teacher?

2. Be a dolphin shaver :)
  3. secondary school teaching, and run their CCF.
  4. Im allergic to dolphins so thats a no go :(
  5. Only one way to find out. Get yourself on RCP, MLT, RLT, BCU and all the other AT courses you can manage, if you haven't already. I reckon most guys can get up to JSMEL(S) / Civvy ML(S) standard in a short period of time, given a bit of hard work and quality mountain days. From there you can get on a couple of expeds overseas and there's your way of getting a portfolio squared away for entry into the industry and getting a feel for it.

You can be a teacher and still do outdoorsy stuff. Just locate yourself up north near the outdoors industry, so you can juggle the two.
  6. Cheers for that idea, that path never even crossed my mind until now!
  7. Tree surgeon

Rig worker

8. Start drinking heavily.
  9. I hate to break the news, but 8 years will actually pass faster than 14 years... :p
  10. Do Fibre.... Everyone else does.
  11. Try communication-cabling. instaling fibe optic cables, telephone cables date cables all that stuff. you can do a 4 week course with CTTS in Lincon. they sort everything out for you i.e. the costs, a job placement and all that.

thats what im doing
  12. Hey Stu-reme85, I'm reme too (was) also did the course at CTTS, how dit work out for you? Did Colin lie to you all too?
  13. How about being a driving instructor, thats what I plan to do in six yrs whn I leave the Police.
  14. Gamekeeper?
  15. How about starting your own business?

Look at your strengths and weaknesses, what you enjoy doing, hobbies, interests etc and then think about a business you could start.

I know what you are thinking, but plenty of people do it and make a good living. Some people even make a million.

Just a thought ...