What the FRC?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by RangiRam, Aug 28, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whither the FRC?

We seem to have spent an inordinate amount of time and effort orientating ourselves to the workings of the Formation readiness Cycle but it then goes for a ball of chalk at the first time of asking. What now? Do we try to make it work? Forget it? Carry on regardless?

Can I just do my own thing please?

2. RR, notice this has been languishing for a bit. Suprised no-one has been back to you with FRC Mk2, or 'The Carter Study'. It's still just that, a study - but it's on the streets and proposes an alternative to the FRC which addresses the problem of how to actually prepare formations for HIC and keep them at a steady state. The FRC was and is basically a large heap of festering dung; a comfort blanket for planners which never actually worked. Rather than paraphrase, I suggest you have a read yourself. It's not an easy read - but it's certainly worth considering and, I believe, a more sensible approach.

3. Its official the FRC is no longer in situ. Had it confirmed on the Brigade Commanders training day last week. We are to remember it and work on a similar principle but FRC is extinct.

4. Bloody right the FRC is extinct...... Have a look at the formations deployed on Op TELIC. Not all of them were trained to CP5 and in their HR year (i.e. at the top of the FRC) and those that were (CP5 and in HR year) were left behind or deployed on Op TELIC 2!!!!!

FRC sounds good in principle but it's not practical enough for today’s type of Operations.

5. And no provision being made for the supporting arms / services: Loggies, Scalies etc, for whom the FRC is something the rest of the Army do while they are stagging on on yet another deployment. :?

6. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

Where might one acquire a copy of this 'Carter Study'? I have access to the RLI/LANDCSS(R), and I'm at the Land Warfare Centre for the next week or so, if that helps. Otherwise, if you would give me a steer who to call, I'd be grateful. I'm not just interested for my own benefit; my brother commissions next year, and I'm advising him on who to join.

Thanks.