What The **** Did You's Do?

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by beagleboy, Nov 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know where to quite put this thread, anyway Mods do what you will with it. This is not a piss-take either, but a fair dinkum question and is also directed at us Aussies. Ahem.......

Watching the tele the other night - as you do, and a show come on about all the great stuff the Brits built/made/designed. What really got me was this engine:

Napier Deltic

Napier Deltic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought how good is this design, and got me thinking what the **** happened? You guys (and us Aussies) have built/made/designed some excellent engineering stuff, now just a shadow of our former selves. Overtaken by the great unwashed with inferior shoddy made junk.

OK, back on my meds, rant over.

2. You were nearly there...

There's a lot more profit to be made in selling someone five cheap shoddy engines over 20 years, than in selling them one good engine that lasts for twenty years. Especially when you've got staff who work for two dollars and a bowl of rice a day, and get sent to prison if they go on strike.

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The brilliance of the Deltic design was the reduction in weight for a given amount of power. Had three in my minesweeper in 1961, two to push and one to generate electricity (for the magnetic sweep).

Long after Barnes Wallis we still generate genius designers even if (like a lot of clever people) they come across as a bit cracked - Clive Sinclair, Dyson and so forth. And did any one see the prog on the Airbus wing last night? That's us making things.

4. BopIt.jpg

Or is it just me?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Every day is a learning day ... never seen that design before and now with the power of the Interweb I now know why Bitish Rail years ago had engines called Deltics .

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

How could it possibly be you Honey?

I never quite worked out how the exhaust worked. I'm guessing it was a 2 stroke? But it clearly does work as anyone who has ever seen the finest Diesel Electric ever built, the Deltic, pulling a load can testify.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

55022 is a bit of a hero for train Geeks. Currently pulling for Alcan on the Blyth - Lynemouth run.

8. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Can we have a train spotting forum. Not my cup of tea (although the engineering is quite interesting) but some people seem to really get moist about donning duffle coats and bobble hats and collecting no.s and photographs of trains. So a train spotting forum?

9. Its not actually as cut and dried as that. The UK manufactures and exports an awful lot of engines still. Over three million a year....

UK manufactured engines include-
    Perkins
    Cummins
    Ford
    Honda
    Toyota
    BMW
    Plus assorted others.

The UK produces 1,500,000 cars and 200,000 commercial vehicles every year. Half the engines produced in the UK are exported to be fitted to vehicles built abroad.

Many Formula 1 teams are UK based including-
    Williams
    Virgin
    Lotus
    Renault
    Red Bull
    Mercedes
    and a few others....

We still produce buses and trucks, aero engines and countless other pieces of highly technical engineering.

Its very fashionable these days to believe that UK heavy industry is dead and buried but its just not true, despite succesive governments trying to kill it off it is still alive and well.

• Like Like x 1