What tank is this?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Listy, Dec 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

2. i saw a programme on Discovery all about tanks and this one looks as though it was featured, it is swedish. Not sure of its name though.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You may be thinking of the Swedish S Tank, which that is not.

4. It isnt an S Tank, but appears either to be a test model or a hybrid of it?

5. Looks like it works the same way as the S Tank.

6. It's a Centurion based test bed foe testing the hydropneumatic suspension that would later be used on the S Tank. As a guess.

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Suspension looks like it could'nt give the same elevation/depression available from the S but it could be prototype, looks more like something built along the same concept as the old Jagpanzer tank destroyer thingy - where are the cassett heads and GDAV when you need them :?

8. With four road wheels and two top rollers, this looks like a test-bed/pre-prototype for the S-tank. One of the pics shows what looks like a chute over the glacis for case disposal. Another pic shows the vehicle in almost a classic S-tank pose, an indication that this was also a test bed for the suspension system.

Sven Berge's original S-tank design (late 50s IIRC) was for a two-man crew and autoloader, but this was increased to three for production vehicles.

I was once privileged to be taken round the Swedish Tank Museum at Skovde by Sven. Apart from a couple of the early exhibits, he had either operated or designed all the tracked AFVs there.

His last design before he retired, the UDES - XX20,
    [​IMG][/img]

was never adopted. It was way too far ahead of its time. It was fun to cabby, though!

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Bugger of trackpen - you got that from your Dick Tracey collection :wink:

10. FV4401 Contentious Tank

Doesn't everyone know that?

8O

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I'd go along with that. The roadwheels look like they're borrowed from a Cent and the gun looks like a 105 off a Cent.

I have to say the shape of the front either side of the gun reminds me of a StuG 3.

So a put-together concept of something which looks like it will become the S Tank based on currently-available gear and using well-tried-and-tested design sounds spot on to me.

Haven't got a clue.

12. Hagglunds told me it was impossible to bog it. Somehow, though, I managed to do just that! On the other hand, it was fascinating to take up a fire position on a steep reverse slope, using the rear (automotive) element as a support.

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You could bog a bike sir 8)

14. But I'm sure you recall me trying to avoid bogging the whole squadron by using a bridge. :oops:

But that's off thread. Revenons a nos moutons, as they say in France!