Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

It takes approximately two years to become comfortable in any role and then you move people just as they are about to really deliver (or not) in the third year.
It takes at least five to deliver substantial change amd anchor it in the culture of a large organisation.

So any here today gone tomorrow CGS, with his constantly churning cohort of subordinate acolytes is (whether he knows it or not) 'avin' a giraffe when he talks (as did Carter) about such a transformation occurring during his tenure, either as CGS or CDS.

It would account also for his smug grin at Committee last week, when the shortarse Essex boy threatened him with Dom Boy (who faces the same obstacle, if he had only the humility but to know it)

It takes at least five to deliver substantial change amd anchor it in the culture of a large organisation.

So any here today gone tomorrow CGS, with his constantly churning cohort of subordinate acolytes is (whether he knows it or not) 'avin' a giraffe when he talks (as did Carter) about such a transformation occurring during his tenure, either as CGS or CDS.

It would account also for his smug grin at Committee last week, when the shortarse Essex boy threatened him with Dom Boy (who faces the same obstacle, if he had only the humility but to know it)

Dominic Cummings and humility do not exist in the same space-time continuum.

He hates the CS because he failed the Fast Stream exams.

I’m now working on a little academic project on Defence Transformation and engagement of our personnel. I have my own ideas of systemic faults that I think should be addressed.

I’d welcome comments (pm if you prefer) of things that you feel could be addressed to make the Forces more efficient and more effective given the challenging fiscal environment and strategic setting.

Two nettles to grasp:

1. No clear strategic plan
I’m now working on a little academic project on Defence Transformation and engagement of our personnel. I have my own ideas of systemic faults that I think should be addressed.

I’d welcome comments (pm if you prefer) of things that you feel could be addressed to make the Forces more efficient and more effective given the challenging fiscal environment and strategic setting.

Three political problems. Everything else seems to be just sh*t flowing downhill from these.

1. No clear strategic plan. Who are our enemies? How do we contain them? I alliance with whom?
2. What configuration of forces can execute Point 1?
3. Point 2 cannot be achieved in a climate of constant cuts.

And bring IT Services back in house, SPOC times to fix issues much to long.
We've just tried that, hugely underestimated the cost and SQEP needed not to mention the risk. Even spending more than £165K per day on contractors we're doing a dismal job.

There's a reason we paid Atlas so much.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet.... permanently ceasing any form of Arms plot, Ensuring all Regts are parts of Corps to allow better cross posting in location (Corps Armour, Inf etc), making inter Regt postings the norm, minimising PD to a smaller cohort (stop moving the guards around, make PD an individually posted soln). 3 years as norm for all with an intent for second postings in the same loc. Push responsibility down the CoC to allow minimisation of HQ staff, make PH1 trg the same for all (no capbadge trg est), make PH2 trg the same for all in corps/trade (no guards, para coys etc). Simplify and minimise assurance activity, promote a warrior ethos in all corps, don't select comds for staff skills or staff offr for comd ability, Re-focus on outputs not process, resource activity properly or cut it, make comds accountable for soldiers taking leave in year, train pers before you send them to new posts. Oh and make sending reply to all e-mails a ******* hanging offence.
Apologies, broken nights sleep.

You mean actually implement the Jackson plan that started with making big regiments of at least 3 battalions of regulars and 1 of Reserves and immediately dies as no one wanted to stop the Arms plot as that was simple whilst managing posting individuals is a bit tricky ?

In terms of changes within my area of the MoD, I'd specifically reassess the role of the FDO in SDA/DE&S. Having to get them onboard with supporting your requirements for upskilling and training is great if they put their weight into supporting your applications. However, in my experience, most FDOs perform the bare minimum of lip service to their obligations and you have to chase them for weeks to get things signed, often resulting in missing out on opportunities. Fortunately, I've been lucky to have a dilligent FDO in recent years.

I'd also stop trying to save cash by ditching lower grade posts and lumping the associated admin and day to day duties they do on the Engineer next up the chain while expecting them to still meet outputs.

More generally across the MoD, I'd like to see use become less focused on MoD Main and Abbeywood.

Rant over, as the kettle has just boiled.

In terms of changes within my area of the MoD, I'd specifically reassess the role of the FDO in SDA/DE&S. Having to get them onboard with supporting your requirements for upskilling and training is great if they put their weight into supporting your applications. However, in my experience, most FDOs perform the bare minimum of lip service to their obligations and you have to chase them for weeks to get things signed, often resulting in missing out on opportunities. Fortunately, I've been lucky to have a dilligent FDO in recent years.

I'd also stop trying to save cash by ditching lower grade posts and lumping the associated admin and day to day duties they do on the Engineer next up the chain while expecting them to still meet outputs.

More generally across the MoD, I'd like to see use become less focused on MoD Main and Abbeywood.

Rant over, as the kettle has just boiled.
FDO??

I forgot the old rule of explaining an acronym first. Functional Development Officer. Someone assigned to be responsible for guiding your professional development and assisting in adding authority to your applications for training etc. In reality, they just do it for the incentives and do the bare minimum. Thus ending up more as just another bottleneck.

Dominic Cummings and humility do not exist in the same space-time continuum.

He hates the CS because he failed the Fast Stream exams.
I didn’t like fast streamers, they normally fouled up a left others with the flak. Make of that what you will. Humility isn’t common in the SCS anyway and party politics has nothing to do with it.