What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

I forgot the old rule of explaining an acronym first. Functional Development Officer. Someone assigned to be responsible for guiding your professional development and assisting in adding authority to your applications for training etc. In reality, they just do it for the incentives and do the bare minimum. Thus ending up more as just another bottleneck.

Dominic Cummings and humility do not exist in the same space-time continuum.

He hates the CS because he failed the Fast Stream exams.
I didn’t like fast streamers, they normally fouled up a left others with the flak. Make of that what you will. Humility isn’t common in the SCS anyway and party politics has nothing to do with it.

nsstab

Clanker
I forgot the old rule of explaining an acronym first. Functional Development Officer. Someone assigned to be responsible for guiding your professional development and assisting in adding authority to your applications for training etc. In reality, they just do it for the incentives and do the bare minimum. Thus ending up more as just another bottleneck.

A bit of context is required there. What we had was a bunch of people merrily going along doing their jobs with varying degrees of success. Then they got told you need to be someone's career mentor and spend 20% of your time on it. Large swathes of these people were never interested in mentoring or managing in the first place and were just told this was something extra they had to do.

There's no reward or targets for this task beyond the bare minimum, compared to the day job where they get rewarded based on their performance, so shocker it got mostly chinned off.

Recently added up all the "you should spend x% of your time on this task that isn't relevant to your day job". Between fdo duties, supporting the functions, volunteering and other bits apparently I'm supposed to spend upwards of 30% of my time not performing my primary role. And then we wonder why the mod is considered inefficient!

apparently I'm supposed to spend upwards of 30% of my time not performing my primary role.
Alternatively, based on a 40 hour week, you're expected to devote 12 hours a week of your own time to these things.

One wonders if/how many of the rapidly upwardly mobile fit either of those 2 categories.

If the (admittedly hypothetical) answer could be shown to be "Very few/None" then we'd have to conclude that the organisation places no actual value on the outcomes expected of those outputs.

And then we wonder why the mod is considered inefficient!

Only if you view the betterment of your juniors, contributing to wider society etc as de facto "inefficiency"...

Only if you view the betterment of your juniors, contributing to wider society etc as de facto "inefficiency"...
If the Management feel these to be valuable parts of the serving persons work life, then they should surely build them into the job spec, and ensure that the organisation has the capacity for them, rather than implementing a system where they are an afterthought, an overhead and injurious to the overall quality of service life.

MOD Contracts.............. Have an abysmal record in all matters. Compass Gp/NAAFI for starters. Just how much did that poorly written contract cost the taxpayer?
Not necessarily a poorly written contract. The winning company has to operate with very low margins which leads to what looks lie a poor service. Pay peanuts get shit output. Or better still pay Fujitsu and don't get what you want.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
And then we wonder why the mod is considered inefficient!

Lately I have taken to blessing whichever Beneficent Deity* shoved me out of the Civil Service, angry ,bewildered and murderous......

*[ Insert Name Here]...Anoia+, Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers currently leads a small but select group....

+ a minor goddess on the Discworld.When someone rattles a drawer and cries "How can it close on the damned thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?", even though the person might be genuinely irritated or even exasperated, it is as praise unto Anoia#.

Faithful Anoians (worshippers of Anoia) purposefully rattle their drawers and complain every day. Anoia also finds objects that roll under other objects and things stuck in sofa cushions, and is considering handling stuck zippers. She eats corkscrews.

# The Temple of Anoia is on Cable Street, just over the bookies' shop.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread as I didn’t want to make a new, more pointless, one.
Taking on boards all of the opinions above, do you think there’s a solid future in JHub? Asking as civilian looking to join as a mid rank CS. Never served, or been a CS.

Not necessarily a poorly written contract. The winning company has to operate with very low margins which leads to what looks lie a poor service. Pay peanuts get shit output. Or better still pay Fujitsu and don't get what you want.

If the Home Office had paid Fujitsu, they would have got what they wanted rather than the utter clusterfcuk that a particular system became.

endure

GCM
If the Home Office had paid Fujitsu, they would have got what they wanted rather than the utter clusterfcuk that a particular system became.
It was Fujitsu that supplied the dodgy kit that sent quite a few postmasters to prison.

What about thousands of Ex MQ’s rejected by Councils and HA’s as unfit for human habitation and requiring extensive and expensive rectification before being sold on?
Yup, we really screwed housing badly. Procurement and disposals done by serving personnel was never a very sensible plan. The legal and contracts teams of the big corporates like BT/Virgin for their internet access - another case in point, laughed all the way to the bank.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yup, we really screwed housing badly. Procurement and disposals done by serving personnel was never a very sensible plan. The legal and contracts teams of the big corporates like BT/Virgin for their internet access - another case in point, laughed all the way to the bank.

Oh yes, was great sucess.
sell the ‘very old’ 40’s brick and and built to the highest standards MQ’s off to Annington for peanuts, gift the ‘old’ 60’s half reasonable ones to the Council, keep the ‘newer’ 80’s slums.

Latest Threads