What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

The FCO pay CEA for about 150 kids; I'm not sure of the MOD, but it must run into the thousands. FCO officers (as we have discussed on another thread) tend to favour local schools or the French International School network and move towards the IB. They also retain CEA for up to five years when back in the UK.
I know of some who joined the FCO much assisted by the offer of BSA. The understanding was it is granted on first foreign posting for the duration of the child's education. For one chap, (for similar reasons to the RA not posting people in the CEA zone away from Larkhill), this involved having an overseas portfolio which he had to work from a desk in London and do region trips to for a month at at time.

2011 figures
CEA costs the Department about £180 million a year to support the 7,900 children of about 5,500 service claimants; about £70 million of this is to settle the tax liability that would otherwise be incurred by claimants serving in the UK. Parents are also required to contribute a minimum of 10% of the school fees; many pay much more, as the maximum allowance covers less of their chosen school’s fees. The 7,900 service children are distributed across about 440 schools, 25 of which are state boarding schools, and they represent about 11% of the total number of children in boarding schools in the UK.

Johnny Mercer ducked the detail of the question in 2019. Not sure if his written reply is published anywhere.
If the Labour Lass hadn't been on a specific fishing trip and asked something that avoided Data Protection - might have had more of a response

One observation though, the tax liability? Public sector job pays tax on a public sector allowance that goes back into the exchequer to fund.... the public sector.
I suppose it keeps people employed...

Last edited:

QRK2

LE
A lot of schools hold Easter and summer schools using their boarding facilities - either sports coaching with well-known sports people, or run international student courses. These have all stopped. My mate was saying that has knocked £1.5M from his school's finances. Senior School fees are c £30K pa.
The effectively complete cancellation of summer lets and the fee reductions most schools have made for the summer term (reduced to 80% of days fees seems about standard, schools are still speaking other on such matters, just not as blatantly as pre-2005). Will have an impact, but must non teaching staff have been furloughed, so costs have been cut significantly.

The aspect of CV10 that will IMHO have a far bigger impact will be a speeding up of the move away from boarding by UK parents and a potentially huge drop off in the overseas market.

I did the Senior Officers' Resettlement Transition course a couple of years ago in Canary Wharf. One of the things that Steven (the facilitator some of you will know) is 'Don't even think of asking about school fees, as you will be laughed at'. I saw the colour drain from the face of a couple of the one-stars...
Unless of course they can pick up a teaching job. ;-) I know of one chap (with four children) who got out to a housemaster's job and six years later was a head, an MA(Oxon) undoubtedly helps though.

The aspect of CV10 that will IMHO have a far bigger impact will be a speeding up of the move away from boarding by UK parents and a potentially huge drop off in the overseas market.

Unless of course they can pick up a teaching job. ;-) I know of one chap (with four children) who got out to a housemaster's job and six years later was a head, an MA(Oxon) undoubtedly helps though.
My old school had boarders in the 1980s and 90s (I was a dayboy), but a change to an anti-military Headmaster meant that CEA was no longer a revenue stream and by the early 2000s, the supply of Singapore and Hong Kong boarders had dried up too.

My oldest friend re-invented himself after a reasonably successful business career and is now a Director of Studies and Head of Faculty at a fairly well-known school (he was a Housemaster at his previous school). In his case, PhD (Cantab) did him no harm either.

QRK2

LE
by the early 2000s, the supply of Singapore and Hong Kong boarders had dried up too.
That's unusual, most are running at 15-25% overseas students these days, which is a much higher proportion of those that board, despite the proliferation of overseas franchises eg Harrow (Shanghai) the far east market is still strong, but there are now almost as many from Russia and their near abroad. Though what political/sanctions issues will do to these is interesting. Also: Private schools could be laundering money, security minister warns as he launches serious crime strategy

I recall discussing schools at a dinner with a very well regarded late RLC General a few years back. His comment on why he hadn't sent is daughter to board at a particular school 'She can't speak Cantonese or Russian'.

When significant amounts of the Armed Force were stationed overseas, of course CEA made sense, but that is no longer the case. Both of my children are in State schools - my son in a primary and my daughter in a secondary and I have been perfectly satisfied with the level of education that they have been receiving. To my simple mind, CEA is no longer a defensible allowance unless you are posted to an international job and either there is no suitable school available locally or you do not wish to use the option because of exams, etc.
And if you move every two years?

And if you move every two years?
well there's the thing.

Does the Army need to move you every two years, or does it continue to move you every two years because it knows it is enabled by things like CEA. The great career merry-go-round is a self-sustaining process.

well there's the thing.

Does the Army need to move you every two years, or does it continue to move you every two years because it knows it is enabled by things like CEA. The great career merry-go-round is a self-sustaining process.
Or does it move you every two years (and argue in the face of all contrary evidence, that this is A Good Thing), in order to be able to argue The Good Thing must not be allowed to blight the prospects of the Poor Wee Children.

I'd put two things in place:
1. Establish a department to support unit future as opposed to APC managing careers. The main aim of this would be to prevent 2 massively toxic individuals from being in the CoC at the same time.
2. Stop it being acceptable for CO's to be "difficult" by the higher headquarters/CoC.
Apply both points up and down the food chain.

Or does it move you every two years (and argue in the face of all contrary evidence, that this is A Good Thing), in order to be able to argue The Good Thing must not be allowed to blight the prospects of the Poor Wee Children.
It doesn't need to move everybody, but as soon as you drop a few welfare cases in, some burn out jobs etc it becomes difficult not to move you on a regular basis. That's if you ignore the benefit of being exposed to different capabilities and ways of working.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
well there's the thing.

The career structure at the moment requires it. There's no easy way of ending the 'move every two years' model without fundamentally changing how Army careers work.

That would, of course, be a good thing but let's not pretend that changing the constant moves is a simple fix that can be done in isolation.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well Fvcking Done Mike Fvcking Jackson Admin Fvcking Biff (Airborne)
And there you have a good example of why the British Army is not 'All of One Company ' but rather

' A loose aggregation of tribes that come together for a common purpose once in a while'

- whether it's cherry berries versus 'Crap Hats' or the Household Division against the world in arms ( always bearing in mind the Primary Directive - to hold London District to the last man) nobody outside the Army gives a tupenny fúck WHAT regiment you joined from RMA.....or indeed whether you joined with a 2:1 from Brasenose after Eton.

To the non-Army world, in this country ( I have no idea how it works elsewhere) anyone in a vaguely green uniform is just 'The Army.' ...qv any armoured vehicle is axiomatically a tank and anything more than a pistol is automatically* 'A Machine Gun '

Which is to say :
- not from the same planet
- possibly aggressive , approach with caution
- probably a Tory
- and (if they have deployed on operations) likely two stops past Dagenham

* ISWYDT

Last edited:
The career structure at the moment requires it. There's no easy way of ending the 'move every two years' model without fundamentally changing how Army careers work.

That would, of course, be a good thing but let's not pretend that changing the constant moves is a simple fix that can be done in isolation.
Absolutely, and we've danced this dance before.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Absolutely, and we've danced this dance before.
It's also worth noting that it's primarily (although not exclusively) an officer problem, and it affects those on the steepest career trajectories the worst. ORs and those officers whose careers have topped out can generally manage to get more stability.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
and then observe closely to see if the 2yr rotation continues to be so fiercely defended, or whether, instead, it begins to be seen as more embuggerance than
It's already seen as an embuggrance. Most would like more stability I think, even if the moves do pay the fees. I'm not sure if that feeling extends to the VSOs that make the decisions of course...

The problem is the current career model doesn't work without frequent moves and even when/if the model finally improves, some officers will still need to move around fairly often even if not quite every two years. There are intractable problems like the need to fill jobs at dispersed units, and sites that aren't near the rest of the army like MOD main building.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Barking....

Which version of Mornington Crescent are we now playing?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Which version of Mornington Crescent are we now playing?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
its more Monopoly - "Go directly to Jail, do not pass go, do not collect CEA allowance"

Latest Threads