What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Functional armies do functional clobber, and they know that Regimental History is irrelevant, compared to the unit's prevailing leadership culture, Right Here and Right Fvcking Now.
I joined HQ Land just around the time General Sir Mike Jackson (The Prince of Darkness PBUH) decreed that all his officers would henceforth - like him - be wearing Combat 95 plus boots as work attire.
Much-Grizzling-In-The-Mess

My boss, one star, just said : ' It's the equivalent of coming to work in jeans and a Tee shirt '

Having just arrived from a Naval HQ, the variety of barrack dress,style and colour of woolly-pully regimental b0ll0cks was a little bewildering . Plus the blasted dogs, tartan desk covers etc etc

QRK2

LE
I've always felt that May (and Heath) were the closest that the UK has come to having a Christian Democrat as PM. She certainly wasn't a traditional Tory.
Neither was Thatcher, so remarkably few of the Conservative Party PMs in the last 50 years have been, which leads on to the question of whether the traditional view of a traditional Tory has much basis in fact these days,

The major systemic problem we face is now and for the foreseeable future the senior people in all three services will be in the main white, male, privately educated, self entitled and over privileged clones of each other.

Nick Carter has in his usual virtuesignally was put out his annual missive on how we should be nice to our black, Asian, and minority ethnic servicemen and women. He has of course forgotton about white women and those members of the LGBTI community and the odd Jedi.

The major systemic problem we face is now and for the foreseeable future the senior people in all three services will be in the main white, male, privately educated, self entitled and over privileged clones of each other.

Nick Carter has in his usual virtuesignally was put out his annual missive on how we should be nice to our black, Asian, and minority ethnic servicemen and women. He has of course forgotton about white women and those members of the LGBTI community and the odd Jedi.

How long has that idiot got before they put him out to grass?

At least another year but he's like Putin, he will just change the rules to suit him. More that a whiff of Idi Amin crossed with Benny Hill in this picture though:

1594489186650.png

CEA is indefensible for UK-based assignments; at some point a non-Conservative government will be elected and they will scrap it there and then. Assisted places went years ago and no attempt has been made to bring them back. It will be exactly the same with CEA.
Elsewhere I mentioned the impact CEA has on the finances of the independent sector and the number of schools who went under in 2011 after the last set of big CEA changes.

Its been fascinating since then to listen to those in private schools talking about the ongoing mass market move from the state sector.

It looks like the pushy middle classes who went for the postcode roulette and good local state schools have spun a double zero during lockdown. Lots of kids being pulled out of local primaries and being put into local prep schools (not sure if similar things are happening at secondary level?)

Some private schools will shortly not rely so heavily on CEA as a financial buffer, though at least 35 are likely to close in a year or so (like 11 Unis that are circling the drain but won't say as they need the fees they are collecting now to survive).

So what?
CEA can be cut as its 2nd and 3rd order impacts on the wider economy have been ameliorated.
State schools standards will slip as the % of pushy parents and able pupils will drop
If CEA goes, lots of OFs and ORs who want good education for their kids and haven't won a postcode lottery will consider leaving for civvy jobs that will pay school fees that used to be part of the package. This could be both good and bad, might reduce the frozen tranche; might reinforce it...

At least another year but he's like Putin, he will just change the rules to suit him. More that a whiff of Idi Amin crossed with Benny Hill in this picture though:

View attachment 488887
Again? Allegedly there was a wiff of CEA sailing close to the wind about him and his house a few years back

Euclid

War Hero
Again? Allegedly there was a wiff of CEA sailing close to the wind about him and his house a few years back
As there is with many others at Lt Col and above who are destined to spend the last 12 years or so of their careers in London, Upavon, Larkhill etc, have a pad in Wiltshire, Dorset or Hampshire, and who desperately seek out ways to retain CEA.

Now that's a triumph of hope over experience.
I dunno. As of this morning we've had an Armed Forces minister swearing blind he's cracking down on inequalities.

More convincing, admittedly, had the assurance not come from a former Foot Guards officer, but he was SG so I'll cut him some slack.

I joined HQ Land just around the time General Sir Mike Jackson (The Prince of Darkness PBUH) decreed that all his officers would henceforth - like him - be wearing Combat 95 plus boots as work
That directive triggered a copycat movement across the army.

In no time flat, desk wallahs, mahogany bomber pilots, shiny arses of all sorts had the market for CS95 sewn up.

None of which had been calculated for when letting the CS95 supply contract, which had assumed normal jogging in trousers LW and JHW in peacetime billets.

The shortfall that resulted was most acutely felt in units on operations, whose soldiers could not get replacement garments, even when the arrse was literally hanging out of their strides

Well Fvcking Done Mike Fvcking Jackson Admin Fvcking Biff (Airborne)

That directive triggered a copycat movement across the army.

In no time flat, desk wallahs, mahogany bomber pilots, shiny arses of all sorts had the market for CS95 sewn up.

None of which had been calculated for when letting the CS95 supply contract, which had assumed normal jogging in trousers LW and JHW in peacetime billets.

The shortfall that resulted was most acutely felt in units on operations, whose soldiers could not get replacement garments, even when the arrse was literally hanging out of their strides

Well Fvcking Done Mike Fvcking Jackson Admin Fvcking Biff (Airborne)
There was no shortage at BLMF. You were allowed to exchange three sets a month...

Elsewhere I mentioned the impact CEA has on the finances of the independent sector and the number of schools who went under in 2011 after the last set of big CEA changes.

Its been fascinating since then to listen to those in private schools talking about the ongoing mass market move from the state sector.

It looks like the pushy middle classes who went for the postcode roulette and good local state schools have spun a double zero during lockdown. Lots of kids being pulled out of local primaries and being put into local prep schools (not sure if similar things are happening at secondary level?)

Some private schools will shortly not rely so heavily on CEA as a financial buffer, though at least 35 are likely to close in a year or so (like 11 Unis that are circling the drain but won't say as they need the fees they are collecting now to survive).

So what?
CEA can be cut as its 2nd and 3rd order impacts on the wider economy have been ameliorated.
State schools standards will slip as the % of pushy parents and able pupils will drop
If CEA goes, lots of OFs and ORs who want good education for their kids and haven't won a postcode lottery will consider leaving for civvy jobs that will pay school fees that used to be part of the package. This could be both good and bad, might reduce the frozen tranche; might reinforce it...
I'm struggling to think off hand what companies pay school fees this day and age. Shell and BP used to; the FCO still do (for a very small group of applicants) and that's about it.

A mate who is the Bursar of a minor Independent School has seen student numbers plummet for the new academic year and there is also a large number of outstanding fees as monthly direct debits have been cancelled by parents.

I'm struggling to think off hand what companies pay school fees this day and age. Shell and BP used to; the FCO still do (for a very small group of applicants) and that's about it.

A mate who is the Bursar of a minor Independent School has seen student numbers plummet for the new academic year and there is also a large number of outstanding fees as monthly direct debits have been cancelled by parents.
HO staff deployed on accompanied tours overseas are also eligible for CEA. For example, in Pakistan you can be accompanied by children up to the age of 11, but there is no schooling provision for children in secondary education. Therefore, CEA is your only alternative.

So what?
When significant amounts of the Armed Force were stationed overseas, of course CEA made sense, but that is no longer the case. Both of my children are in State schools - my son in a primary and my daughter in a secondary and I have been perfectly satisfied with the level of education that they have been receiving. To my simple mind, CEA is no longer a defensible allowance unless you are posted to an international job and either there is no suitable school available locally or you do not wish to use the option because of exams, etc.

As HM highlighted, those companies that still send people abroad may pay some fees or just pay more.
It's not without issue in some sectors ( The Halo Trust pays private school fees for CEO’s children )

It has dramatically dropped since the 90s, digital revolution effect maybe?

I'm guessing your friend might in one of the estimated 35 schools not doing well, or is about to add to the list. It's a pretty rubbish state of affairs that often has to do with governor level decisions and location/available population.

At this point; 2 things seem to have made a big difference; investment in digital and proportion of day pupils.

Locally, it's been the independents that have been able to leverage those advantages. I recognize that may not reflect the whole picture

Last edited:
When significant amounts of the Armed Force were stationed overseas, of course CEA made sense, but that is no longer the case. Both of my children are in State schools - my son in a primary and my daughter in a secondary and I have been perfectly satisfied with the level of education that they have been receiving. To my simple mind, CEA is no longer a defensible allowance unless you are posted to an international job and either there is no suitable school available locally or you do not wish to use the option because of exams, etc.
Not just overseas but with longer in 1 location at home

As HM highlighted, those companies that still send people abroad may pay some fees or just pay more.
It's not without issue in some sectors ( The Halo Trust pays private school fees for CEO’s children )

It has dramatically dropped since the 90s, digital revolution effect maybe?

I'm guessing your friend might in one of the estimated 35 schools not doing well, or is about to add to the list. It's a pretty rubbish state of affairs that often has to do with governor level decisions and location/available population.

At this point; 2 things seem to have made a big difference; investment in digital and proportion of day pupils.

Locally, it's been the independents that have been able to leverage those advantages. I recognize that may not reflect the whole picture
A lot of schools hold Easter and summer schools using their boarding facilities - either sports coaching with well-known sports people, or run international student courses. These have all stopped. My mate was saying that has knocked £1.5M from his school's finances. Senior School fees are c £30K pa.

I did the Senior Officers' Resettlement Transition course a couple of years ago in Canary Wharf. One of the things that Steven (the facilitator some of you will know) is 'Don't even think of asking about school fees, as you will be laughed at'. I saw the colour drain from the face of a couple of the one-stars...

The FCO pay CEA for about 150 kids; I'm not sure of the MOD, but it must run into the thousands. FCO officers (as we have discussed on another thread) tend to favour local schools or the French International School network and move towards the IB. They also retain CEA for up to five years when back in the UK.

Latest Threads