What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

One might argue that if it saves a section of Bootnecks from PVRing every year, it's probably worth it.

But that would rely on Defence understanding that people are an asset, not a sunk-cost liability...
But lack of action and having to do "honking" jobs like FP isnt going to change?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

But lack of action and having to do "honking" jobs like FP isnt going to change?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
But they can do it in multicam and give it billy big bollocks ;)

Surely MTP is just Multicam that we paid Crye to DPMise.
My understanding is that we did it ourselves (hence the MT in the pattern) to save us paying Crye.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My understanding is that we did it ourselves (hence the MT in the pattern) to save us paying Crye.
I think we paid Crye a few million for the rights to the colours, then tweaked the design to make it look more like the old DPM pattern.

The US Army took the alternate approach of giving noting to Crye and tweaking the colours just enough not to trigger copyright issues.

Companies don’t get post these days though, do they? Most of the mail going through the average mail room is Amazon parcels for employees.
I give up: do they/don't they? I'll bet they still get junk mail, at the very least.

Were you born without a sensayumour, or have you had it surgically removed?

I genuinely worry about you, sometimes.

No offence intended:)

No ire from me just highly amused not far back in the thread @Caecilius was arguing black was blue that uniformity was the backbone of 3 Cdo Bdes spirit of cohesion. Now you are stating that to a greater or lesser degree most units in the Bde will wear two different uniforms.

In a nano second 16 Bde and the majority of the crawlers in Andover will be proffing their own versions of Crye or Silvermans looky likey and we will as usual maintain our lasting tradition of looking like a bunch of clowns at any Tri Service or Multinational event.
And this line of conversation will have unintentionally highlighted an institutionalised, systemic trait we really, really, really could do without.

Obsessing over the minutiae of uniform.

FFS - every other army in the developed world understands it to mean "every one identical".

Variegated regimental clobber = Ruritanian fin de siecle Principality minor princeling, in his dotage, harking back to the good old daze.

The Banana Republic Of Grate Britain and Norniron, perhaps.

Functional armies do functional clobber, and they know that Regimental History is irrelevant, compared to the unit's prevailing leadership culture, Right Here and Right Fvcking Now.

Last edited:
Variegated regimental clobber = Ruritanian fin de siecle Principality harking back to the good old daze.
Wot them daze when those fine Regiments and ships were protecting the slave trade or those daze when they were stealing whole countries and raping them of raw materials?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FFS - every other army in the developed world understands it to mean "every one identical".

Variegated regimental clobber = Ruritanian fin de siecle Principality harking back to the good old daze.
This is a strange argument because it's obviously factually wrong the moment you think about any other army. Name a comparative army that doesn't have some kind of regimental kit variation?

US? Nope, loads of variations.
France? Same.
Israel? Much more similarity than us, but still definitely variegated (in the true meaning of that word).

Functional armies do functional clobber, and they know that Regimental History is irrelevant, compared to the unit's prevailing leadership culture, Right Here and Right Fvcking Now.
Everyone knows that prevailing leadership is important. That isn't mutually exclusive to acknowledging regimental history. You can have both.

I think it's not a coincidence that the most professional US units/formations/services are the ones most concerned about their history. I would argue the two most professional outfits I've ever worked with are the USMC and the 75th, both of whom have an obsession about their history that beats any British unit except perhaps H Div.

Wot them daze when those fine Regiments and ships were protecting the slave trade or those daze when they were stealing whole countries and raping them of raw materials?
Those daze when the Crown and the Hon. East Injah Co. plc were doing a fine (and low cost, mark you) job of suborning local Nabobs into Imperial service, to the mutual benefit, in ascending order, of the Nabobs, The Exchequer, The Crown, and - at No 1: The Company :thumleft:

And the opium trade, and the sugar plantations and associated slavery, obviously.

And that military coup in the late 1600s, that put a foreign Johnny on the throne.

Fella didn't speak a word of English, dontcha know!

Last edited:
Thos daze when the Crown and the Hon. East Injah Co. plc were doing a fine (and low cost, mark you) job of suborning local Nabobs into Imperial service, to the mutual benefit, in ascending order, of the Nabobs, The Exchequer, The Crown, and - at No 1: The Company :thumleft:

And the opium trade, and the sugar plantations and associated slavery, obviously.

And that military coup in the late 1600s, that put a foreign Johnny on the throne.

Fella didn't speak a word of English, dontcha know!
Getting to the top of any pile requires blood, sweat and tears.

Historically, the mark of a civilised society atop the pile or enroute there, has generally been to outsource the provision of said blood, sweat and tears to others.

UK had it made clear to it in 1956, that it was no longer atop the pile.

Until a necessary survive/thrive impetus is found, it's all just deckchairs on the titanic time.

Everyone?

I'll try to remember to do a straw poll next time I'm socially distanced queuing outside Waitrose, Aldi Lidl and Tesco.

I suspect the results will be at best inconclusive. :-D
No queues outside Lidl.....
Waitrose is a 'kin 'mare.
The panic has receded in Tescos.

I'm minded to roll out a thesis based on supermarket punters' relative stress and anxiety based on store ceiling height and make parallels between the comfort of low ceilings and infant/baby emotions relating to swaddling and maternal comforting closeness.

I give up: do they/don't they? I'll bet they still get junk mail, at the very least.

Were you born without a sensayumour, or have you had it surgically removed?

I genuinely worry about you, sometimes.

No offence intended:)
Over a decade ago, I worked in a big corporate that went paperless and got rid of its mail room because it was being abused with employees Amazon deliveries. My current company neither receives nor sends mail other than the daily parcel freight of goods in and out. And stopping junk mail isn’t difficult.

So your “joke” was rather dated; rather like you, I’m guessing. Perhaps you still believe the Army operates on ruler-written memos and people still put them back into the infernal mail to avoid actioning their content?

If a sense of humour involves calling Northern Ireland “Norn Iron”, or the East India Company “Hon East Injah co PLC”, I’m quite glad I haven’t got one!

If a sense of humour involves calling Northern Ireland “Norn Iron”, or the East India Company “Hon East Injah co PLC”, I’m quite glad I haven’t got one!
I kinda feared that might be the case.

Sam Eagle character type

Nothing wrong with that, in itself, but we're both glad, I suspect, that we don't have to share an office :)

On balance, I reckon it's your loss :thumleft:

CEA is an anachronism. With the exception of those posted overseas where there is no provision for their children to be adequately educated, it is time for it to go.
It is a well thought out and balanced allowance and nothing to do with grasping social climbers who want something for nothing:

Last edited:
It is a well thought out and balanced allowance and nothing to do with grasping social climbers who want something for nothing:

I saw that earlier; this will be the catalyst for getting rid of CEA if you are assigned anywhere in the UK.

Now that's a triumph of hope over experience.
CEA is indefensible for UK-based assignments; at some point a non-Conservative government will be elected and they will scrap it there and then. Assisted places went years ago and no attempt has been made to bring them back. It will be exactly the same with CEA.

QRK2

LE
CEA is indefensible for UK-based assignments; at some point a non-Conservative government will be elected and they will scrap it there and then. Assisted places went years ago and no attempt has been made to bring them back. It will be exactly the same with CEA.
One can hope and it doesn't have to be a non conservative, if she had remained PM Theresa May would have done everything she could to make things difficult for independent schools.

Whilst Assisted Places are long dead this sort of (Non Government) organisation does something similar on a smaller scale: Home | Royal National Children's SpringBoard Foundation

One can hope and it doesn't have to be a non conservative, if she had remained PM Theresa May would have done everything she could to make things difficult for independent schools.
I've always felt that May (and Heath) were the closest that the UK has come to having a Christian Democrat as PM. She certainly wasn't a traditional Tory.

Latest Threads