What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

Faded

Clanker
I was under the impression that 1PARA were already kitted out in Crye. I have definitely seen some 16 Bde HQ personnel knocking around in Crye, so I assuming that they were at 1 PARA at some stage prior to being posted.
1 Para are SFSG so not under 16AA Brigade.

I was under the impression that 1PARA were already kitted out in Crye. I have definitely seen some 16 Bde HQ personnel knocking around in Crye, so I assuming that they were at 1 PARA at some stage prior to being posted.
Or devotees of Silvermans :)

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No ire from me just highly amused not far back in the thread @Caecilius was arguing black was blue that uniformity was the backbone of 3 Cdo Bdes spirit of cohesion. Now you are stating that to a greater or lesser degree most units in the Bde will wear two different uniforms.
They're fundamentally changing role and brigade structure. Some of the army units may not remain in the new structure once things settle down; the others will likely end up in Crye for uniformity reasons (and because it's better kit).

Last edited:
the others will likely end up in Crye for uniformity reasons
At the price of it and the fact that the country is entering the possibly hardest economic depression since the 1930s I doubt Defence will be left with the funds.

I could understand the Silverman's tax being paid in the 1990s, when the kit was truly crap, but not now.
You underestimate the infantile jealousies that exist within the mythical 'top third'

At the price of it and the fact that the country is entering the possibly hardest economic depression since the 1930s I doubt Defence will be left with the funds.
It's brought and paid for.

Whats the difference between Crye and MTP? Is Crye a different pattern and is it superior to MTP? I hope we don't go down the same path as the USA and Australia with each service having its own camouflage pattern. The USN and RAN look daft with their grey camouflage uniforms on board warships. And why do the USMC need a different pattern from the US Army. All four branches of the US Armed Services plus the Coast Guard managed pretty well with Woodland pattern for all of them for several decades not too long ago.

It's brought and paid for.
I was referring to the Army bit, i.e. non commando in the Bde. Then you have to consider the replenishment costs, commercial prices are astronomical and I bet MoD procurement negotiated such a good deal that we probably pay more than retail.

Although they'll still roll their sleeves up...

I suspect not, mainly because the Army won't stump up the money.

More broadly, the Corps is trying very hard to be "not Army", which is not really that different from the USMC trying very hard to be "not US Army". Both are "returning" to their maritime roots, after a couple of decades of working very hard to ignore those roots because they were boring and not in keeping with their "elite" nature. Now apparently working from ships and being forward deployed is where it's at. Who knew?

Oh, and that allyness saves retention figures.
I hope the SF allyness helps when they stag on the gangway and man the FP weapons at posture Bravo...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Whats the difference between Crye and MTP?
We couldn't afford Crye apparently... MTP is as close as we could get without being clobbered for licensing fees.

I hope the SF allyness helps when they stag on the gangway and man the FP weapons at posture Bravo...

you would be shocked, shocked I tell you when the Corps doesn't like that tasking.

But at how much extra cost?
One might argue that if it saves a section of Bootnecks from PVRing every year, it's probably worth it.

But that would rely on Defence understanding that people are an asset, not a sunk-cost liability...

We couldn't afford Crye apparently... MTP is as close as we could get without being clobbered for licensing fees.
Surely MTP is just Multicam that we paid Crye to DPMise. So as expensive maybe more. Getting Crye to then make their uniforms in MTP was what was probably to expensive.

Latest Threads