What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

Just to make it a little more complete.
I was trying to be tactful... :-D

In all seriousness, however, I could understand if the Army was keeping the numbers of SO2s and SO1s that it had tied up in Regular Staff PIDs if they were an expansion pool for mobilisation i.e. when the balloon goes up, we not having that bloody awful STAB commanding 72 Sig Regt, so you are the CO Des upon mobilisation. But even that doesn't seem to have occurred to the system.

I still find it incredible that we have Bdes commanded by 1*s when most armies seem to manage with full Colonels.
They're not proper Brigades.

They're Regiments.

We have Lt Colonels commanding regiments - if a single Battalion can be counted as a regiment . . . . .

it is indeed most perplexing . . . .

I was trying to be tactful... :-D

In all seriousness, however, I could understand if the Army was keeping the numbers of SO2s and SO1s that it had tied up in Regular Staff PIDs if they were an expansion pool for mobilisation i.e. when the balloon goes up, we not having that bloody awful STAB commanding 72 Sig Regt, so you are the CO Des upon mobilisation. But even that doesn't seem to have occurred to the system.
Everyone has to have a train set to command, groupthink like that doesn't just grow on trees...

You might end up with party rings...

Oh. That's not a problem - you can't really. WFH has been a complete mess for most of the army. A handful of staff branches that don't need to access classified IT have managed it ok but otherwise the army has been effectively shut down for a couple of months now.

Maybe if we get more infrastructure in place including classified home IT then it might work but it'll still be pretty difficult.
I don’t think many organisations have found WFH to be much else but a mess. Maybe not a complete mess, but a mess.

I think we will see far wider acceptance of people working at home; many organisations just didn’t allow it. Now they’re learning that they can trust people to work productively from home (and they’re exposing some they can’t trust!). So there will be many more people working from home 2-3 days a week.

We’re going to see a big change in office design and usage; a much more circulatory, hot desk set up. It was already happening in some companies; check out Vodafone’s HQ.

The big challenge for organisational leadership is how to harness that new environment productively.

GDog

Clanker
I don’t think many organisations have found WFH to be much else but a mess. Maybe not a complete mess, but a mess.

I think we will see far wider acceptance of people working at home; many organisations just didn’t allow it. Now they’re learning that they can trust people to work productively from home (and they’re exposing some they can’t trust!). So there will be many more people working from home 2-3 days a week.

We’re going to see a big change in office design and usage; a much more circulatory, hot desk set up. It was already happening in some companies; check out Vodafone’s HQ.

The big challenge for organisational leadership is how to harness that new environment productively.
By and large WFH has been pretty seamless in our business. We mainly transact online which helps, but people always had the ability to do the odd day WFH so when quarantine started it was essentially using systems we already had in place. Our team doesn't appear to have slowed down and I've enjoyed the extra time and money saved from not going into the stupid bloody office enormously. I've also enjoyed being able to cook better food at lunch and being able to control my immediate environment.

Just prior to this one person in my group was trying to get agreement to change his WFH pattern and getting resistance via excuses from line management about us "not being that kind of company" or "studies show it's not as efficient" which has now been proven to be a load of bollocks. Hopefully when this is over we don't ever go back to the way it was, but several of us are eyeing management announcements suspiciously when staff bring the subject up and they waffle on about the value of being in a sodding meeting room.

It hasn't been perfect - one person got the whole company's post diverted to their home address which isn't ideal, there were also security problems with staff WFH that need credit card data. But for the most part it's been fine and the problems it did cause are certainly solvable.

I'm so glad now I didn't take on a job offer with HMG as there's no way they could have achieved anything other than a cluster **** during this.

This sounds familiar. I joined last year in my mid 30s, mortgage in London, no kids (and none planned) and partner with a serious career and friends there.

Once I'd been inside a few months it became obvious the job didn't seem to be offering much by way of excitement and intellectual challenge and wasn't likely to for years, if ever. Coupled with the pay cut and the cost and hours spent travelling to and from bases, it became clear that it wasn't going to work. A family illness was the final nail in the coffin.
By and large WFH has been pretty seamless in our business. We mainly transact online which helps, but people always had the ability to do the odd day WFH so when quarantine started it was essentially using systems we already had in place. Our team doesn't appear to have slowed down and I've enjoyed the extra time and money saved from not going into the stupid bloody office enormously. I've also enjoyed being able to cook better food at lunch and being able to control my immediate environment.

Just prior to this one person in my group was trying to get agreement to change his WFH pattern and getting resistance via excuses from line management about us "not being that kind of company" or "studies show it's not as efficient" which has now been proven to be a load of bollocks. Hopefully when this is over we don't ever go back to the way it was, but several of us are eyeing management announcements suspiciously when staff bring the subject up and they waffle on about the value of being in a sodding meeting room.

It hasn't been perfect - one person got the whole company's post diverted to their home address which isn't ideal, there were also security problems with staff WFH that need credit card data. But for the most part it's been fine and the problems it did cause are certainly solvable.

I'm so glad now I didn't take on a job offer with HMG as there's no way they could have achieved anything other than a cluster **** during this.
Little confused here.
You joined last year, and then didn't take the MOD job offer?
Guessing this was either a role as a MOD CS or otherwise an initial contractor role that was then offered as permanent and you turned down?

E2A: ah got it - RN recruiting pathways etc.

That challenges my unconscious bias that it's only the Army's World Beating Crapita that is dysfunctional

Last edited:

GDog

Clanker
Little confused here.
You joined last year, and then didn't take the MOD job offer?
Guessing this was either a role as a MOD CS or otherwise an initial contractor role that was then offered as permanent and you turned down?

E2A: ah got it - RN recruiting pathways etc.

That challenges my unconscious bias that it's only the Army's World Beating Crapita that is dysfunctional
After leaving the AF and taking a few days to mull over what had happened/gone wrong I applied for several jobs, including some in HMG. By the time they were organising interviews etc I'd been in my current job for about two months. I went through the interview process anyway to see what they were like/what the offer was going to be but ultimately decided to stay where I was in the private sector.

The last 8 years, I’ve worked entirely from home; we deliberately structured our business around home working and virtual capacity. If we need to get our team together or meet investors and suppliers, we use a workspace provider. But we also outsource a lot of business functions to virtual providers; we’ve got people producing business critical work that we’ve never met.

TBH there was a huge leap of faith in this. I’d previously worked for a company that positively encouraged home working. But I spent a lot of time on the road; working at home really wasn’t any different from working in a hotel room. And, in a multi-national company, meetings often included remote participants. But networking senior project staff is very different from trusting key functions of your own business to be done at home.

My brief time with the ADF Reserve involved almost entirely doing work at home. It’s simply not possible to bring people together over the vast distances that are Oz.

I bet Postman Pat and his blackandwhitecat had a larf the first time they rocked up at his front door with that lot :thumleft:
Companies don’t get post these days though, do they? Most of the mail going through the average mail room is Amazon parcels for employees.

GDog

Clanker
Companies don’t get post these days though, do they? Most of the mail going through the average mail room is Amazon parcels for employees.
Unfortunately some of our customer facing workflows still involve post. We'd like it not to be that way but it's not something we control unilaterally.

*some Bootnecks.....aside from some specilast units everyone else is still in PCS and Virtus.
Nope.

Under FCF every Commando within 3 Cdo X will wear Crye; the issue of the kit starts before summer leave. There is an order in for C8 and plate carriers.

Nope.

Under FCF every Commando within 3 Cdo X will wear Crye; the issue of the kit starts before summer leave. There is an order in for C8 and plate carriers.
Where does that leave Army, RAF and the blue part of RN members of the Bde?

Where does that leave Army, RAF and the blue part of RN members of the Bde?
If they're Commandos, in Crye.

If not, in PCS.

I get your point, so direct your ire at CGRM...

Faded

Clanker
Nope.

As padantic as it is your post said Bootnecks ARE in whereas it should say WILL be in. For the time being the majority of the corps are still in PCS, Virtus and good old SA80 A2s (the A3s got used once and were sent back...)

If they're Commandos, in Crye.

If not, in PCS.

I get your point, so direct your ire at CGRM...
No ire from me just highly amused not far back in the thread @Caecilius was arguing black was blue that uniformity was the backbone of 3 Cdo Bdes spirit of cohesion. Now you are stating that to a greater or lesser degree most units in the Bde will wear two different uniforms.

In a nano second 16 Bde and the majority of the crawlers in Andover will be proffing their own versions of Crye or Silvermans looky likey and we will as usual maintain our lasting tradition of looking like a bunch of clowns at any Tri Service or Multinational event.

Last edited:
No ire from me just highly amused not far back in the thread @Caecilius was arguing black was blue that uniformity was the backbone of 3 Cdo Bdes spirit of cohesion. Now you are stating that to a greater or lesser degree mosy units in the Bde will wear two different uniforms.
Although they'll still roll their sleeves up...

In a nano second 16 Bde and the majority of the crawlers in Andover will be proffing their own versions of Crye or Silvermans looky likey and we will as usual maintain our lasting tradition of looking like a bunch of clowns at any Tri Service or Multinational event.
I suspect not, mainly because the Army won't stump up the money.

More broadly, the Corps is trying very hard to be "not Army", which is not really that different from the USMC trying very hard to be "not US Army". Both are "returning" to their maritime roots, after a couple of decades of working very hard to ignore those roots because they were boring and not in keeping with their "elite" nature. Now apparently working from ships and being forward deployed is where it's at. Who knew?

Oh, and that allyness saves retention figures.

No ire from me just highly amused not far back in the thread @Caecilius was arguing black was blue that uniformity was the backbone of 3 Cdo Bdes spirit of cohesion. Now you are stating that to a greater or lesser degree mosy units in the Bde will wear two different uniforms.

I was under the impression that 1PARA were already kitted out in Crye. I have definitely seen some 16 Bde HQ personnel knocking around in Crye, so I assuming that they were at 1 PARA at some stage prior to being posted.

Latest Threads