What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

Have you tried sacking someone recently?
It’s a matter of will - and following the correct process.

It really isn’t that difficult.

bob231

War Hero
I don’t understand the hatred for JSP101.

Out of curiosity, who has read the very latest version on the defence intranet?
I have (I was involved in the consultation on its redesign, because I'm sad).

At the risk of alienating the entire site, I saw a lot of value in the old version. I accept all points about the inclination for seniors to focus on the trivial (maybe this is a good combat indicator for narrow-mindedness?) but the old one gave you a sufficiently prescriptive document that you could hand it to someone with very little formal education in the written word and get something back that wasn't utter garbage. The new one assumes a much higher level of competence, unless they've changed it substantially since release.

I do accept that for much of the MoD it was a massive sea anchor when it was more prescriptive. That mindset (mindless conformance to process) is another thing I'd like to change about the MOD.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He probably left the Army before you were born.

Don't sweat it.
Indeed. And unsurprisingly he's wrong about staff college. 50% of the score comes from blind marking of standardised assesments*. The remainder is quite tightly controlled assessment of more general exercises.

Recent ICSCs have seen a PQO and an ETS officer come top of the course.

*There's some discussion to be had about how relevant these exams are to actually being a good staff officer, but that's a different point.

Do not assume a new IT platform is the solution to a problem that may or may not even exist. The IT solution WILL become another new problem in its own right.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, even if someone's OJAR may look better for introducing the "innovation".

Under no circumstances allow Capita near anything.

Never, ever go for a big bang rollout and not leave the old system in place as back up for a while.

Before rolling out a new project, look back at the past three iterations. If all you are doing is resetting back to a previous setting, why are you doing it? Why did it not work last time?

bob231

War Hero
In this specific case, the problem that needs addressing is JPA elements starting to degrade as their underlying technology is no longer supported by web browsers. While the upgrade will probably be a costly trainwreck, this is a genuine problem.

Indeed. And unsurprisingly he's wrong about staff college. 50% of the score comes from blind marking of standardised assesments*. The remainder is quite tightly controlled assessment of more general exercises.

Recent ICSCs have seen a PQO and an ETS officer come top of the course.

*There's some discussion to be had about how relevant these exams are to actually being a good staff officer, but that's a different point.
What's that you say? Stonker jumping on his favourite hobby horse, without so much as a shred of evidence?

How unexpected.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What's that you say? Stonker jumping on his favourite hobby horse, without so much as a shred of evidence?

How unexpected.
He may well be right that this is what it was like when he did it. Things have moved on a little in the last 30 years though...

It’s a matter of will - and following the correct process.

It really isn’t that difficult.
A few years ago I'd have agreed, now, we're on our arrse, you've got no chance of binning someone for being weak and ineffective. Throw in a few major sanctions and a gross misconduct and you might be on to something.

bob231

War Hero
So, that's what's meant by 'things have moved on a little in the last 30 years' :-D

I guess going downhill could be presented as progress of a sort :thumleft:
I do usually enjoy your posts. But this is thoroughly disingenuous: things have changed and quite dramatically, and the utter collapse of manning is only one of them.

Edited to add quote

Last edited:

Latest Threads