What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

Why - because my views are different from yours?

If anyone is intolerant, it's you - you expect people to think the same way you do, then get angry about it when they don't want to. People like me don't go on the TV/Streets etc and push our views into other people's faces - your type does. If anyone lives in a hate filled world - I suggest you take a long look in a mirror before making judgments on other people.
You have no idea what 'type' I am. You could deduce from the contents my postings elsewhere on this site that I'm a recently-retired former RAF officer in his 50s, and now working as a consultant. You could then presume with a degree of certainty that I'm male, white and straight. Such a profile would indicate a conservative thinker and probably an Conservative voter. Some of those assumptions are correct.

How, on this basis, do you come to the reasoning that I get angry at you and push 'my' ideas into your face and to people like you (as you said)? I'm not angry with you; I pity the narrow, paranoid and hate-filled world you inhabit, where you fear 'the other'. I just hope that you are no longer serving in the forces or in a position to influence the thoughts of others.

I can see why Crash left this site; when he revealed the extent of his illness he told me he received lots of messages of support, but also some pretty ghastly stuff wishing him ill, because of his liberal views.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
The curious thing is, many of those laws were created to replace earlier laws which also told people what they could and couldn't think or say. So which of those previous laws did you (both of you) think were okay or not okay?

The laws don't tell you what you cannot think. They tell you what you cannot do. People like mrdude don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

The laws don't tell you what you cannot think. They tell you what you cannot do. People like mrdude don't seem to be able to tell the difference.
The courts struggle with it too, as demonstrated by the Ashers Gay Wedding Cake case.

endure

GCM
The courts struggle with it too, as demonstrated by the Ashers Gay Wedding Cake case.
That's how the law works sometimes. Mrdude moaning about freedom of speech because he's been ROPPed by the owners of a private forum for not obeying the forum rules has nothing to with the law.

There's an old German joke based on this principle.

A guy gets pulled over by the coppers for a routine vehicle check. He asks one of the officers, "What happens if I call you an Arschloch?". "Well," says the copper, "You'll get a fine for insulting a policemen." "And what happens if I think you're an Arschloch?" the guy asks. "Err, nothing..." comes the reply. "There are no laws against thinking something." "Righto," starts the driver, "In that case I think you're an Arschloch!"

I'm conscious that there's been a massive thread drift; back to the OP"s D&G about the forthcoming SDSR - will the Intelligence services get a bigger slice of the pie? Will NCA be put on a more professional footing to further tackle OCGs? Will GCHQ continue to expand and continue to emerge from the shadows and have a much more public role investigating and defeating cyber threats and cyber crime? Will the private sector grow into more frontline policing, intelligence and defence roles? Whither PREVENT strategy?

The latest thing that's peeing me off, if I ask for an additional doer due to volume of work, I get laughed at / told we hit the manning cap / contract it out....
However, somehow my Corps has found itself flooded by junior officers in just about every location, looking for jobs, soldiers to manage, AT to plan anything but the output required on the shop floor.
I don't know how to articulate WTF in an intelligent manner, but WTF.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
As Filthy-Contract remarked earlier, consultants do provide advice and skills not currently present in the client's operation and consequently get better pay but are off the very ruinous payroll, benefits, insurance etc that employers are bounden to. When challenged by usually inebriated ex-pats as to 'why are you here and what do you do?' My sometimes glib remark is ''I fly in Business Class, borrow your watch, tell you the time and then send in massive bills." My almost 45 years of experience counts for something and I keep up with tech changes, and still find that basics like using a calculator is considered mind-numbing mathematics. Skills have eroded fast in this generation!

Latest Threads