What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

He had received several informal warnings about posting from his previous employer, about two years ago, because of the sensitivity of his role. I lurked for ages and only started to post when I left the RAF mid last year, because of the pressure on SP not to post on SocMed.
Interesting - when I worked in MB my 2* actually tasked me to monitor this site! Made me official Arrse monitor!

Was this for the 'MoD Bright Ideas' programme? I know some VSOs can be in desperate need of original thought, but that is truly stretching things.
No - it was to respond to some of the bollocks posted about a certain capability with some much-needed facts!

The more secret side of the government is struggling with how to recruit and retain people who have a SM footprint.

If you do, then there is no chance of being a "clean skin" as there's a fair easy process of data mining SM and cross-correlating with CCTV etc.

If you don't, then it's an immediate red flag, and you are under suspicion.

There was an interesting article on it floating around a couple of weeks ago; I'll see if I can find it again.

The more secret side of the government is struggling with how to recruit and retain people who have a SM footprint.

If you do, then there is no chance of being a "clean skin" as there's a fair easy process of data mining SM and cross-correlating with CCTV etc.

There was an interesting article on it floating around a couple of weeks ago; I'll see if I can find it again.
It is sui generis. I know some very senior people who cultivate a wide social media profile, yet everything they post is anodyne and pretty harmless. There's those who might have only a LinkedIn profile - which is pretty much devoid of content and image.

Certainly, now that I work for a consultancy, we pretty much live on LinkedIn and get fed a stream of appropriate material by our comms people to publish. In stark contrast with the MOD, with the recent quite by a VSO along the lines of "it's easier to drop a bomb than to get a tweet authorised." Although this appears to be an absurdity, it recognises how once something is launched into cyberspace, it can continue to inflict damage, globally, for decades. Just think of stuff people have posted 10-15 years ago on Facebook which has been mined to cause archaeological outrage.

Oktoberfest photos, anyone? Blackface party, Justin? Pictures you which you wished had not been taken, Andrew?

Last edited:
Has anyone sent a link to this thread to Dominic Cummings? Assuming he isn't the OP.

Struggles in a few ways. Probably the same article where the CIA say there's no point going in to the embassy in a cover role because they know your role already, having matched your postings, schooling etc to profile you.

There's also the other side, when told that there are no phones allowed in the office the bright young things look elsewhere.

Quo_vadis

Swinger
Only in the UK, and that law is quite recent - in some countries the law is very different. It depends where you live. There's also a law that says you must carry a bale of hay in your vehicle at all times, it's also illegal to eat mice on xmas day. If you put a stamp on upside down - that's an act of treason.

Just because something is the law in UK doesn't make it right for everyone in the world - and you can't change the way people think, no matter what the law says.
Comparing archaic (and effectively obsolete) laws with the protection of important civil rights in the 21st century is a bit of a stretch. (The upside-down stamp thingy is an urban myth btw.)

mrdude

War Hero
Comparing archaic (and effectively obsolete) laws with the protection of important civil rights in the 21st century is a bit of a stretch. (The upside-down stamp thingy is an urban myth btw.)
You're missing the point:

Just because something is the law in UK doesn't make it right for everyone in the world - and you can't change the way people think, no matter what the law says.

You're missing the point:

Attitudes can and do change; vide Western views on homosexuality, common law relationships, 'bastard' children, abortion, drugs etc. And in many cases, bold changes on laws have facilitated this. Granted, not likely to be welcome in theocratic societies.

mrdude

War Hero
Attitudes can and do change; vide Western views on homosexuality, common law relationships, 'bastard' children, abortion, drugs etc. And in many cases, bold changes on laws have facilitated this. Granted, not likely to be welcome in theocratic societies.
The Nazi's changed the laws to try and make people think the same way they did as well, resulting in the systematic murder of many millions of innocent people. Not all law changes and brainwashing of people is good - no matter what you seem to think.

I suppose people in the 1930's Germany thought they were 'cool and woke' because they followed the crowd and their way of thinking.........I won't be brainwashed with the constant bombardment of shit that the media put out though, I'll stick to my own way of thinking and don't give a fook if that offends you or anyone else for that matter.

par avion

War Hero
If you think people are prejudice - try being a white guy with an Indian/Pakistani girlfriend - go and visit her family and you'll know all about people being prejudice.

Point is - it happens to everyone, everywhere on some level or other - if some people can't handle that, maybe being part of the human race is not for them.
Indian parents quite often tell their adult children not to bring back a BMW.

If they ask you if you would like a drink, reply - "Yes please, Char and Pani".

See if they smile.

The Nazi's changed the laws to try and make people think the same way they did as well, resulting in the systematic murder of many millions of innocent people. Not all law changes and brainwashing of people is good - no matter what you seem to think.

I suppose people in the 1930's Germany thought they were 'cool and woke' because they followed the crowd and their way of thinking.........I won't be brainwashed with the constant bombardment of shit that the media put out though, I'll stick to my own way of thinking and don't give a fook if that offends you or anyone else for that matter.
So you believe that laws that reflect changing morés in Western countries, and specifically in England and Wales, are akin to Nazi brainwashing? Do you believe, then, that the Sexual Offences Act 1967 and the Race Relations Act 1957 (et seq) are 'cool and woke'?

Ok, I'll ask you out straight:

Do you believe that homosexual acts should be a criminal act?

Do you agree with homosexuals serving in HM Forces, and if not, why not?

Do you believe that persons should be discriminated in employment, education and housing on the basis of their skin colour?

Should there be equal pay for women?

Should adherents of the Church of Rome be allowed to vote?

Should women be allowed to vote?

Should Jews be allowed to own land?

These are all examples of what you seem to think is brainwashing.

If you do oppose these and other laws have you sought to overturn them by, say, lobbying your MP?

Last edited:

mrdude

War Hero
So you believe that laws that reflect changing morés in Western countries, and specifically in England and Wales, are akin to Nazi brainwashing? Do you believe, then, that the Sexual Offences Act 1967 and the Race Relations Act 1957 (et seq) are 'cool and woke'?

Ok, I'll ask you out straight:

Do you believe that homosexual acts should be a criminal act?

Do you agree with homosexuals serving in HM Forces, and if not, why not?

Do you believe that persons should be discriminated in employment, education and housing on the basis of their skin colour?

Should there be equal pay for women?

Should adherents of the Church of Rome be allowed to vote?

Should women be allowed to vote?

Should Jews be allowed to own land?

These are all examples of what you seem to think is brainwashing.

If you do oppose these and other laws have you sought to overturn them by, say, lobbying your MP?
Last time I answered some of these questions truthfully - I was put on ROP's for a month, make of that what you will. Free speech on the forum is not allowed if it doesn't follow the PC rhetoric.

Last time I answered some of these questions truthfully - I was put on ROP's for a month, make of that what you will. Free speech on the forum is not allowed if it doesn't follow the PC rhetoric.
On that basis you don't agree with these laws that, when enacted, were controversial yet only a few years later they're regarded as the norm, and are based on equanimity and equality of humanity. And drop the 'PC' nonsense; dinosaur might be a more appropriate epithet for you.

What a strange and hate-filled world you must inhabit.

mrdude

War Hero
Why - because my views are different from yours?

If anyone is intolerant, it's you - you expect people to think the same way you do, then get angry about it when they don't want to. People like me don't go on the TV/Streets etc and push our views into other people's faces - your type does. If anyone lives in a hate filled world - I suggest you take a long look in a mirror before making judgments on other people.

On that basis you don't agree with these laws that, when enacted, were controversial yet only a few years later they're regarded as the norm, and are based on equanimity and equality of humanity. And drop the 'PC' nonsense; dinosaur might be a more appropriate epithet for you.

The curious thing is, many of those laws were created to replace earlier laws which also told people what they could and couldn't think or say. So which of those previous laws did you (both of you) think were okay or not okay?

Latest Threads