What systemic issues would you change in the MOD or in the single Services?

D

Deleted 60082

I’m now working on a little academic project on Defence Transformation and engagement of our personnel. I have my own ideas of systemic faults that I think should be addressed.

I’d welcome comments (pm if you prefer) of things that you feel could be addressed to make the Forces more efficient and more effective given the challenging fiscal environment and strategic setting.

Stop giving huge money contracts to companies who will then rinse you and return poor service.
Inspect every part of every contract and work out how a company can screw you over before signing it.
Have get out clauses and penalties for poor service / products.

D

Deleted 60082

Stop giving huge money contracts to companies who will then rinse you and return poor service.
Inspect every part of every contract and work out how a company can screw you over before signing it.
Have get out clauses and penalties for poor service / products.
Good points, but where does the MOD get the expertise for that?

Consultant/external companies. Bet your bottom dollar that's what the other companies do.

I'm a consultant in Air Traffic Control and I get brought in where there is a knowledge shortage. I bring my expertise to provide solutions for areas that companies have no experience of and it's going to be short term work so not worth employing someone. The company wins by not having to employ someone who is going to need a decent salary, sick pay, vacations etc. OK they pay a decent whack to have me but I'm short term.
MoD would only need someone or a team to look over the draft contract and advise where they're exposed and how to plug the gaps, job jobbed.

Usually from ex officers who have set up their own companies - they give out back handers and dodgy deals to get contracts, and then fleece the tax payer.
Then there needs to be more robustness on the choosing of the consultants, specifically around their expertise in the area which they're needed for. In contracts cases it sounds much more likely to be lawyers and not ex grunts.

They (DE&S/SDA) could stop shafting internal promotees compared to the cash being thrown at externals. Always makes for a fun atmosphere when half the team are on 5-10k less a year than the other half who were just recruited but don't bring any experience with them. Low morale doesn't make for efficient support.

I'd also love for someone in SDA or DE&S HR to realise that while filling ever post going with ex-Navy (or any ofer branch) seems desirable, they ain't always what the job needs and often aren't the team players people think.

Start holding industry partners to account for shortfalls in their delivery performance (though MoD have never been good at contracts.

As an aside, I quite enjoyed reading that to fill a project teams' vacant slots..... we basically poached (good one Gattaca) from our Industry Partner teams working for us on the same project.... thus majorly denting their ability to deliver.

D

Deleted 60082

Then there needs to be more robustness on the choosing of the consultants, specifically around their expertise in the area which they're needed for. In contracts cases it sounds much more likely to be lawyers and not ex grunts.
Which makes me wonder why Capita is still the go-to consultancy.

Seriously ?

Is it beyond those at the MOD to agree a contract and then demand that that contract is carried out for the specified price / cost as per the specifications of the contract ?

D

Deleted 60082

Seriously ?

Is it beyond those at the MOD to agree a contract and then demand that that contract is carried out for the specified price / cost as per the specifications of the contract ?
The vast majority of service a CS staff in the MOD have NO commercial/real world contract experience. The same as ‘risk’; most service leavers will say that they understand ‘risk’ yet in the financial services sector, say, it broken down into a number of areas and is highly mathematically modelled. Possibly we need to educate decision makers of what ‘risk’ is and not ‘will I get an IED strike if I follow this COA’.

Seriously ?

Based on previous evidence the answer is obviously a resounding yes.

The vast majority of service a CS staff in the MOD have NO commercial/real world contract experience.
And I dare say that these are not the people who are dotting the I's and crossing the T's on contracts either.

It is a problem that is endemic throughout the whole CS and not confined to the MOD.

But you have identified your first systematic fault. Get someone who can agree / write a clearly defined, legal contract and then start working your way down.

Which makes me wonder why Capita is still the go-to consultancy.
Chap has to have a job after he retires/leaves, doncha know?

Remove the gordian knot that is APC*.
If it is as unreformable as claimed, then it is surely a black hole for monetary as well as talent value

*from orbit. its the only way to be sure

Latest Threads