What stove / cooker ?

Right I cant find my jet boil I've probably lent it out and never got it back ( it was falling apart anyway ) so looking to get a replacement so what's better a Jetboil Zip Camping Stove - Blacks or a Primus Eta Solo Stove - Blacks
I've had a Jetboil for about five years. Useful and compact, but I've always been a bit disappointed with the boil time. Never seems to be as good as the advertised figures.

So personally, if I was replacing I would give the Primus Eta a go.

Have a look on-line for the magazine TGO (The Great Outdoors?) - I think they have done reviews.

Yup, I've got a Peak 1 multifuel which I bought for exactly that reason. It cost me about £45 twenty years ago and is still going strong.

I was sick of losing half my water when I used my metal mug and lid so opted for a cooking pot

Optimus Terra Solo Cookset

and my stove is one of these

Vango Folding Gas Stove - Vango For Perfect Camp Meals

I did think about the jetboil style of set up but every time I see someone use them either the lid is missing or the igniter is on the blink.

Have virtually the same set-up (different brands),but I also purchased an adaptor,to allow you to use,the aerosol shaped cans as well,makes a lot of difference,if you can't get the normal gas refills!

I was sick of losing half my water when I used my metal mug and lid so opted for a cooking pot

I did think about the jetboil style of set up but every time I see someone use them either the lid is missing or the igniter is on the blink.
Good choices. When my now 6 year old Jetboil karks it (replaced igniter and burner head) I'll go for something like that.

C

cloudbuster

Meths. Drink it or burn it. Available at tramp's outfitters worldwide. ISTR the mob carry it too.

I can echo that. I use it when overnighting on a 2 day hike. Lightweight, powerful and nails. I've got the Coleman Sportster as well but that's only used if I've using the car - I've had a few funny looks siphoning my own petrol for it - but agree with DanJ, nails bit of kit

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I got a swedish trangia as it was dirt cheap, I'd still be using it not if it wasn't for the price of meths !
buy it from a woodwork supplies type place - works out at 6 quid or so for 5 litres. or trago mills if you are near.

meths works a treat in crusader burners, even better in a simple pop can burner as I can do a boil in 30ml or less.

the best gas stove by far was the epigas scorpion but it didnt have a preheater tube so they stopped it. good stable base and took any cartridge so you could use cheaper diy blow lamp ones instead of the sit on camping type. i have a tiny self ignite primus one which is good but rarely used due to gas prices so I use meths burners, hexi or a 20 year old sigg firejet.

I used to use the hexy and mess tin combo as issued but not these days.

If off on the hoof/kayaking etc., for more than a weekend I'll use the Swedish Army Trangia set up, seen in the first picture.

If it's only a day or two's faffing about in the cuds (no, that's not a dig at the T.A.) with the dog, I'll take the mini Trangia windshield and the meths (milk optional) burner as seen in the second picture. When used with a small kettle it's ideal for making both a brew and heating a boil in the bag meal.

The third picture shows a pack away idea for kettle and burner/windshield, although it's best to bag them before packing in the kettle - unless you like your brew tainted like some Corps...

Attachments

Latest Threads