What sort of person in an OPMI?

#1
Just got back from ADSC yesterday and got a pass! Happy fcukin days.
Anyway I'm hoping to join the Int Corp and have the familiarisation visit coming up. I was just wondering what sort of person does Int accept? I've heard it can be hit and miss. My careers adviser mentioned simple and private people. Any input much appreciated.
 
#4
DigitalGeek said:
1. Check the sticky at the top of the forum.

2. Its CORPS not Corp.

3. Don't fart till your arrse is ready!

DG
I dont use the sticky because its difficult to find the right information. Ok then i missed an S, fcukin sue me. Advice is welcome, but its dicks like you that stop newcomers joining the forum.
 
#6
Goony said:
DigitalGeek said:
1. Check the sticky at the top of the forum.

2. Its CORPS not Corp.

3. Don't fart till your arrse is ready!

DG
I dont use the sticky because its difficult to find the right information. Ok then i missed an S, fcukin sue me. Advice is welcome, but its dicks like you that stop newcomers joining the forum.
Whoa feller! Calm your ******* rockets down! It's dicks like me who will stop you making a CNUT of yourself, before you even get in the FCUKING door. Do me a favour? Reconsider your last statement and then get back to me. Otherwise go join the Pioneers.
 
#10
Ok apologies DG I appreciate the help and advice. Just everytime a new guy post on the forum someone seems to have a a dig at them. Bilbos comment got me a big worked up there. Again sorry DG any new help is welcome.
 
#12
Goony said:
Ok apologies DG I appreciate the help and advice. Just everytime a new guy post on the forum someone seems to have a a dig at them. Bilbos comment got me a big worked up there. Again sorry DG any new help is welcome.
Because its usually with a question that has been asked a thousand times before and the poster has not checked the Int Corps forum or the search function. The Int Corps recriuting and familiarisation thread is quite exstensive and a little time spent reading it will certianly help. its also quite entertaining in places!

However in answer to your question an OPMI should be able to:

Work unsupervised.

Be mature enought to hold the rank you will get very early in your career.

Have an enquiring mind.

Have the balls to stand up for your assessments and interact with senior officers on a regular basis, which you will get plenty of opportunity to.

More will be expected of you at Phase 1.

Im sure there are many more points the more experianced Corps personnel on the site will be able to add.
 
#13
Old_Gregg said:
Goony said:
Ok apologies DG I appreciate the help and advice. Just everytime a new guy post on the forum someone seems to have a a dig at them. Bilbos comment got me a big worked up there. Again sorry DG any new help is welcome.
Because its usually with a question that has been asked a thousand times before and the poster has not checked the Int Corps forum or the search function. The Int Corps recriuting and familiarisation thread is quite exstensive and a little time spent reading it will certianly help. its also quite entertaining in places!

However in answer to your question an OPMI should be able to:

Work unsupervised.

Be mature enought to hold the rank you will get very early in your career.

Have an enquiring mind.

Have the balls to stand up for your assessments and interact with senior officers on a regular basis, which you will get plenty of opportunity to.

More will be expected of you at Phase 1.

Im sure there are many more points the more experianced Corps personnel on the site will be able to add.
Oh really, since when? I was a complete mong in Phase 1 training and looking back it amazes me how I completed it. There are some very senior people in the Corps that are complete biffs when it comes to their soldiering skills and it hasn't done them any harm.
 
#14
Erm... because our DS at ATR repeatedly told us so. They meant in terms of reliability, setting an example and showing leadership potential, not being really good at green stuff.

They knew we would be getting promoted after phase 2 and though they didnt treat us any differently they made it clear the sort of things they wanted to see from potential NCO's. I didnt mean they expected us to be SAS material! I should have worded the above a little better.

And Im not trying to cast aspersions on any of my Int Corps bretheren.
 
#15
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Old_Gregg said:
Goony said:
Ok apologies DG I appreciate the help and advice. Just everytime a new guy post on the forum someone seems to have a a dig at them. Bilbos comment got me a big worked up there. Again sorry DG any new help is welcome.
Because its usually with a question that has been asked a thousand times before and the poster has not checked the Int Corps forum or the search function. The Int Corps recriuting and familiarisation thread is quite exstensive and a little time spent reading it will certianly help. its also quite entertaining in places!

However in answer to your question an OPMI should be able to:

Work unsupervised.

Be mature enought to hold the rank you will get very early in your career.

Have an enquiring mind.

Have the balls to stand up for your assessments and interact with senior officers on a regular basis, which you will get plenty of opportunity to.

More will be expected of you at Phase 1.

Im sure there are many more points the more experianced Corps personnel on the site will be able to add.
Oh really, since when? I was a complete mong in Phase 1 training and looking back it amazes me how I completed it. There are some very senior people in the Corps that are complete biffs when it comes to their soldiering skills and it hasn't done them any harm.
Remember that when most of us did basic we did it at Depot and it was a purely Int Corps thing once the guys and girls started going off to ATRs to do Phase 1 then they were seen by DS as needing to be slightly better as Old Gregg stated.
 
#16
Old_Gregg said:
Erm... because our DS at ATR repeatedly told us so. They meant in terms of reliability, setting an example and showing leadership potential, not being really good at green stuff.

They knew we would be getting promoted after phase 2 and though they didnt treat us any differently they made it clear the sort of things they wanted to see from potential NCO's. I didnt mean they expected us to be SAS material! I should have worded the above a little better.

And Im not trying to cast aspersions on any of my Int Corps bretheren.
I see, ATR staff in lying outrage. What next, they start shagging the recruits? The DS can tell you what they like, unfortunately sprogs tend to believe everything they're told by their basic trg cpls. There are stipulated standards a basic trained soldier must achieve, these have been decided by someone pretty high up the foodchain. ATR DS can expect the moon from Intelligence Corps recruits, but they're not necessarily going to get it.
 
#17
As I said, we wern't treated any differently so the criteria we met was the same as everyone else's. They didnt expect the moon either, again I already said as much in my previous post. They expected a bit more maturity and spark, considering our chosen trade and rank straight out of training.

Dont you think it might be a good thing for Int Corps recruits to be a credit to their capbadge as early on as ATR?

I wasnt a credulous "sprog" either I was 23 when I joined, the average age of us Int Corps lot was about 21 anyway with more life experiance than most recruits. I understood what they expected and quite frankly I fcuking agree.
 
#18
Old_Gregg said:
As I said, we wern't treated any differently so the criteria we met was the same as everyone else's. They didnt expect the moon either, again I already said as much in my previous post. They expected a bit more maturity and spark, considering our chosen trade and rank straight out of training.

Dont you think it might be a good thing for Int Corps recruits to be a credit to their capbadge as early on as ATR?

I wasnt a credulous "sprog" either I was 23 when I joined, the average age of us Int Corps lot was about 21 anyway with more life experiance than most recruits. I understood what they expected and quite frankly I fcuking agree.
So If you join the INT CORPS at 18 your basic DS expect more maturity? As Intelligence Corps soldiers we're not going to be skirmishing up hills (in the main). I would also like to know how many Corps DS you had. If you have a Cav full screw as your sect comd, what the fuck does he know about us?
 
#19
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Old_Gregg said:
As I said, we wern't treated any differently so the criteria we met was the same as everyone else's. They didnt expect the moon either, again I already said as much in my previous post. They expected a bit more maturity and spark, considering our chosen trade and rank straight out of training.

Dont you think it might be a good thing for Int Corps recruits to be a credit to their capbadge as early on as ATR?

I wasnt a credulous "sprog" either I was 23 when I joined, the average age of us Int Corps lot was about 21 anyway with more life experiance than most recruits. I understood what they expected and quite frankly I fcuking agree.
So If you join the INT CORPS at 18 your basic DS expect more maturity? As Intelligence Corps soldiers we're not going to be skirmishing up hills (in the main). I would also like to know how many Corps DS you had. If you have a Cav full screw as your sect comd, what the fuck does he know about us?
Yes and so they should, that 18 year old will be an NCO in as little as nine months from day one, plus that 18 year old will have had his maturity and bearing looked at during his Chicksands recruit assessment.

It doesnt matter what the DS know about the Corps, they know we get promoted straight away though.

Again I'll point out that it wasnt green skills they expected us to excell in. Im just giving this lad a bit of advice based on my experiance.
 
#20
Forgive me, I feel its not really my place to speak out... but it's doing my tits in!!!!

DS staff give us a hard time because they don't know what the Corps is or really does. Some feel inferior etc and some wish they were a part of it. Either way people fear what they don't know and so all our DS stories will be different.

Before I joined the Corps' world I grew up speaking Arabic (Libyan), currently speak Japanese, French and Spanish. Still struggling with hinglish :) then I was infantry for a bit (Argyll's) who made no use of my youthful inexperience nor languages. It was the middle 80's after all.

That aside, each specialist unit has its own role/place in the grand scheme etc but there has to be a common standard - per ejemplo;

Basic green skills should be a given. Basic as in; personal admin in the field, not going down with the lurgie etc and the ability to use and maintain a personal weapon (no - not use a condom and know not to try and flush it down the loo when used) - BASIC basics!!

Is the name Int Corps and perhaps the image/"reason d'etre" conveyed a bit misleading?

... shouldn't the pre-requisite for entry be:

a) a modicum of common sense
b) having made a few mistakes in life, you can still bring that experience with you and put it to use in the Corps
c) the ability to mix with, appreciate and learn from other people from a different walk of life from your own
d) to be able to listen, learn and think for yourself thus having a wider appreciation for what's going on around you
e) to have watched (even if half asleep) those 80's progs on de bono's lateral thinking
f) to go to DISC and sit in lessons thinking "they have to TEACH people this? Doesn't everybody think like this? FCUK!!!!"
g)the ability to light your own fart without melting your 80's issue zoot suit to your cheeks (where do you think the shell suit came from?)
h) above all a sense of humour :)

Age upon entry? No younger than 25 but preferably 40ish.

That's just my view but it's sincere and meant with the best intentions.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads