What sort of memory have I got?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by KhakiCrab, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yeah, yeah, I know. Cue all the gags about ageing and memory loss, etc, etc.

The boy has got a Packard Bell desktop (it was a gift - wouldn't have paid money for it!) and it has a mere 512 Mb of RAM. 'Tis his birthday next week and SO1 Domestic has tasked me to go out and buy him some more memory.

There are two snags with the long-hairded Sgt Major's application of Mission Command:

1. Despite my best efforts (poor) at interrogating the PC, it won't tell me what type of RAM it uses.

and

2. The actual box itself is wrapped up in a swoopy Packard Bell plastic moulded casing, so I can't get into the damn thing to either a; see for meself what sort of memory it's got, b; see whether there is a spare slot on the motherboard for more memory or c; put in the extra memory once I've bought it.

Any thoughts?

Helpful ones would be preferable :wink:

2. When the computer first boots up, go into BIOS and it should tell you what motherboard you have.

Google the motherboard and with any luck it will give you all the guff you need.

3. I think that is the least of his problems, he need to get into the PC after he buys memory!!!

KhakiCrab, do you have the destruction manual, it must show you some detail of how to upgrade memory? If no manual, Google the PC and see if you can download a pdf file on it.

Jim

4. You could try Support on the Packard Bell site to help identify your model and then either use their guide for upgrading or do as Dogmeat said and try a site like Crucial.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/

Good luck!

5. Download a wee application called "SiSoft Sandra Lite". It's by far the best pc hardware scanner I have used. Will tell you pretty much everything you ever need to know.

6. Everbody seems to be comming up with good ideas with regards to memory scanners but have lost the fact he cannot get into his computer to change the memory, he has been given a link to PackardBell. Hopefully he can input his PC type and serial number and be able to get hold of a manual telling him how to take the thing apart, if not can anyone help him with that, it would be better. :)

Jim

7. Go here

http://www.belarc.com

Download the advisor tool and run it. It'll tell you just about everything you need to know about your system. I've used it to support people for years. The Crucial scanner is just a modified version of it.

8. Cheers for all the replies :D

If I fcuk up now it's all my fault :roll:

Once again, TVM :compress:

9. Easiest way is to open the box, count the number of ram sticks, then divide by total ram to work out what memory is on each stick. Then remove one and count the number of pins there are that connect it to the mother board. Takes 5 mins.

10. It's a PC world special - how hard do you think they make it to open considering some of the lower primates they employ as "technical staff" there?

11. Download CPU-Z (v1.50). Extract it to your desktop, run it. Look at the tabs named "Memory" and "SPD".

That will tell you everything about your memory.

12. It sounds similar to the one highway junior has, IIRC you have to gently prize the front off and it will give you access to the screws that hold the sides on. Once you've done this follow the advice that has been given by my other learned arrsers 8)

13. This is only to be used as a last resort. The featured model of angle grinder is apparently excellent for Packard Bells. The usual safety precautions should be followed like kicking out the dog/cat/kids and probably the significant other half as well. They will no doubt give you constant good (or bad) advice whether you want it or not. Ear protection, eye protection and a fire extinguisher in case the carpet catches fire are advisable but of prime importance is an anti-static wrist strap. I'm not sure how or where they should be worn but just follow any advice on the packet even if it is in Mandarin Chinese.

Lie the Packard Bell case on its side and start. Ignore the smell of burning as the rug can be put out later. Next door had a skip delivered and you can chuck the rug in under the cover of darkness. You can also use the rug to cover the Packard Bell should your attempt at opening the case prove unsuccessful. Carefully pull back the molten plastic (it might still be hot) and remove any sharp edges as you'll look as though you're into self harm in a big way if you don't.

The innards of the Packard Bell should now be visible or almost. Carefully extinguish anything that's still burning and blow the remaining smoke away. You should now see the motherboard which should be on the bottom of case with some sorry looking warped cards sticking out of it. Don't worry they can be straightened later in a vice. The large box that refuses to stop smoking is the power supply unit (psu) and if you haven't done so already, it's probably a good idea to unplug it from the mains before proceeding.

Carefully lever up the psu using a large screwdriver and ignore anything that breaks or drops off as it's probably not important. Hold up the psu with a pair of oven gloves (it's still smoking so obviously still hot) as it keeps dropping on your hand but then you knew that already. Underneath the psu is your memory and depending on model, you will have various rows or banks of memory. Carefully lift them out of their melted holders and using a magnifying glass, try to read what's printed on them. Of course they're made in China. Where else did you expect? If they are slightly charred, rub them on your jumper and isn't science amazing as they stick to your jumper because of the static.

Once you have identified the memory, it's probably best to put all the loose pieces and anything else that happened to have dropped off in a large box and take it all to your local PC repair shop. If questioned in the shop, the standard answer is to say, that's the last time you're ever going to PC World. Please note, this will not work if you actually go to PC World for the repairs.

I hope this might help.

Attached Files: