What songs would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Voices_in_my_head, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents (and Ladies),

I have recently attended 3 funerals of ex forces personnel. In no particular order, there have been Amazing Grace, Flower of Scotland and Scottish Soldier for an obvious Jock. Abide with Me, Jerusalem and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. The last was quite sudden and I don't think he chose the selection, as I couldn't recognise any of the songs.

So, I have indicated to W0A, that I would like an iconic song for all the decades I have lived in (currently 6) and am thinking about using the following:

50's (No not the 1850's) Poetry in motion (my first 45) Johnny Tillotson?
    60's Kites - Simon Dupree & The Big Sound?
    70's Too Much too Young - Specials
    80's Ghost Town - Specials?
    90's Wild Boys - Duran Duran (I may be in wrong decade here)
    2000 So far it's Rhianna just for the looks!

However, they can just play Rolf Harris with 2 Little boys at the end and that would kill me...Oh, sorry ...

Over to you for your favourite final passing out parade!

2. One for me at my funeral and thats Burning Bridges from Kelly's Heroes!
  3. It has to be Gregory Isaacs

Sad To Know (You're leaving)

Oh yeah,
    After you made my day
    Hurts to know you're going away
    Seems like my life begin to ruin
    Now that you're departing pretty soon
    But what more can I say, yeah

Sad to know that you're leaving
    Even though it's kinda grieving
    But I know that you'll return real soon

You can send me a postcard
    Mail it home to the same yard
    You know what loneliness brings
    But Jah will guide you out and coming in

What more can I say
    Even though it's kinda grieving
    But Jah will guide you out and coming in
    Oh yeah

My brother and I used to play it to each other whenever one or the other of us had to go away. I didn't play it at his funeral, he asked me not to as he didn't think I would be able to take it (he was right).
  4. If I'm to be burnt it has to be Fire - Strange world of Arthur Brown

If planted then it has to be Going Underground - The Jam
  5. There's a tune called " The Sleeping Warrior " by Mike Gill, it's atribute to the lads who fought in the Falklands war, it's very moving and a great tune, very popular up here in Scotland but all soldiers will like it.
  6. I have always thought "Always look on the bright side of life" would be the one to bow out to.
  7. Leader of the gang - gary glitter
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Killed By Death - Motorhead.
  9. Oasis - live forever
  10. If you have ever seen the film Alive about the plane crash in the Andes then you may remember the final sequence is an aerial shot circling round a cross on the mountain. Aaron Neville sings Ave Maria and although not the most technically perfect rendition it is the most haunting I have ever heard.

Film Clip
  11. fire starter - prodigy - just before cremation
  12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Largo, from Dvorak's New World Symphony ( Going Home) (( The music from the Hovis advert, for the philistines)) Followed by 'Ave Maria' sung by Maria Callas and out to 'Bat out of Hell' And I want wailing, weeping, gnashing of teeth and people in ashes and sackcloth!
  13. A former Master of the South Durham had the Huntsman blow 'Gone to Earth' at the graveside.
  14. Because I'll be watching from the ceiling at my funeral, I fully intend to make the 'audience' blubber.
    The first one will be Who wants to live forever by Queen
    Then... My Bijou, again by Queen

There wont be a dry eye in the house and if I do spot one, I'll haunt them if I can. (mind you, I've already comitted myself to full time haunting of the Ex Wife)
    I will then round the dismal event off with the funny version of Elvis Presleys .. Are you Lonesome tonight. It's infectious.