What so Reserve/Reserve SAS-SBS actually do?

Often you'd go through a capture phase during the exercise which probably bore little resemblance to the reality of being captured SF.
No you make a fair point. At ILLRP for example, it was taught how one could fight they're way out of that particular shelter.

R to I stuff was designed to present you in a very teaching environment, where your particular personal parameters lay. It was very skilfully structured for your personal benefit. To teach not to break so to phrase it.

Question for you old and bold then?

Once witnessed a bloke on some TA weekend / camp years ago sporting khaki beret as was our beret colour with SAS cap badge.
Story goes he had done selection and was meant to be 'helping out' with us, his old battalion.
His name wasn't Wally the walt was it, by any chance?

Robme

LE
The most interesting thing is selection. As a challenge I don’t think there is anything else like it, it would be great to get a shot of it just to see if you were up to the physical and mental challenge or if it would break you. Think it really let’s you see what you’re really made of and how much determination/strength you really have.
No selection isn’t interesting, it’s evil on earth designed to sap your mortal sole and break you into infantesably tiny bits so that the PS can scoop you up and throw you in the back of the 4tonner, as yet another failure.
If you are so keen to try it out, park at the story arms car park, load 40lbs on your back and yomp/tab to the top of Penny Fan, when you get, to the top turn around and tab down to the car park. When you get there, turn around and tab back to the top. Do this twice more, and that’s a doddle compared with the fan-dance. Oh and make sure you have enough water, least you check out, like the three who failed recently.

21 SAS (R) in my days known as the Saturday & Sunday Regiment.
22 had a nice bar, good kit and friendly, well drilled and very knowledgeable.
Never met Chris, Andy, Two Toes, 3 Fingers or any of the media stars, most seemed to shy away from a camera.

Robme

LE
21 SAS (R) in my days known as the Saturday & Sunday Regiment.
22 had a nice bar, good kit and friendly, well drilled and very knowledgeable.
Never met Chris, Andy, Two Toes, 3 Fingers or any of the media stars, most seemed to shy away from a camera.
Most have been banned from the regiment once they decided that spilling their guts in print was an acceptable way of committing treason. Mind you and given that an officer started it (De-Billiare) and the brass looked away, it’s all a bit of a farce anyway.

No selection isn’t interesting, it’s evil on earth designed to sap your mortal sole and break you into infantesably tiny bits so that the PS can scoop you up and throw you in the back of the 4tonner, as yet another failure.
If you are so keen to try it out, park at the story arms car park, load 40lbs on your back and yomp/tab to the top of Penny Fan, when you get, to the top turn around and tab down to the car park. When you get there, turn around and tab back to the top. Do this twice more, and that’s a doddle compared with the fan-dance. Oh and make sure you have enough water, least you check out, like the three who failed recently.
*mortal sole = holy blisters

In the early 80's the Artist Rifles at Duke of York's Barracks had a sudden influx of wannabe door kickers thanks to the adventures of Peter Skellen in 'Who dare's Wins'. The NCO who inducted us referred to it as their recruitment film.

Those that made it through the initial, intense phiz, buggering around the cinder track for ages (the track is still there) were sat down, lectured and shown a film demonstrating how unpleasant the selection process would be and this was before any detailed information had made it into the public domain. This was followed by a full-on probing interview with a regular Officer in order to establish dedication/mental ability. Quite a few that had passed the physical were rejected at this stage and I only passed the interview as I mentioned I went running on Barossa Common - as he apparently did.
As I was leaving an NCO told me that as I was only 17 I wouldn't be eligible for selection (Thank God).

Peg

Swinger
Do what I did ring your local unit then go along for a chat, then apply. Hardly fcuking rocket science is it.

Question for you old and bold then?

Once witnessed a bloke on some TA weekend / camp years ago sporting khaki beret as was our beret colour with SAS cap badge.
Story goes he had done selection and was meant to be 'helping out' with us, his old battalion.
When I was out doing special constable stuff next to a reservoir controlling traffic at a marathon running event a bunch of uniformed air cadets came bimbling along with their 2 instructors, also uniformed. One of the fat instructors was wearing the proper tan beret with the winged dagger/flaming sword of Damocles badge attached. They stopped to pass the time of day with me, so I asked him a couple of "what colour is the boat house" type questions. I then pointed out to him that in his position as a cadet instructor he should not really be wearing the beret, especially in front of a police officer........some other choice language was also used, let's just say he could not get it off his head quickly enough.

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I was out doing special constable stuff next to a reservoir controlling traffic at a marathon running event a bunch of uniformed air cadets came bimbling along with their 2 instructors, also uniformed. One of the fat instructors was wearing the proper tan beret with the winged dagger/flaming sword of Damocles badge attached. They stopped to pass the time of day with me, so I asked him a couple of "what colour is the boat house" type questions. I then pointed out to him that in his position as a cadet instructor he should not really be wearing the beret, especially in front of a police officer........some other choice language was also used, let's just say he could not get it off his head quickly enough.
Fun polis :p

Hopkins

Old-Salt
There's a bloke who helps out a my son's CCF (presumably the RAF equivalent of the CTT) who wears SAS wings and RAF Regt mudguards, I've no reason to believe they are not gen and sort of assume he was in 21 or 23 at some point. How do I check up on if he's entitled to the Mudguards though - I hear that they take some earning.

There's a bloke who helps out a my son's CCF (presumably the RAF equivalent of the CTT) who wears SAS wings and RAF Regt mudguards, I've no reason to believe they are not gen and sort of assume he was in 21 or 23 at some point. How do I check up on if he's entitled to the Mudguards though - I hear that they take some earning.
My guessing is if his name isn't on the "5 Miler of Death Memorial", at Biggun' Hill, he's gen. Or could be.

windswept398

Old-Salt
I met a lad on my diving course that told me he was in the sass reserve just last week. I actually had no idea the SAS would have a part time component. Seems kind of nuts. Kind of like having a TA MI5.
Told him that sounded cool. Maybe I'd try for them.
He told me to forget it, they don't take ex-military anymore. They used to be able to take on ex-military recruits, even older than the cut-off age for civilians, but not anymore.
I was annoyed by that news.
But I headed home after my dive and on the way I was driving passed the rain-soaked, dark hills and realised I wasn't so bothered about it anymore.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I met a lad on my diving course that told me he was in the sass reserve just last week. I actually had no idea the SAS would have a part time component. Seems kind of nuts. Kind of like having a TA MI5.
Told him that sounded cool. Maybe I'd try for them.
He told me to forget it, they don't take ex-military anymore. They used to be able to take on ex-military recruits, even older than the cut-off age for civilians, but not anymore.
I was annoyed by that news.
But I headed home after my dive and on the way I was driving passed the rain-soaked, dark hills and realised I wasn't so bothered about it anymore.
The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club.

Latest Threads