What size rail does this fit onto?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, May 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. Could it be a Belgian or Dutch FAL mount? See if there's a Storeman Norman around who can look up the quoted NSN.

3. Used on Rifle 7.62mm Sniper.

Further investigation may take a little time.

Q.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Maybe I should rephrase the question, what size is the rail on top of the 7.62mm Sniper rifle and are these 30mm rings?

5. The mount, as used on theL96A1, was made to hold S&B scopes so they are 30mm rings. I cannot find a reference in any publication as to the size of the dovetail on top. All that I could find on the net was this:

Sporting Services Forums

which indicates that the dovetail is 12mm. Before parting with any cash hopefully one of our resident gun doctors might be able to confirm sizes?

Q.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not all S&B are 30mm, mine are all inch bar one but I would expect 30 as a standard. also 12mm does seem awful small!

7. it looks like the mount from the Pre - A1, L96.
    can't remember scope model but I'm sure it was inch & also painted a lurverly shade of green too...

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

9. If you read the AI link the non STANAG version is the old fashioned 12mm dove tail so I am betting the original PM Rifle was the same as well.

If in doubt ask the manufacturer.

Just buy it, you can always add the words "SAS" and ebay it if it doesn't fit.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

read it but it doesnt seem to discuss the dovetail, I need better glasses as all I can see is rows of specs on rings but not the dovetail?

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

MOUNTS
    Accuracy International Mounts are machined aluminium one piece mounts with elevation built in (MOA). All 34mm mounts can be converted to 30mm using reducing rings.
    Part No Description
    3051 30mm STANDARD DOVETAIL MOUNT (28moa)
    3027 34mm STANDARD DOVETAIL MOUNT (18moa) - USE ON .338
    6371 30mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (18moa)
    2970 34mm STANDARD DOVETAIL MOUNT (28moa)
    3436 34mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (28moa)
    3108 34mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (18moa) - USE ON .338
    5656 34mm MOUNT FOR PICATINNY RAIL (45moa) - USE ON .338 DOUBLE TURN SCOPE
    4276 34mm MOUNT TO FIT AW50 PICATINNY RAIL (45moa)
    4321 34mm/30mm REDUCING RINGS (set of 4) (4 hole)
    4323 34mm/26mm REDUCING RINGS (set of 4) (4 hole)
    5655 34mm MOUNT (45moa) - USE ON .338 DOUBLE TURN SCOPE

12. Well there's only two clamps on show and one looks like the bog standard 1/2"/12mm job and the others the modern nato thingy

Having never seen a wierd non standard one between the two I would bet it's a 12mm.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well if you had said 1/2 inch! Thanks I havent used the AI stuff, It was the L42 when I was in! Just curious as if I get a few of them in and there is no use for them!

14. **** me why do people think you have mistical powers if you can mix and match your metric and imperial.

12mm is more like 1/2"-ish as it's just under but it's close enough.