What should TA adverts be like?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by fusilier50, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what we need is to advertise what we do warts and all. we need to emphasise the training we do and what we are capable of doing. we need to show the public what we can do and what we have been called upon to do and have done well.

whilst these adds may attract a few adventure craving youngsters for a while when the reality hits about real TA life they will be leaving in droves.

adventure training happens but it isnt worth the hype given in this recent advertising campaign.

who dreams them up?

2. msr

msr LE

F50,

You just managed to beat me there. I hope you don't mind me splitting your post to start a new thread?

msr

3. As mentioned on the thread below, show the TA on ops and army training. Forget the sport and AT, its not a part of the TA.

In my experience sport/AT is getting fewer and fewer people attending as everyone is too busy; take the TA cross country. 10 years ago over 100 people in the DISTRICT heats. Now under 40 in the NATIONAL (!) final.
    ET

4. Couldn't agree more - the corridors leading into our TAC are lined with nice wooden honours boards with stuff like NE District Football Champions, Cross Country Winners etc daubed all over them. There hasn't been such an entry on this board since the late 80's. Sport within the TA, certainly competitively, is more or less non existent! I remember inter company football and rugby. They were always big events on the annual calendar, now just a sad reflection on the TA we once had.

By the way, I've never jumped off a cliff into some fast flowing river like on the advert - what bollocks!!

5. Jumped into a quarry last year eventually it was sort of fun .
    Bunch of blokes in pub sunday afternoon discussing their weekend.
    Same bunch of blokes cleaning guns on endex clips of what they did
    during the weekend .
    TA where else will you get war stories to tell :thumright:

6. Remember the one What are you doing this weekend? with the Paras and the caption "dropping in on a few friends", the Rovers country driving "Going for a drive in the country" other stuff as well.

An update of that, vibrant, fast moving, with things we really do including operations.

It could show a moron having a virtual experience on a Play Station, pale and unfit, brain dead compared to a TA soldier having a real experience, fit active healty, ask the question "Which one are you?"

Make people feel challenged.

Cardinal

7. Thats what I'd go with. Some honest interviews with committed TA soldiers. Then we might get the right calibre of recruit, as opposed to ones who join for 3 months because they find that the Skydiving doesn't happen.

Please, no more of this "I'm Lt Fucknuts Cuntgash" bollocks.

8. Maybe a bit off topic for you Brits, but we had just that sort of add in the Netherlands... It showed a completely numbed out couple talking about washing their car and talking about their sad existence.
    They then started wondering about what their neighbour did. 'How does he spend his weekends?' they wondered. Next some clips were shown of their neighbour having fun on the assault course, speed marching and securing some military transport to a goat country somewhere.

The add showed the soldier heaving and panting first and glad with himself afterwards. :hump:

Cheers,

Kaye

9. Oh yeah. Forgot to say that the add worked really well too! Seemed to attract the right sort of people.

10. We have quite a bit of footage of OBUA and the like, and some other interesting bits.

Maybe if someone agreed to act as a repository (MSR?) then someagreed to edit and collate the footage (RFUK) we'd have a decent little presentation to put on YOUTUBE?

Yes, I can hear MODPR(A) screaming from here.

So what.

11. Exactly, so what!?!

If they did thier job properly the first time, then we would not have to show them up for the waste of skin that they are.

What will they do?? Fire us???? Ahahahahahahahaha!

Please?

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Thank you for your kind comments - it is always good to feel that others enjoy your work! :thumleft:

13. One of the lads from my lot is redesigning our unofficial website at present, and is working on video footage from some of the weekends and camps this year (good stuff from Lydd & Hythe, Florida, Lithuania etc).

I'll link it when it's up, but it'll be a lot better than the shite they have on the telly.

14. Whatever the broadcast media element* of the TA recruiting campaign it needs to be relevant and, most importantly, integrated with all the other elements.

It's no good showing windsurfing and underwater shark wrestling if, when a potential recruit shows up at their local TA centre the recruiting team can't back it up with real, anecdotal experience.

"I was particularly interested in the sport and outdoor activities. Do you do much white water rafting?"

"No, all that stuff on the TV adverts is pish. We go away once a year to canoe in a muddy pond and abseil out of a small tree**."

What we need is generic, genuine experience that excites the interest of potential recruits and lays down something of a challenge (not on the level of the RM adverts but more in that direction). The aim is to get a potential recruit on the phone and through the doors of a TAC with a desire to find out more about the TA and with few misconceptions that have to be corrected.

What we do not need is adverts that show a false impression of the TA or edge in the direction of waltery or other psycological disorders.

*Ooooh! Get me the media guru!

**Genuine sub unit AT experience some years ago; actually a fun weekend!

15. Couldn't agree more - the corridors leading into our TAC are lined with nice wooden honours boards with stuff like NE District Football Champions, Cross Country Winners etc daubed all over them. There hasn't been such an entry on this board since the late 80's. Sport within the TA, certainly competitively, is more or less non existent! I remember inter company football and rugby. They were always big events on the annual calendar, now just a sad reflection on the TA we once had.

In our area and in our corps we still do a lot of sport, for example in the last two months our TA regt enetered the Gunner cross country championship, last saturday our regt played in the gunner cup and then a day later my sub unit (who are the 5 div champions) played a team from chester in a district cup. IN short there is still a lot of sport being played in the TA.