What should replace CVR(T)?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by spank_the_monkey_to_death, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In an ideal world what would you guys replace CVR(T) family with i.e. wheeled vs tracked etc

Maybe opinions will differ from ex squaddies to those who are currently serving

Me, I quite like the idea of CV90
  2. Wheels and tracks

why have either when you can have both!!!!

Good cross country ,better armour than snatch(?), more room .............Damn shouldnt let MOD see it might give them ideas how to save money, just raid museums ! :twisted:
  3. The CV90 looks a tad big for FR role, or is it just the wrong perspective in the video. Knowing the present government, they'll probably just nick a load of Warriors off the Inf and rerole them for FR. Or make a load of cardboard cut outs of tanks for you to run around with. 8O :roll:
  4. Daimler Ferret?
  5. CV90 looks good to me. magazine of 24 rounds and you can fit your personal body guards in the back. The Blues & Royals should get a couple of them. ;)
    Plus Alvis would give them a discount after all the good work testing their vehicles in combat for the first time during the Falklands war.
  6. CV90 looks more like an IFV like Warrior....
  7. Cool video. Do the Swedes not do damcon??
  8. It does look a bit big for task though. Would the German Wiesel not be a better idea. Light, armoured, air portable, multi role. Perfect. And it looks cool as fcuk
  9. I can't see why they haven't done what they did with chiefy-chally and just give it a hull made of new materials. I'm sure with new technology, stabilisation etc could be added without affecting the weight by a whole lot. As for the drive train and suspension, see these blokes
    I know the airlift capability has been dropped from the FRES program, but I think it is a short sighted attitude and a capability that we should have kept. I hope time proves me wrong, but going by past experience it won't!
  10. What he said.

As an "old" warrior, CV 90 is an IFV therefore it cannot realistcally be a replacement for a 'recce' vehicle. Its way too big amongst other things. Unless one adopts 'Septic' / Soviet style recconaisance doctrine then, IMHO, it's out.

But, and this is the biggy, put all the options on all the vehicles.
    Off the shelf. Now.
    Never mind talking about it for say 5 years, then fcuking up the entire process( like say Trigat, LAW 80, SA80, Bowman et al) with an in service date after much wringing of hands of, conservatively, 2020. Perhaps. If you're lucky. Maybe.
  11. Why not go for Ice Cream vans, or Bratty Wagons - they always stop stop soldiesr from doing the job they were given, perhaps this could drastically reducecasualties in the next conflict??
  12. IMHO our current recce vehicle will be good for a few more years yet, now that it's converted to diesel and fitted with BGTI or ESPIRE and TNTLS. But if we want something now and off the shelf then we should go for the Canadian 'Coyote' which I believe is a slighly modified version of the 'Septic's' LAV tbc! On OPFOR in 2000 we had just one attached to us from the 'Strathcona Horse' and with its radar gave us a very slight advantage!

Armored reconnaissance vehicle

The Coyote is currently on of the best surveillance platforms in the world

Entered service 1996
    Crew 4 men
    Dimensions and weight
    Weight 14.4 t
    Length 6.39 m
    Chassis length 6.39 m
    Width 2.5 m
    Height 2.69 m
    Main gun 25-mm chain gun
    ATGW ?
    Machine guns 2 x 7.62-mm
    Engine Detroit Diesel 6V53T
    Engine power 275 hp
    Maximum road speed 100 km/h
    Range 660 km
    Gradient 60%
    Side slope 30%
    Vertical step ?
    Trench 2 m
    Fording 1 m

The Coyote armored reconnaissance vehicle is built by General Dynamics of Canada. It was developed from the licensed version of the Swiss MOWAG Piranha. This vehicle is employed in the conduct of battlefield reconnaissance and surveillance missions. The Coyote is in service with Canadian army since 1996 and around 200 of these vehicles are in service.

Coyote's hull armor has greater slopes comparing with similar vehicles. It has an all-round protection against small-arms fire, mines and artillery splinters. Add-on armor plates protect against larger projectiles.

The Coyote is armed with a M242 Bushmaster 25-mm chain gun. It is used to defeat soft and light armoured targets. Additional armament consists of two 7.62-mm machine guns. One of them is coaxially mounted with the main gun, while another is placed on hull roof and operated by the gunner.

The Coyote armored reconnaissance vehicle has a crew of four, including commander, driver, gunner and surveillance suit operator).

Coyotes are equipped with a sophisticated electronic surveillance equipment. It includes radar, infrared and video surveillance. Equipment is mounted on a 10 meter long telescoping mast. Some variants of the Coyote carry a remote surveillance suite. It has two short tripods, that can be deployed remotely up to 200 meters away from the reconnaissance vehicle. Vehicle provides an all-weather, day and night observation capability.

The Coyote's radar can detect large vehicles, such as trains or large trucks at a distance of up to 24 km. Medium-sized targets, such as tanks can be detected at up to 12 km. In good light conditions, or using thermal imager at night it can detect personnel up to 20 km away. Currently it is one of the best surveillance platforms in the world.

This vehicle is powered by a diesel engine, developing 275 hp. Unlike Bison armored personnel carrier, the Coyote is not amphibious, but carries extra fuel for longer operating range
  13. IMHO the CVRT will be around for a long time yet and the Stormer base vehicle that was used in Shielder and HVM is a good enough replacement. There was mainly an issue when the suspension wearing on the Shielder but that was with the added weight but I beieve was solved by ALVIS. They spent a fortune on the overhaul and change to diesel so couldnt justify the waste of money by phasing CVRT out for a long time.
  14. The Horse
  15. Interesting point that by August 1944, British Armoured Recce had pretty much converted to tanks (either Cromwell or Sherman).
    Reasons include:
    - Greater flexibility in role
    - Ability to exploit enemy weakness
    - The fact that in close country, people tend to notice you coming, regardless of vehicle size

It was only during the mad-dash exploitation to the low countries following the conclusion of the battle of Normandy that light armoured car regts were able to come into their own again...