• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What should I do?

Hi guys and girls, got a little dilemma here...
I have my start date for October 27th but my 18th birthday is on 9th november and i don't realy want to spend it in training with people i don't know well yet, plus i want to go out clubbing and all that seeing as i'll be old enough and wont be able to do it in training (obviously).
The Army is my priority and is 100% what i want to do, but would delaying it for a month or 2 be that bad?
I am also out of work and literally moving house at the moment (i know it looks like im fishing for excuses but its true), so yeah times are a bit hard at the moment, so would it be acceptable in your opinions?

Thanks.

p.s Let me reiterate i'm not having second thoughts about joining!

TOONarmySOLDIER said:
Hi guys and girls, got a little dilemma here...
I have my start date for October 27th but my 18th birthday is on 9th november and i don't realy want to spend it in training with people i don't know well yet, plus i want to go out clubbing and all that seeing as i'll be old enough and wont be able to do it in training (obviously).
The Army is my priority and is 100% what i want to do, but would delaying it for a month or 2 be that bad?
I am also out of work and literally moving house at the moment (i know it looks like im fishing for excuses but its true), so yeah, would it be that bad?
Thanks.
p.s Let me reiterate i'm not having second thoughts about joining!
Hmmm. I'll read it again before I post.

Nope; still looks like he doesn't want to join!

Litotes

260+ posts saying how desperate you are to join up, now even though you are unemployed you want to delay it?

As Gren said, Man up and stop being a wuss :roll:

Delay your 18th birthday until Xmas leave. Invite all your new best mates (who by this time you will know better than you ever would have the majority of the civvies you have left behind). Enjoy.

Joe_Private said:
Delay your 18th birthday until Xmas leave. Invite all your new best mates (who by this time you will know better than you ever would have the majority of the civvies you have left behind). Enjoy.
Didn't think of that. Good idea...

heidtheba said:
Apart from an Iron, you get issued all you need.
Yeah but they gave us a list of what to bring - padlocks, iron, toiletries...
Even if they supply recruits with the things it looks bad if they still don't bring what they've been told.

I used to work at an ATR, you'd be surprised what people don't bring.

Some recruits (and their families) simply can't afford it.

I had my 18th birthday in basic training - okay so I couldn't go out and get wasted, but I still celebrated and just made up for it when basic training was over and I went home for a few days! Had my 21st on guard duty but thats another story..................................................................

The choice is yours................only you can make the decision!

Sluice

Q

quick-morser

I spent my 17th & 18th birthday on excercise.

I don't feel I missed anything. Its one excuse for a night out amongst many. And when you join up there will be many nights out.

Sluice_dweller said:
I had my 18th birthday in basic training - okay so I couldn't go out and get wasted, but I still celebrated and just made up for it when basic training was over and I went home for a few days! Had my 21st on guard duty but thats another story..................................................................

The choice is yours................only you can make the decision!

Sluice
I spent the millenium watching the fireworks in Londonderry city centre waiting for the Y2K bug to happen.

I also spent Xmas and new year 95 in Visoko.

As has already been said there will be plenty more p1ss ups.

quick-morser said:
I spent my 17th & 18th birthday on excercise.

I don't feel I missed anything. Its one excuse for a night out amongst many. And when you join up there will be many nights out.
I did actually say to my dad, at least im becoming 18 doing something I really want to, so I see what you are saying.

I had my 18th birthday in civvie street. Can't remember what I did, probably did the usual and got drunk, went to a club, etc. I do however remember my first day in training, my pass out parades, my first day at my first unit etc etc. I also remember my 21st birthday spent on the top of a mountain in Bavaria, whilst on adventure training. I also remember my 30th spent rock climbing and abseiling, also whilst on adventure training.
As said above stop making excuses , if the Army is your priority then that is where you would wish to spend your birthday.

I had my 18th during basic. You'll not have enough time to think, let alone celebrate.....just get on with it. I had my 22nd in Bosnia, 23rd in Kosovo, 24th in NI, 25th in NI.....it's the Army....shit happens.

Is this a WAH :?

If you really want to be a soldier, this is a non-question and I can't believe you've gone this far to come out with a statement like this one... I started at 16 and don't think I had a birthday on leave, or off of work until I was in my 20's. Never missed it as I could have a good time anywhere and on any opportunity.

Get a grip. Have a pi55 up before you go and call it a farewell/pre-18th birthday drunk Its about two weeks early. Big deal.

If the Army is what you want, do your training and start life with some of the same lads you'll be serving with in sometimes "unpleasant" places. They'll be far better mates than you have in civvie street and I'll be surprised if you stay mates with many civvies for long after you join. People do their own thing and life moves on.

Face facts, like most of us who were/are "in" you'll rarely get to spend all the birthdays and holidays with your family/mates, so if you need that type of hugs and kisses all the time, do the Army a favour and don't join, or you'll be a whiny, miserable, useless prick.

Other than that, get over it, get your kit together, get yourself off to training and get on with your Army career. You'll look like a right tit going through all that work to get in then pull out because of a fcuking 18th birthday but if thats the type of lad you are, the Army will be better off without you.

The clocks ticking. If its that tough, flip a coin FFS... :roll:

BTW, what are you joining as?

Latest Threads