Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should i do to improve my osprey webbing?

What should I do?

• Improve osprey (suggestions taken)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Jay jays

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dixie's corner

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
I have one of these, the straps ain't amazing but they'll do (it's only for cadets). I have four double mag pouches a med pouch and two utility pouches. Is there anything I should do to improve it i have a clip belt to secure it. Should i just replace it with jay jays or Dixie's

Bris

LE
I have one of these, the straps ain't amazing but they'll do (it's only for cadets). I have four double mag pouches a med pouch and two utility pouches. Is there anything I should do to improve it i have a clip belt to secure it. Should i just replace it with jay jays or Dixie's
You appear to be a cadet; what you have is more than good enough.

Don't be tempted to fill the pouches with stuff you don't need - just make sure it is comfy.

Save your money and spend it on underage booze and sweets.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
I found the webtex 2.5 litre dry sack (with clear panel to see inside) very useful for keeping stuff dry, together and accessible in my utility pouches.

I also added an extra padded belt under the webbing belt to avoid pouches rubbing on my thighs - it worked well for me and the latest issue belt now comes with such padding/spacing integrated i think.

Slime

LE
How often will you be carrying 8 full mags?
If you only ever carry 1, 2, 3 or 4 mags it might be worth swapping the second set of mag pouches for a larger single pouch. You could keep a lot of sweets etc in a pouch like that.
As a cadet you will never need to carry much kit and will never truly live from your webbing. Shiny gear looks nice but just isnt needed in the cadets.

Slime

LE
Ah, JImbo, lovely of you to chip in.

Would you describe protecting 2 dozen migrant labourers harvesting opium 200m from Bastion fence a failure in duty too? Or how about not giving guards night vision on a night with just 2% natural illumination? Or how about a stated and practiced policy of not punishing soldiers caught sleeping on guard?

Serious answers appreciated.

And to the OP, the above were all decisions made by a command that will make life or death decisions on your behalf, but they don't really care about you, they are too busy planning their post military career in the city or with the arms manufacturers.

With regard to your statement to the OP in your last paragraph, I'm fairly confident that he wont be involved in too many life of death instances in the ACF.
Further to that, and specific to the AFC, the adult instructors in many ACF units wouldnt have had any issue kit wise in the situation you describe.
After leaving the army I became an ACF instructor for a short while. I was surprised to find that instructor kit for sitting on dry grass and explaining how to use a hexi burner would neccesitate, Danner boots, SAS windproof smock, and custom made webbing!
There were more sniper smocks in the ACF than I ever saw in the army hahahahaha.

Ospreys are scarce in captivity and notoriously difficult to train. You might be better off with a Harris for company and then move onto Falconry. These things take time. Don't I know it.

Hiya Casper

Hiya Casper

I can't wait until I'm properly written off as a Mentalist and then I can set about. A bit of company at last.

Edit: I've been saving a '58 Belt and a pouch for the Poor Little (less than) 1-Day-Old Cocks who're so attractive to les Birds. Is there a more modern one that will give us an advantage?

Edit: Bit obscure, that. I meant webbing.

Last edited:

Troy

LE
As I cadet you don't need to carry a lot of stuff, and some of the fun stuff wouldn't be allowed you anyway.

For example; you don't need and won't be allowed to carry a bayonet on your webbing. A pistol holster would be a waste of time as well. An entrenching tool holder would just get in your way sometimes, and so on. Same story with axes and machetes. Some staff will forbid you to even hang an ex-grenade ring!

More sensible ideas aren't as glamourous (sorry I meant ally). Such as a first aid kit pouch. A pocket or internal divider for a compass. A 58 patt poncho roll for your water proofs or basha.

If you are a girl you can carry baby oil to remove cam cream - but if you are male then don't you dare do this or you'll face extreme humiliation.

I sorted my balls-up (made on a prior post), but imagine time and tale have passed.

Good Luck to all you Serving, Res, TA, Cadets and sperms awaiting posting.

I still like Birds that kill things from the air, though.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Most regularly accessed/utilized pouch of mine was an admin one, but that was attached to my chest rather than webbing belt.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Garrison god. You will see that @No.4 Mk.1 has shit all over your thread where your simple and straightforward question was about pouches. He will take any opportunity - no matter how slight - to start expounding his own views about his dissatisfaction with his personal Service experiences in Afghanistan.

You have every right to put him on ignore, as others have suggested, if you don't want to read his ramblings. He is sick and really does needs help. Most of us are not really sure why the Mods haven't thread banned him yet.

Don't be deterred from asking plenty of questions as there are more than enough sensible people here who know exactly what you are talking about and can offer assistance. Good luck...

Troy

LE
Genuine question: When did Warry become Ally? I bet it was around the label thing.

I really don't know. I had never heard of Ally before, and even Warry was a rare thing. In my day it was just called, "looking right" or "looking the part". (That's Part - not pratt or prick etc.) Signing up with ACF when Boy became a cadet, I found that the vocab had changed a bit.

Also, I needed some new vocab to describe some of the utter wankies (other spellings are available) that were among the staff.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thread pruned. Well that was 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Pretty please, stop dribbling and squabbling in the QMs.

Slime

LE
I've heard paras claim ally was inspired by them.
It's something like them wearing their berets like flat caps to shield their eyes from sun and the local word for a hat like that was ally.

That may be made up or just wrong but it's what I heard somewhere

There's too much on that belt kit. It's fighting order, you need ammo, water, first aid, if there's any spare room a meal or two from a rat pack.

Remove at least two of the large pouches, remove the right ammo pouch (you only need 6 mags)

This should leave you with ammo pouch on the left, water bottle pouch on right with one of the large pouches also on the right. This remaining pouch is for your first aid kit - first field dressing and CAT, leaving plenty of room for a grenade. Leave your water bottle cup in your day sack and you'll have plenty of room for a couple of meals.

You don't need a full cleaning kit, just your combi tool and pull through, stick them in your top pocket. 180rds weighs approx 3kg, so stick 3kg of bagged sand in your ammo pouches. Then wear it, test and adjust so it's comfortable, get in the prone position (lay down) to make sure nothing digs in. Make sure nothing rattles and nothing falls off.

Latest Threads