WHAT shares to invest in

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Victorian_Major, Feb 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This thread is a counterpart to the one on HOW to invest in shares. This one is about which shares to buy and why, and I'm suggesting that this is where the tips go, the useful links to market analysis, the trends we see and so on...

The How to invest in shares thread is here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/finance/176709-how-invest-shares.html

Same rules apply - ARRSE, its owners and members aren't regulated by the FSA. They aren't regulated by anybody really, and some of them aren't even sentient. Some of the posters here may be sockpuppets for corporations such as RBS, Enron, Lehman Brothers etc etc. Take all posts with a pinch of salt, separate the wheat from the chaff yourselves and remember the glaringly obvious fact that the value of most investments can go down as well as up. If you can hold that last rule in your head you are probably already ahead of the game.

So - Facebook shares eh? General consensus is not with a bargepole. Because (and to summarise this thread)...

It's overvalued - 100bn? Really?
    The IPO is a fraction of the value of the company so no real shareholder power.
    It's another bubble - remember MySpace? Lastminute.com?
    The CEO can't decide whether he runs a corporation or social experiment - hint, don't invest in the latter thinking it is the former.
    I doubt the emergence of meaningful dividends for some time as Zuckerberg is also hinting he will invest heavily in data centres.

So... who to invest in... and why? In your own time...

2. Value stocks, companies with lots of cash and a strong balance sheet, here are my current favorites (stolen from my employers buy list):

BHP
    Cap Gemini
    Caterpillar
    Danone
    Deutsche Post
    Fedex
    Freeport McMoran Copper
    Johnson Controls
    Komatsu
    L'oreal
    Luxottica
    Potash
    Syngenta
    GOLD (physical, don't go for that ETF shit)

3. I'll have a wonder through that one at the weekend, thanks. L'oreal seems like an interesting 'wildcard.'

4. Kenmare Resources - their ticker is KMR. Links here:

Home - Kenmare Resources plc
    Summary | Interactive Investor
    Kenmare Resources plc: LON:KMR quotes & news - Google Finance
    The Share Centre Blog » Share tip of the week

Their operations centre around the Moma Mine, located in Mozambique. They mine ilmenite (component of titanium) and zircon, both of which are in massive demand by the emergent economies of China and India. Prospects for Q3 and Q4 2012 are promising with some analysts forecasting 90p by Xmas 2012. Wish I'd bought back when they were 30.3p in Nov 11; benefits of hindsight and all that.....!!!

5. I don't have any shares...yet...have been looking, but have no idea about it all.....and it makes me nervous as at the end of the day, it is just gambling.

Anyhoo...my mates tell me that RRL (Range Resources) are a good bet.

6. Just a word of caution lads (& lasses). We are in for a choppy 2012 and this is not the time to buy shares and kick back and wait for dividends to flow in. While stocks are not historically very expensive (S&P is currently around 15 times earning), they are by no means cheap. Cash king, holds true now more than ever.

7. So UK's only worthwhile stock is a management consultancy firm? Thats depressing (especially if you've ever been subject to said management consultants...)...

8. Yes Cabana, you are right, it is effectively gambling - hence the very wise advice of "Don't invest money that you cannot afford to tear up and walk away from"

Chas

9. BHP? It should be said that we are not UK based, so we have no bias either way...

11. Very true. This is what makes it the best possible time to learn - and invest when the markets are less jittery.

14. I have to agree with L'Oreal, "BECAUSE ITS WORTH IT"

Sorry, it had to be done. I'll be sensible now.

• Like Like x 1