What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chris951, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Navy admits it has a drink problem ........ link

OK it may not come as a surprise but ... are our drinking habits any different to the Navy?
  2. So what?
    They spend months bobbing around at sea serving their country, if they feel like getting shitfaced when ashore then good for them.
  3. Yeah, the Navy are a bunch of lightweights.

4. Well we could send them to sea.

Can HMS's Belfast / Warrior / Victory be put to use ?

That would double the fleet !
  5. The navy takes very seriously the duty of care that we have for all our men and women in the service. We have a number of initiatives in place to encourage our people to lead healthy lifestyles," he said

Feck me -Nelsons Own hijacked by the ****ing Health and Safety Speech Therapists.

Headlines - Jack gets p1ssed :twisted:
  6. I confess that the worst binge drinking I have seen is probably the US Navy. They are dry at sea for XX days and then go shoreside for a few days and go hectic & check into Hotels for 3 days act like Rockstars. As a control group if you were to compare 4 Apprentice Rolls Royce Fitters in Bristol on the lash to 4 Stokers on a Run Ashore in Gib or Malta or Norfolk, VA and did an in depth study you would find that Jack Tar probably as an average drinks less than a civvie in Bristol.

Folk in the military are picked up by SNCOs & other for severe alcohol abuse much easier than in Civ Div. Our fitness tests and and Annual Confidential Reports are a 360 degree feedback on an individual.

A fat blanket stacker storeman weighing 18 stone and in the NAAFI 6 nights a week drinking John Smiths is soon picked up by his peers and superiors.

I agree the Military may drink a wee bit more (when given the chance) but are fitter, more disciplined and have a far better support system for snags. That is why we are stronger.

Nobody wants to serve next to a liability who is unfit to do their job. When the push comes to the shove we always over perform at the sharp end on duty.

Drink is a coping mechanism & a relief for the Military for 300 years but it's probably part of the Psyche of someone who is drawn to the Military to fight hard and then relax hard are what makes us unique.

Hard men after a tough tour having fun. They deserve it.

We are not civilians we are soldiers with a different role in life. Our bottom line is not Profit its a result which is not always nice.

8. Put him in bed with the Captain's daughter.
  9. Nothing changes.

Once upon a time, so long ago that the earth was still hot, a young and vibrant mariner had to attend a mandatory alcohol awareness lecture in Portsmouth. The Chief Medical Assistant giving the lecture revealed that the rate of alcoholism is 5 times greater among RN personnel than among the general population.

The psychiatrist who wrote the report shouldn't be surprised. Even the daily beer ration for junior rates at sea adds up to more than the recommended safe booze limit. Ashore, the sky's the limit - Guz ain't called Guz for nothing. In many shore bases, there's absolutely nothing to do at night except go to the bar or lie in your bunk (or head for a sophisticated nitespot like Johanna's).

Every cloud has a silver lining though. Without the culture of booze in the navy, we'd miss out on the fun of -

- blokes arriving back aboard without their trousers (Top Tip: never refuse to pay a prostitute just because you had brewer's droop - she will be sober and therefore able to run faster than you, even if she's carrying your trousers)

- having to strap blokes into a helicopter rescue stretcher and bring them aboard by crane

- blokes producing their entire body weight in vomit and/or diarrhoea while inside a mess the size of a toilet cubicle that's shared with four others.

- frantically searching under the jetty you're tied up along side for the thrashing body/floating corpse of one of the ship's company who hasn't been seen since he left the pub only to find the b@stard has gone back to another ship for more booze.

- ordering confinement in the guardhouse in Portsmouth for a disgracefully paralytic rating brought in by the Provost .... only to discover him stone dead in his cell the next morning 'cos he was, in fact, having a massive brain haemorrhage.

Memories, like the corners of my mind ........
  10. Sounds to me like they haven't learned much about cause and effect since 1914.
  11. "Research was funded by MOD"

I wonder how many million the MOD wasted on that bit of Healthcare research?!!......

paying for the ****ing obvious... Next they will be paying for a research to tell us that we have stressful jobs, which is found to be increased when we are on operations!
  12. In my younger days I was known for going out on the lash on a Friday and not showing up again until Sunday dinner. Toga parties, strip club junkets, health & welfare inspections of the local houses of ill repute they were all grist for my mill. The only thing I would not do however was call naked bar at the club. :twisted: What's up with that anyway? :? :p :cyclopsani:
  13. I was recently contacted by an old "oppo" of mine that I served with in Cyprus, during our discussions of who, what, where and why, he mentioned what fun times we had at "so & so" bar in Akrotiri. Scarily, I have zero recollection of these visits to said bar - Non, zilch, nada - Now, I have been known to forget what I said / did in the bar last night etc, but to lose an entire SIX months of memory !!!!!

Was I THAT pished ?

Sadly I will never know.
  14. Actually the ban in 1914 only affected the officers. The rum ration (which had been changed to whiskey) for the sailors had been banned in 1862, during the Civil War. The officers had been permitted to have beer or wine until the 1914 ban.
  15. S'funny you should say that. I too have yawning gaps in my memory about places I've supposed to have been and things I've supposed to have done. If it weren't for some incriminating photos I'd never have believed half the accusations.