What series/author?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by phibeck, Sep 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some years ago I read a great book, and if I remember correctly, it was one of a series.

The main character was a young officer in the 19C. In this particular book, he had been captured by a tribal leader in North Africa, and was made to run alongside the leaders (horse of camel) in bare feet - which did wonders for his stamina. The tribe liked hunting elephants and hamstringing them, and once our hero had gained the tribal leaders confidence, he was given a sword so that he too could do this.

That is what I remember for sure! Our hero may also (but here I might be confusing this book with another - although I don't think so) have been sent to relieve Gen. Gordon in Khartoum.

Can anyone recall what series this is? And the author? In these days of eBooks I would like to download and read the whole series.

Many thanks!
  2. It's a Wilbur Smith. One of the Courtney family spin offs. I think it's "Triumph of the Sun"
  3. Just checked the Wilbur Smith web-site - you're absolutely correct - that was the book. Many thanks for that. Now for a trip to Amazon to download the series.
  4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Sunbird wasn't bad - start of the Courtney series was enjoyable as was Eagle in the Sky -rest were an awful load of tosh.