What regiment?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by roar, Aug 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What regiment should I join?

I am 22, fit and smart. I have been thinking about Parachute regiment, Scots Guards ( I hear thats the best Guards regiment) or the Black Watch.

I would like to see active service in my army career. What regiment will give me the best training and life experience?

2. 22 S.A.S.

3. Wait for the other 4 Guards Regiments to stake their claim to that...

4. Probably best getting the advice of the AFCO as to what each regiment does and there criteria to join and then sit down and make the decision based on what you want from an Army career.

5. Bugger me, my flabber is ghasted... 3 replies so far, and not one of them is from a member of the Rifles, trying to blow their own c0ck

Standards must be slipping

6. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Well you have already narrowed your choice down to 2, the Black Watch doesn't exist anymore, unless you want to join the Royal Regiment of Scotland, but I heard that they aren't as good as the Black Watch.... ;)

7. Strictly speaking true, but he can apply to join 3rd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland which in Fife, Angus and thereabouts is still considered to be The Black Watch (and the finest .... etc)

8. SCOTS GUARDS of course. Ex 23 year man. As proud of my Regiment now after 21 years a civvy as I always was.
    Incidentally, any ex I.D.B. men out there? I was C/Sgt, 2i/c APC Platoon at formation.

9. So who exactly are 3 Scots? Tube! :roll:

I hear that when a recruit joins the Royal Regiment of Scotland,they do not know which Battalion they will be going to until week 17 or 18 of training, when badging boards will sit. Recruits are allowed three choices of Battalions.However should a recruit come from a particular area preference will be given for them to go to their local Battalion - should there be a vacancy available.

roar,please pm me if you are interested in 3 Scots, er I mean The Black Watch....I have several contacts in recruiting. Cheers.

10. mysteron

Jonesy - sarcasm is obviously not something that is bred or taught north of the border. Note the ;) What do you think that means...... you clearly are a "Dunderheed" or some such regional insult. :lol:

11. Thanks for the insight into my character....please note that the correct spelling is Dunderheid, and not Dunderheed as quoted....ya Dunderheid :D

Just to clarify the official naming convention for the Royal Regiment of Scotland is this:-

For MS and Tac Ref ie; map marking etc The Black Watch would be 3 Scots.In conversation or verbal Ref it is "Black Watch, 3 Scots" OR The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

That is the directive given to all Battalions within the Regiement.The abbreviation RRS does not exist.

Cheers.

12. mysteron

Cheers ya Heidtheba. :)

Anyhoo - with a Regimental number like yours you might want to get some time in the NAAFI queue son.... ;)

13. Ask your AFCO about us, or failing that ask this muppet he seems to know a lot.

14. :D :D :D

15. Dont take my name in vain please........ :wink: