what regiment?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by MatJ, Jan 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just having doubts of what regiment i should join its between the rifles and the royal anglian reg ?(vikings) any help cheers
  2. Should be a simple enough choice.

A little homework is my suggestion matey boy. :wink:
  3. Vikings? Whats wrong with Poachers?
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

1. Use the search facility - questions like yours turn up on a weekly basis.

2. Anyone who serves, or has served, in either unit will tell you that their one is best.

2. Anyone who hasn't may have an opinion based on their experience of working with them, meeting them once, having a fight with one in a pub, or possibly something someone told them once. Unless you know the exact background to their story, you will never know how much credit to give it.

3. Try and get fam visits to both and see which one you prefer. To be honest, you won't go wrong with either one.
  5. As an ex Poacher, you wont go far wrong with the Anglians mate. Good luck!
  6. Where do you live?
  7. Why do people ask this question? As a Corpsman it was never a concern, and to anyone else it shouldn't matter. You'll still go on ops, and get posted somewhere pants.
  8. Avoid the Rifles - utterly crap drill! If you want to look bloody stupid in public; they're the boys for you. Mind you, the Angle-irons used to not swing their arms when marching with drawn swords - looked dreadful.

Always pick a regiment on the quality of its foot drill, young man - that way you can never go too far wrong!
  9. Because infantry regiments have historical links to local communities. And postings are pants if you let it be - get involved and do something productive.
  10. I think you've misunderstood my me, but I'd expect nothing less ;)
  11. Actually the question about where you live is very relevent.

Infantry regiments do have their own recruiting grounds that leads battalions to take up a lot of people from the same area. This is a good thing as it greatly enhances the solidarity of the battalion. Which is part of the reason it is done. Of course every regiment also has its "foreigners" from other parts of the UK and even from abroad, and all are made equally welcome. However, there is something "good" about being a member of your local regiment.

Of course for some it is a family thing, no matter where you are from you join the family regiment just like your forefathers. of course these people do not count as "foreigners".

It does not mean you have to go local or family, but they do make an excellent starting point when trying to make up your mind.