What regiment is this?

The UK was represented in the Bastille Day parade down the Champs-Elysées in Paris last Sunday by these six.. but what corps/regiment do they belong to? (Apologies if I've used the wrong terminology)
14 July.jpg

Many thanks

The UK was represented in the Bastille Day parade down the Champs-Elysées in Paris last Sunday by these six.. but what corps/regiment do they belong to? (Apologies if I've used the wrong terminology)
View attachment 404459
Many thanks
What newspaper do you work for again?

Front row, left, why is his twat hat shaped like that?
It was always generally assumed that one’s forage cap would soften with age and use. Therefore the more crumpled it was the more of an old soldier you were. The cavalry wore such dishevelled attire as something of a badge of honour. Some units fought in Napoleonic Iberia without proper supplies for years, hence the acquisition of “cross belts” (new-fangled nonsense stolen from Spanish troops) etc.
Worn-out kit (just) was therefore carried on a bit. Stuff worn-in (like a 20 year old “twat hat”) was fair game. Overalls wear out, troopers wear in.

It was always generally assumed that one’s forage cap would soften with age and use. Therefore the more crumpled it was the more of an old soldier you were. The cavalry wore such dishevelled attire as something of a badge of honour. Some units fought in Napoleonic Iberia without proper supplies for years, hence the acquisition of “cross belts” (new-fangled nonsense stolen from Spanish troops) etc.
Worn-out kit (just) was therefore carried on a bit. Stuff worn-in (like a 20 year old “twat hat”) was fair game. Overalls wear out, troopers wear in.
Bollox. He's used a spare chin strap to get it like that. A style favoured by RDs, particularly RPs especially in the 70s and 80s.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've seen King Abdullah of Jordan in his uniform of Colonel in Chief of the Light Dragoons. Having been 13/18H in the 80s, he wears his cap like that. Nobody else in the LD that I have seen does, cos they weren't around in the 80s.

Last edited:
Front row, left, why is his twat hat shaped like that?
Because he's Cav and as someone (Cav) once explained to me, "If you ain't Cav, you ain't [anything]"! Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Because he's Cav and as someone (Cav) once explained to me, "If you ain't Cav, you ain't [anything]"! Hope that helps@

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
In the aftermath of Vietnam and the cessation of conscription, recruiting for the US Army was on its knees. In 78 a Close Recce troop from 15/19H accompanied their battlegroup to Med Man. EndEx, they hired a car, visited USA and dropped in on a US recruiting office.

There were all sorts of bumper stickers, which they hoovered up and brought home. By far the favourite was IF YOU AIN'T CAV YOU AIN'T. Subsequent visitors from all cavalry regiments on Med Man did likewise.

Some of the snottier regiments (Scots DG up the road springs to mind) tried to go one better by getting their own, with the addendum FRACTIONS DON'T COUNT, unaware of the irony that it was a fraction that had brought the phenomenon to BAOR.

As Command Troop in a recce regiment I never did BATUS or felt the need for a US bumper sticker on my bike.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Because he's Cav and as someone (Cav) once explained to me, "If you ain't Cav, you ain't [anything]"! Hope that helps!
"WE'RE RECCE! We are, we are, we are we are we are shutup!"

In the aftermath of Vietnam and the cessation of conscription, recruiting for the US Army was on its knees. In 78 a Close Recce troop from 15/19H accompanied their battlegroup to Med Man. EndEx, they hired a car, visited USA and dropped in on a US recruiting office.

There were all sorts of bumper stickers, which they hoovered up and brought home. By far the favourite was IF YOU AIN'T CAV YOU AIN'T. Subsequent visitors from all cavalry regiments on Med Man did likewise.

Some of the snottier regiments (Scots DG up the road springs to mind) tried to go one better by getting their own, with the addendum FRACTIONS DON'T COUNT, unaware of the irony that it was a fraction that had brought the phenomenon to BAOR.

As Command Troop in a recce regiment I never did BATUS or felt the need for a US bumper sticker on my bike.
Awful shame that so many of the fractions have vanished.

Just out of faint amusement and interest, why did we have a presence? I wasn't aware that the French Revolution was that popular this side of the oggin, or is it just that it's their national day and it was a chance, as Farage put it " for Macron to pretend he was a mini Napoleon"

Exactly what I was thinking. As for him that is lardy with the even more ridiculous than usually ridiculous twat'at, is that a snipers qual on his arm?

Yes, good guy and good sniper. Guys filled his helmet with piss in BATUS and he was sent away, far far away from everyone the rest of the medman. Smelt like a ginger covered in goats cheese in the middle of the Sahara. Although he now looks like he has ate all of that goat cheese.

Last edited:

Latest Threads