What Regiment is this Chap in?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by FEASG, Jan 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents can anyone help by identifying, what regiment this chap is in ? The photo is from a family photo album that contains photos of a number of Victorian soldiers. I have identified the others as Gunners and infantry. This one is I belive Heavy Cav and may possibly be wearing a Crimea pair of medals?

This Album has been passed down from my Grandmother’s branch of the family and the others I have already identified as having the same Sir name LEE.

I have checked ,“Forgotten Heroes, The Charge of the Heavy Brigade”(by Roy Dutton). I find that there were three LEEs in the Charge. 1 x 1st Dragoons (The Royals) and 2x 5th Dragoons Guards (Princess Charlotte of Wales). However I don’t think the man in the photo is any of these, as the uniform is not right (I think).

Also having worked with HCR a couple of times I am very aware that Badges of rank are totally different from the Infantry. So could anyone point me to what Rank/Appointment he could be before I start looking through the muster rolls at Kew.
    Many thanks.

Attached Files:

• FA 7.jpg
      FA 7.jpg
      File size:
      128.2 KB
  2. His rank appears to be Sergeant Major. I have a photo of 1st Dragoons and the rank looks similar. However, their plume was dark, not white. The white was worn by 4th Dragoons. If he had been Life Guards there would have been a stripe down the centre of his white crosspiece.
  3. As far as I am aware, 1st Dragoons had Black plumes.
  4. Isn't his sword the 1853 Light Cavalry pattern (same sword used by Gunners today)? If so, that would indicate a light cav regiment, or even a militia gunner unit that happened to wear plumed helmets?
  5. Thanks, the plume had caused me to wonder if he was Life Guards (transferred over).
    The cross belt did cause me to wonder as it has some sort of ribbing on it , but I think this is part of a thumb print on the original Neg/glass plate.

The LEE in the 1st Dragoons was the RSM, who was latter commissioned but the Plume would seem to count him out
  6. Haven’t even considered this, thanks
  7. 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)? They mixed elements of light and heavy cavalry dress and fought in the Crimea.
  8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

not a piss take : you chaps are really good at this identification stuff egh . Seriously I was wondering why his trousers were too long , would it be that they fit once tucked in to riding boots or just a photographers prop.
  9. 1860s?
  10. Possibly or late 50's
  11. Could be but if you compare the Helmet plates the 6th DG officers (see below0 does not seem half as ornate as the one in my photo.

Attached Files:

12. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I really wasn't taking the piss lads .
  13. No I think you were right, or his just the scruffist thing on parade
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The trousers seem to disappear into the boots just below the knee, but the boots do look odd as if they have some sort of loose cover, so there may be some studio jiggery-pokery. Even the sword appears to run out of steam at the pointy end:

FA 7.jpg
  15. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Could it be coveralls? Trousers over boots, hence bagginess to allow them to fit over?