What regiment did my Grandad serve in?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Deanorecruit, Oct 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone can help me? I want to find out what Infantry Regiment my Grandad served in during the Korean war. His name was Colin Amos and he came from Manchester. I know he was conscripted in at the age of 18 and he was born 1934 so my maths tells me he served from 1952 onwards.

I want to know because I'm just passed selection and I'm joining LANCS so it would be nice if it turned out he served in one of the parent regiments as he was my idol that man was!!
  2. msr

msr LE

Check your PMs
  3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Military records from this period are still with the MOD. You'll need permission from the next of kin and you have to write to them to see if you can get the records.

Start here
  4. Thanks gents for your help. I'll start chasing this up. :D
  5. Well the kings Liverpool were in korea which make part of 2 lancs it's possible because my grandad is from liverpool yet was conscripted into the manchester regiment at around the same time but a bit of research should throw some light on things
  6. Deano, I know you may have done this already, but does no one in your family know? A sister or brother may have an inkling, even if he left it all behind and never told his wife.
  7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Deano - anyone in the family got any photos? If so and you can get one online, post a link in the family photos sticky in this forum - there's usually someone who can recognise the capbadge. If you do manage to do this it's worth doing a close-up of any badges or insignia if you can.
  8. Thanks for your interest. Turns out he wasn't Infantry after all. On closer inspection of his campaign medal, I found a small note in the backing of the box. It read;

PTE C. A. Amos

Blanket folding! :lol:
  9. Not necassarily, he could have been a baker, making pretty awful bread (unless served mit banjo) until relatively recently.

Better to be a stacker than a crab, scouser or Monkey.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I must be getting old as my wifes Grandfather was in the BEF proper in 1914 as a Bombardier. Served through to 1945 and retired! None of my relatives made it far, on my last mortgage medical I was asked if I had any living male relatives and I answered No. What was the main cause of death? Germans! :roll:
  11. Made me smile!
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Keep going son, your family history is probably the service history of the old and bold on this site. Some may have served with him!
  13. You never know!
  14. Remind me of a film I cant remember the bloody name of. Sir Alec Guiness is executed by firing squad at the beginning, then it cuts to one of his relative being told of his death. They ask what he died of...."bullets"

Anyone know this film?
  15. Sounds like "The Captain's Paradise"