What recruited you to the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Cadets

2. Family/Mates/friends

3. Newspaper adverts

4. TV adverts

5. media reports on the TA

6. Regular Army

7. Internet other

8. Some TA guy handing out leaflets or other event

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read

but thats what recruited me. Although the TA is so much smaller know I'd be surprised if it was still true.

Mates in the ATC and free newspaper recruited me but whats everyones else's
  2. For cadets and Internet, I was going to go into more detail. If you pick these options please expand with a post, especially if this site made you join

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I do not see why it is not the soldiers job to recruit. Better the friends of the serving soldiers coming in on the basis of the shop floor view than someone fed a "more pepper" advertising campaign and PSAO's drive to recruit for OJAR purposes.

I know which one I think is more likely to stay the distance.

I wanted to join so i looked in the phone book and found the nearest location of the unit I wanted to join.
  4. I always though about a career in the army, but was having too much fun on the tools and earning too much money. Packed it all in, moved 300miles north, got a decent job, mucked about on the Army website, found a TAC 5miles from my door, went the next evening.
    4months later, got attested last week! Fcuking work....Should've joined the reg's!
  5. I was in the Cadets and set to join the regular army. I ended up at college so decided to join the TA whist I finished my course.

Then I found I was doing around 150-200 days a year anyway and had a girlfriend so decided to wait a while.

Waited a bit longer, and a bit longer again.

By the time I joined the Regs (Royal Navy) I was already married with a daughter and after five years had had enough of being away all the time, so signed off. Within a year I was back in the TA.

From the day I first joined I never intended to stay in the TA it just turned out that way.

6. I did my three years at an OTC and then wanted to carry on with the TA. With hindsight i should have joined a TA Group A unit to begin with!
  7. Approached by TA after leaving Regs.
  8. Heard an advert on the radio friday morning. It asked if it was another boring week at work? (yes of course it was). It then asked if i was going to spend my weekend in the pub? (do bears sh*t in the woods!! yes again). It then advertised there were better things to do on a weekend.

... never looked back since joining.
  9. Jacked out of regular phase 1 many moons ago. Didn't realise what a dick I'd been until there was too much real life in the way to join the regs again. Cue the TA...
  10. Anecdotally it seems that, whereas 10 years ago most of our recruits came in on the back of mates tales of derring do etc. Now they are responding to advertising.

One way of interpreting this is that the advertising is working now where it wasn't 10 years ago; this plus the op tempo and profile of the Army as a whole means that more people without connections are making their way to the TACs.

The other way of interpreting it is that those who are in are less able to 'sell' the TA to their friends. Again 10 years ago it was a case of "We'll go away for the weekend and play with our main piece of kit, there's none of the admin you get with the regs. At the end of the weekend the beer's really cheap. Come and give it a try, it's not like they're going to send you to war or anything!" I suppose the beer is still cheap but what can we honestly say to attract potential recruits amongst our mates and colleagues?

As for what recruited me? I remember I was very drunk... an older man with a decanter of port... possibly a massage parlour and some photographs... did I say I was very, very drunk... it all seems so long ago...
  11. I have no excuse. :oops: (Other than a mate's dad who was collecting £5 recruiting bounties).
  12. I joined because I didn't have any cash. Twenty two years later I'm still in and I still haven't got any cash!.

But in answer to your question, think it was an add in the local paper.
    Girlfriend at the time suggested I give a go. Come to think of it her previous boyfriend joined the regs.

Wonder if she was on commission?.

13. Joined the regs, came out, now in the TA but re joining after my medics courses are complete, bit of a big circle really...
  14. I sort of recruited myself with a bit of help from the TA. I had been thinking about it for a bit when I saw the QOY's CVR(t)s up in the Yorkshire Wolds. It looked like fun and it was. (It still is)
  15. Because I actually wanted to do something worthwhile. Or is making a difference and wanting to serve your country a somewhat outdated concept nowadays?

I wanted a challenge as well.