What rat-pack type meals do you use?

RezzaDue

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
After reading the review on the wayfayrer ready to eat meals, I wondered what other weird and wonderful alternatives you buggers on arrse use. Even it just helps the odd lurker but more as a way to consolidate the info that is spread all over the site. [Have used the search function, with no results for a thread like this].

ALTERNATIVES TO BOIL IN THE BAG MEALS

Here are some of the examples given already:

Gramps said:
Wayfayrer Ready to eat meals
Pro's: Wide range of choice. Good taste
Con's: Not very filling. Very pricey for size.
Schaden said:
Supermarket goods e.g's Tinned curries, beans, soups and puddings
Pro's: Vast range of choice. Good quality. Cheap.
Con's: Litter[For the enviromentalists among us, and the weight that has to be carried even after use]
sandmanfez said:
Look what we found! range
Pro's: Cheap. Same format as wayfayrer. Wide range of choice. Excellent quality.
Con's: Not very filling, but can have things added. [Pasta - Thanks Jarrod]
Mav said:
Heatermeals
Pro's: Come in packs of six. Comes with self heating kit.
Con's: Litter after use. Storage during hike, climb, frolicking etc.
afcass said:
Dehydrated meals e.g Mountain House
Pro's: Very Lightweight. Moderate range of choice.
Con's: Can look and taste like shit if you get the water measurement wrong.
Lardbeast said:
Sliced Biltong and dried peaches
Pro's: Very, very nice. Light enough to carry and easy to decide on how much to take per days out.
Con's: Very expensive if living in the uk.
Eric Shawn said:
Couscous
Pro's: Just add water. Light. Different varieties. Easily add other ingredients.
Con's: Gets boring after a while.
guzzijon said:
Driedegg noodles
Pro's:
Can add a variety of ingredients - stock cubes, fresh meat and veg etc
Con's: Have to learn how to wash a pan properly, and has to be done after each use.
Ideas/ Tips:

Gassing_Badgers said:
Vacuum Bags
Tinned substance in a resealable vac bag and presto, homemade boil in the bag.
Jarrod248 said:
Mattesons porksausages, pepperami, mixed nuts and smash are all full of energy.
Porkscratchings replace electrolytes.
Carnation now sell condensedmilk in tubes, liquid energy really.
Beanfeastis good, add chilli powder or curry.
Mav said:
Tins of fruitin fruit juice, with pull rings are good for morale.
Effendi[/COLOR said:
Bannockcampfire bread
Put all the ingredients into a ziplock (then put thatinto another ziplock, just in case) which allows dry pre-mixing by hand andthen you can add the water to the bag and mix it and just dump it into a cookpot.
I put sugar and loads of raisins into my mix and thenjust as the cooking is finishing pour some rum [or similar] over the bread.
Note: Some recipes add powdered milk, some don't. Ialways drop in a 1/2 cup as it can only add energy.
RayMears shows how.....takes a minute to get to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AXYqy5zFLE
Schaden said:
Good salami or chourizo - unsliced is excellent and canstand in for dried meat like biltong.
So if you have any other ideas, tips or food products you use for out in the hills, walks etc post them and will make sure to add them to the above list.
Have to thank the above posters for their information on the products.

I usually take couscous when I'm fishing or camping. Add water and you've got a meal. If you're able to cook you can add to it easily. Gets boring after 6 days of it though.

The old favourite was dried egg noodles to which you can add anything from stock cubes to fresh meat and veg. The only downside over boil in the bag is that there's a pan to wash. By the way, it was a surprise to read (on here) about the water used to heat boil in the bag meals not being suitable for making a brew- so are you supposed to waste the water?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I've always used mattesons pork sausage and pepperami great to munch. Mixed nuts also full of energy. Smash is also good. I used to put curry and chilli powder in 35mm film cases. Pork scratchings are loaded with salt if you're doing loads of excercise or it's a hot place and more fun than electrolyte replacement drinks. Carnation now sell condensed milk in tubes.

Heinz do several varieties of pasta meals that boil in the bag - £1.50ish a pop at Tesco. Again, not a huge amount of food tho, maybe cook two at a time ! CousCous - umpteen bagged/flaouvoured varieties on the shelf. Seconding " look what we found" as good scran.

Not good - Anything dehydrated. Taste like cardboard in my experience, anything that uses MRE type heaters - only OK if you like tepid food that takes ages to warm up. Boil in the bag is deffo the way to go, for shortish trips. Longer trips I'm going to need a bit of basecamp, three courses, real food !

I've always used mattesons pork sausage and pepperami great to munch. Mixed nuts also full of energy. Smash is also good. I used to put curry and chilli powder in 35mm film cases. Pork scratchings are loaded with salt if you're doing loads of excercise or it's a hot place and more fun than electrolyte replacement drinks. Carnation now sell condensed milk in tubes.
Hehehe ;)

Hmm beanfeast is good add chilli powder or curry.
You haven't experienced real flatulance until you've had Beanfeast for the first time :)

Mav

Old-Salt
Agree with the bags of fruit and nut for energy

Hadn't thought of pork scratchin's as 'good' food take... Now I can eat them guilt free!

I also try to add a couple tins of fruit in fruit juice (pineapple, pears etc). You can normally find them with ring pull tops so no tin opener needed, they're super refreshing, good for you and feels like luxury compared to rations.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Agree with the bags of fruit and nut for energy

Hadn't thought of pork scratchin's as 'good' food take... Now I can eat them guilt free!

I also try to add a couple tins of fruit in fruit juice (pineapple, pears etc). You can normally find them with ring pull tops so no tin opener needed, they're super refreshing, good for you and feels like luxury compared to rations.
My grandad used to train greyhounds and he fed them pork scratchings but no idea in what quantity. Good snacking.

Bannock campfire bread, plenty of recipes out there for bannock.

I put all the ingredients into a ziplock (then put that into another ziplock, just in case) which allows dry pre-mixing by hand and then you can add the water to the bag and mix it and just dump it into a cook pot.

I put sugar and loads of raisins into my mix and then just as the cooking is finishing pour some rum [or similar] over the bread.

Note: Some recipes add powdered milk, some don't. I always drop in a 1/2 cup as it can only add energy.

Fatty Mears shows how.....takes a minute to get to it:

Bannock Cooking - YouTube

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The old favourite was dried egg noodles to which you can add anything from stock cubes to fresh meat and veg. The only downside over boil in the bag is that there's a pan to wash. By the way, it was a surprise to read (on here) about the water used to heat boil in the bag meals not being suitable for making a brew- so are you supposed to waste the water?
News to me, where did you read that ?

Reference the dehydrated graze, we 'obtained' a load of Norwegian rations in Afg & they're fcuking mega.

The nearest I've ever got to camping, is visiting various festivals. Tinned goods, Beans, Sausages, Bacon grill and a loaf. For energy I tend to consume as much alcohol a possible. And I dread the thought of spending a night in the good old outdoors. Fcuk that!

Hmm beanfeast is good add chilli powder or curry.
Arrgh! Having worked for Raleigh International in Costa Rica for six months I don't think I could face the stuff ever again, and I wasn't even out in the field for extended periods.

Genuinely believe Blashers was in league with the makers of Beanfeast :wink:

Beanfeast reminds me of pot noodle without the noodle.

Schaden

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Good salami or chourizo - unsliced is excellent and can stand in for dried meat like biltong.

By the way, it was a surprise to read (on here) about the water used to heat boil in the bag meals not being suitable for making a brew- so are you supposed to waste the water?

I have heard that as well (but not on here) however I always used it for a brew and it has done me no harm.

ugly

LE
The not using the water came from the original trials of Boil in the bags in the late 80's when the ink would run from the packets. Still that put it all back about 10 years but seems not to be an issue anymore.
What do I use? Well when the boss and I are on the road I'll eat whatever she cooks but I do breakfast and anything goes including any free compo Gents!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ted Bear Weapons, Equipment & Rations 8
B Cookery 39
DogsAndMonsters Weapons, Equipment & Rations 146