What Rank

Can someone tell me what the floppy bits of fabric on the front of his jacket mean please?
His iron doesn’t work if it’s not switched on.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
But why was the ginger tosser not clean shaven?
Listen carefully, Mongbreath: HRH Harry, Duke of Sussex, has probably done more for his country in terms of active service and supporting veterans than you are ever likely to. Best advice I can give, stop trying to score cheap points off a better man than you. He's been there, done it and starred in the film. He can wear what he wants.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Superintendent.

But not a real one.

One of those "direct entry" throbbers. Bet he knows nothing about policing either. He's probably more interested in dad dancing with Johnny foreigners...

...also explains the beard.

Harry is Captain General Royal Marines which is 5*. I expect that he’ll not be wearing that rank until William is king with some seniority as a 5*. When Edward became Commodore in Chief of the RFA, he was ranked and laced as Captain to make sure he was junior to Andrew. When Andrew made 2*, Edward was promoted to Commodore.

But both Princes were dressed as majors so I may be typing out of my hoop.
You're generally right I believe. Harry was made a major by Granny such that William would technically not out rank him on his special day. Once the royals leave the forces they receive honorary rank due to them as if they had stayed in according to their peers and age. I think you are right about the Duke of Sussex not wearing the Captain General uniform for some while yet. Unless of course some significant Royal Marine event occurs in the interim.

Equerry to his grandmother
Being totally pedantic, no. ADC to HMQ, not equerry. Otherwise correct in that the aiguillettes also go with the (completely honorary) job. Normally granted to VSOs as well as family who have served. I would expect Harry to get this in the not too distant future.

@RCT(V) - I'm curious as to why you disagree with my #22
Because . . . the Frogging mentioned on your WIKI link, refers to the intricate braid, we still see on the tunics of the King's Troop RA. There was/is certainly NONE of that on a dress coat.

I think the original question referred to what appear to be two rows of three(?), extravagantly tied "bows" down the front of the coat. The same dark blue/black colour of the coat, and made from 2"/3" wide "ribbon".

I have no experience of the frock coat, but have noticed it before on TV/YouTube videos.

I think it is worn by the (dismounted) Adjt as he scurries behind the CO inspecting the Household Cavalry?!

I don't know/think the "bows" now serve any practical purpose, other than to add a little "style", to what is otherwise a pretty staid, straightforward, coat that I normally associate with Lord Lieutenants, and the like.

As @vvaannmmaann said earlier to add some "style & panache".

getty_prince-harry-marries-ms-meghan-markle-windsor-castle_ent_gyi960096296jpg-js407489270-e15...jpg

Last edited:
Because . . . the Frogging mentioned on your WIKI link, refers to the intricate braid, we still see on the tunics of the King's Troop RA. There was/is certainly NONE of that on a dress coat.

I think the original question referred to what appear to be two rows of three(?), extravagantly tied "bows" down the front of the coat. The same dark blue/black colour of the coat, and made from 2"/3" wide "ribbon".

I have no experience of the frock coat, but have noticed it before on TV/YouTube videos.

I think it is worn by the (dismounted) Adjt as he scurries behind the CO inspecting the Household Cavalry?!

I don't know/think the "bows" now serve any practical purpose, other than to add a little "style", to what is otherwise a pretty staid, straightforward, coat that I normally associate with Lord Lieutenants, and the like.

As @vvaannmmaann said earlier to add some "style & panache".

I asked the question and the bows are what I'm talking about. I just wondered if they represented any particular military event/occasion as a lot of the quirks in Army uniforms seem to have specific significance.

This is from Dege and Skinner, the tailors that made the uniforms:

"That the Prince wore ribbons instead of an aiguillette is significant; ribbons are garnered from work he has done rather than titles given to him in an honorary capacity".

"The outfit consists of a frockcoat in doeskin depicting insignias and braiding that is particular to his regiment, the styles of which reveal that he has been promoted to the rank of major by the Queen. "

"The unique braiding running down the front is black mohair and is particular to the household cavalry and the Life Guards, with invisible hooks fastening down the front instead of buttons."

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hence, too, the aiguillettes he was wearing.
Now that's a beautiful word you don't hear often enough.
I must work it into one of my drunken sesquipedal rants.

The old "get married one rank up" ploy! :mad:
Worked for me.

Luckily before everyone had Interweb cameras so it didn’t make the national Press and my CO was none the wiser; I’d forgotten to get permission.

Whew! Imagine if I’d been on the front page of the Telegraph as a full screw when he’d been debating busting me from lance jack....