What Radar does the Tornado GR.1 use ?

I am in the process of researching a book and was just wondering if anyone here would have any idea as to what radar the Tornado GR.1 uses, I couldn't find any information online, was hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanks

You should combine efforts with spade2070,

Here

Capture 666.PNG

He is writing a book also.

If you're going to write a book you should probably learn the use of the past tense
Very past tense, as the GR.1 went out of service about 20 years ago, while the GR.4 is only recently retired.

Yup the Tornado ADV uses the Foxhunter Radar, but what does the Tornado IDS (Gr.1/Gr.4) use ?
I'm guessing the Tornado ECR would also use the same one, or is it different ?

Yup the Tornado ADV uses the Foxhunter Radar, but what does the Tornado IDS (Gr.1/Gr.4) use ?
they didn't use the same one, they had one each...

Taxi

Decca Doppler Type 72

If a prospective "author" has to use ARRSE to do basic research on an obsolete version of an aircraft system, I wouldn't want to buy the resulting book.

The Tornado GR 1’s nav/attack system comprises a Texas Instruments multi-mode forward-looking, ground-mapping, terrain-following radar, Ferranti digital INS (DINS) and combined radar/map display, Decca 72 Doppler radar system, GEC Ferranti laser rangefinder and marked target seeker in an undernose fairing (RAF aircraft only) and Alenia radio/radar altimeter. The aircraft's flight control system primarily comprises a triply redundant command stability augmentation system (CSAS)using fly-by-wire and autostabilization, and an autopilot/flight director (APFD). Coupled with the nav/ attack system, these allow the aircraft to fly with high stability and near-sonic speed at 200 ft (61 m) above ground level in all weathers. Over known flat surfaces, such as southern Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War, altitude can be further reduced by reliance on the radar altimeter alone.

Not wishing to be rude, but you know that thing you're writing, commonly referred to as 'a book'? Have you perhaps considered looking at one of the many written about, or which include extensive information on, the Tornado?

For example:

Ian Black, RAF Tornado
Mike Napier, Tornado GR1, an Operational History
Francis K Mason, Tornado
Alfred Price, Tornado: Spearhead of NATO
Bill Gunston & Mike Spick, Modern Combat Aircraft
Dave Eagles, Testing Tornado
Jon Lake & Mike Crutch, Tornado
Roger Chesnau, Tornado

Great this helps Bubbles Barker. So any idea which radar is used to track and engage air targets/land targets ? I doubt its the Decca 72 Doppler as it seems to be a navigation radar, and if its the Texas Instruments one, which model by Texas Instruments ?

Great this helps. So any idea which radar is used to track and engage air targets/land targets ? I doubt its the Decca 72 Doppler as it seems to be a navigation radar, and if its the Texas Instruments one, which model by Texas Instruments ?
******* WRITE IT YOURSELF YOU IDLE CNUT.

what the hell kind of author are you?

Not wishing to be rude, but you know that thing you're writing, commonly referred to as 'a book'? Have you perhaps considered looking at one of the many written about, or which include extensive information on, the Tornado?

For example:

Ian Black, RAF Tornado
Mike Napier, Tornado GR1, an Operational History
Francis K Mason, Tornado
Alfred Price, Tornado: Spearhead of NATO
Bill Gunston & Mike Spick, Modern Combat Aircraft
Dave Eagles, Testing Tornado
Jon Lake & Mike Crutch, Tornado
Roger Chesnau, Tornado
I don't own these books and I doubt I'll buy them just for this information, thus I'm asking here, thought there might be some knowledgeable people here who would have this information. And if anyone does have these books, and it mentions it, please let me know.

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I don't own these books and I doubt I'll buy them just for this information, thus I'm asking here, thought there might be some knowledgeable people here who would have this information. And if anyone does have these books, and it mentions it, please let me know.

@spade2010. Have you been into your local library? If they don’t have the books, they can usually get them on an inter-library loan.

so you are an author who isn't willing to invest in the product other than spending some time online.

are you going to self publish by borrowing a printer?

Don’t know what model of radar was in there, but I was amazed to find out recently that when Tornado was brought into service, junior RAF technicians had to polish the nose cone every night with Kiwi Parade Gloss in order to keep it black and shiny.

Latest Threads