what r yr top 10 tunes of Afghan tour??

melta

Crow
I'm compiling a top 10 list of the tunes that are associated with a tour of Afghanistan?
Especially recently.
- Can you help??
Either with a reply of just a fav tune (track) from your tour or ideally the headspace it was good for,
E.g.: What tune :
A. brings you back there?
B. was best to get you psych'd ?
C- was a good Wind Down?
D- for R&R?

BTW -did you hear this report on BBBC 'my war my playlist'?- interesting if u into this kinda stuff.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01r89ym?ocid=socialflow_twitter

F

Flash Back

Bullet Proof - La Roux,
Been there, done that messed around
I'm having fun, don't put me down
I'll never let you sweep me off my feet

This time, baby, I'll be bulletproof
new way home - foo fighters,
I'm not scared, I felt like this on my way home
Both these worked for me on way out to / return from CLPs.

Missed the BBC 'war playlist', but will listen later. Cheers for link.

Rick Astley.

We Wish You A Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Areosmith - Don't want to miss a thing
Robbie Williams - Angles.

Got really annoyed with them constantly playing on BFBS, or suicide FM as we called it.

The song that will always remind me of Telic;

Rock the Casbah - The Clash

My all time favourite is the album " Now zad s wad-i call muslim" volume 164, brings back fond memories....

Not forgetting "Sangin in the rain", a real cracker.

Areosmith - Don't want to miss a thing
Robbie Williams - Angles.

Got really annoyed with them constantly playing on BFBS, or suicide FM as we called it.

The song that will always remind me of Telic;

Rock the Casbah - The Clash
the only stuff on BFBS i can remember from telic was at handover with "leaving on a jetplane" and "you cant hide youre lying eyes" getting requested by the departing units and dedicated to the units coming in.

bwuhahahahaha!

Afghan for me oddly was anything on the "this is the life" album by amy macdonald. not really my sort of thing usually but me and a mate of mine got into it in a big way (i think he even wrote to her to thank her). i just found it relaxing and it let me zone out.

the only stuff on BFBS i can remember from telic was at handover with "leaving on a jetplane" and "you cant hide youre lying eyes" getting requested by the departing units and dedicated to the units coming in.

bwuhahahahaha!

Afghan for me oddly was anything on the "this is the life" album by amy macdonald. not really my sort of thing usually but me and a mate of mine got into it in a big way (i think he even wrote to her to thank her). i just found it relaxing and it let me zone out.

Hahaha! I forgot about Leaving on a Jetplane!

What was that gay song a few years back that went 'Send me home' or something similar? Sang by one of them boy bands.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I love that Robbie Angles song, or was it Angels :)

East 17 - Stay another day (as the airbridge is broken)

"i predict a riot" and "whats that coming over the hill!?" both featured heavily on telic 7.

herrick 10 i cant really remember listening to stuff prior to going on patrol etc. living the life of riley in KAF and bastion meant that whenever we were on the ground i was either busy, chain smoking or asleep.#

i always thought rage against the machine would be good music to burn villages to.

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
Hmnn...the. Desert Island Discs format is quite good to follow, 8 tracks that have meaning, a book and a luxury. The tracks are quite personal as they have meaning to me and me alone but the book, Catch-22 is my choice as every time I read I see yet another testament to the futility of war. The luxury...an 8 day clock that needs winding, the ticking I find hypnotic helping to pass the time, the clock and the winding regime gives a therapeutic feeling of order which after a lifetime of the military system puts me in my comfort zone. Very philosophical....sorry.

Herrick 10 - wind down tune was journey, don't stop believing. This was before those glee bell ends got a hold of it

Psyched tune I guess would Metallica's One. Pretty apt/macabre give we were a REST and the song is about a landmine victim wanting to be put out of his misery.

R and R would have to be everlong by the Foo Fighters.

For Herrick 18 none stand out really as I REMF'd the **** out of it and had constant tunes and radio :)

Last edited:
R

really?_fascinating

Rockstar. Nickelback.

Always on 'the box' TV channel at night. Ops room compulsive viewing.

Thinking about it I do remember sharing a set of earphones and singing along to brothers in arms by dire straights (when in doubt, steal someone else's war movie) one night whilst sitting in a compound somewhere.

We were all in a pretty good mood that night because we'd expected to get hammered but it turned out all right in the end so rather than just sleeping most of us sat up, smoked about 200 bine and chatted away under the stars.

Yeah, I liked that song Angles too. It was written my a mathematician turned rock star.

Latest Threads