What Port Survey?

My brother bought me a bottle of Churchill's Late Bottled Vintage Port for Christmas, I believe it to be the best I have had the pleasure of drinking, to my messes shame, far better than any I have toasted HRH with. There must be some real connoisseurs out there in arrseland, so what’s your favourite?

I was going to suggest Rotterdam until I read the actual post.

Taylor is one of the nicest I have tasted. It depends how much you want to pay. A 1994 bottle of Taylor Fladgate could cost you over £100 but it's worth it (so long as you dont snort it).

Taylor's 1963 vintage is also extremely nice - aside from the price tag and the fact that it's starting to get a little past its best. On the other hand, how often do you get to put a filled glass in front of some subby and then remark casually that the port he's necking is more than twice his age?

Juvenal said:
Taylor's 1963 vintage is also extremely nice - aside from the price tag and the fact that it's starting to get a little past its best. On the other hand, how often do you get to put a filled glass in front of some subby and then remark casually that the port he's necking is more than twice his age?
IMHO you are taking a chance on any vintage between 1945 and 1966 (excl). Had some Graham`s `66 at a Dinner Night in Nov - nectar of the Gods.

Juvenal said:
IMHO you are taking a chance on any vintage between 1945 and 1966 (excl). Had some Graham`s `66 at a Dinner Night in Nov - nectar of the Gods.

Graham's Late Bottled Vintage is passable at a very reasonable price. For those who wish to get rat*rsed on the stuff, Marks & Spencers and the Co-op do a good gluggable port at less than £6.00 a bottle.

I always understood that 1963 and 1970 were the best available in vintage. The only problem is that if it's not properly stored it will be a waste of money.

Of course, when I started drinking it, it was still Larboard.

One establishment locally still serves a decent VC by the pint from a barrel - and a very fine shouting Port is is too. I have succumbed in the past, three pints in an hour or so is tooooo much.

I enjoyed a bottle of Fonseca 1966 last week, which I have to say was the most outstanding drink to touch my lips. Gonna try and get me a bottle of Fladgate Taylor 1970 soon, it is supposed to be among the best post war vintage available. Costly, but worth it. If you are feeling extra rich, go for a 1912, alleged to be the very best of Port. Bonkers money though.

K80RMG said:
Graham's Late Bottled Vintage is passable at a very reasonable price. For those who wish to get rat*rsed on the stuff, Marks & Spencers and the Co-op do a good gluggable port at less than £6.00 a bottle.
Our lass works for M&S, (poor sod), and I can vouch for their stuff, at staff discount prices its like ribena in our house..........

ASDA