What Port Survey?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by VerminWA, Dec 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My brother bought me a bottle of Churchill's Late Bottled Vintage Port for Christmas, I believe it to be the best I have had the pleasure of drinking, to my messes shame, far better than any I have toasted HRH with. There must be some real connoisseurs out there in arrseland, so what’s your favourite?

2. I was going to suggest Rotterdam until I read the actual post.

Taylor is one of the nicest I have tasted. It depends how much you want to pay. A 1994 bottle of Taylor Fladgate could cost you over £100 but it's worth it (so long as you dont snort it).

3. Taylor's 1963 vintage is also extremely nice - aside from the price tag and the fact that it's starting to get a little past its best. On the other hand, how often do you get to put a filled glass in front of some subby and then remark casually that the port he's necking is more than twice his age?

4. IMHO you are taking a chance on any vintage between 1945 and 1966 (excl). Had some Graham`s `66 at a Dinner Night in Nov - nectar of the Gods.

5. IMHO you are taking a chance on any vintage between 1945 and 1966 (excl). Had some Graham`s `66 at a Dinner Night in Nov - nectar of the Gods.

6. I like the port of Liverpool. The view from the Mersey is breathtaking. I'd really recommend it.

For gawd's sake etc etc.

7. What were you on? Lager or meths.

8. Night duties - sleep dep is a dreadful thing. That said - I prefer port to starboard.

9. Graham's Late Bottled Vintage is passable at a very reasonable price. For those who wish to get rat*rsed on the stuff, Marks & Spencers and the Co-op do a good gluggable port at less than £6.00 a bottle.

10. Tesco's ruby port is a great everyday drink, around £4 a bottle

11. The Mersey takes your breath away all right

12. I always understood that 1963 and 1970 were the best available in vintage. The only problem is that if it's not properly stored it will be a waste of money.

13. Yes - especially when you fall in p*ssed on port!

14. Of course, when I started drinking it, it was still Larboard.

One establishment locally still serves a decent VC by the pint from a barrel - and a very fine shouting Port is is too. I have succumbed in the past, three pints in an hour or so is tooooo much.

15. Warres warrior is a top quality port and cheap too only about £8 a bottle. Beats the mess stuff hands down.