what Podcasts do you recommend?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
13 Minutes to the Moon is a really good BBC podcast, I'm enjoying it a great deal.
I'll second the British History Podcast mention, it's excellent and we're getting pretty close to 1066 now.
Something True is very good, it's only 9 episodes long, unfortunately.
The Weird History Podcast is very enjoyable although the narrator can be somewhat annoying as he is obviously in the OMG Trump is Satan Progressive camp and has a tendency to inject it every now and then.

Just out of interest, can all BBC podcasts be downloaded? I'm in Oz and although I can listen to them, I can't download - which is really quite annoying. I'm not sure if this is a standard feature or just a "not for you, you dirty non-fee paying foreigner" thing.

13 Minutes to the Moon is a really good BBC podcast, I'm enjoying it a great deal.
I'll second the British History Podcast mention, it's excellent and we're getting pretty close to 1066 now.
Something True is very good, it's only 9 episodes long, unfortunately.
The Weird History Podcast is very enjoyable although the narrator can be somewhat annoying as he is obviously in the OMG Trump is Satan Progressive camp and has a tendency to inject it every now and then.

Just out of interest, can all BBC podcasts be downloaded? I'm in Oz and although I can listen to them, I can't download - which is really quite annoying. I'm not sure if this is a standard feature or just a "not for you, you dirty non-fee paying foreigner" thing.
The BBC seems to distinguish between radio programs that happen to go out over the Internet and regular podcasts. Radio programs can't be downloaded as MP3s, but they can be downloaded onto a phone or tablet using an app, but the download expires after a period of time (e.g. 30 days). This seems to have something to do with who owns what rights to which content and how the BBC has to keep track in order to pay them, but I don't know the details.
BBC Sounds Help - What's the difference between downloads, podcasts and streaming?

I don't know if you can use the app outside the UK. I'm in Canada but I've never been inclined to look into it.

Normal podcasts from the BBC can be downloaded as regular MP3s and don't expire. The one you mentioned, "13 Minutes to the Moon", can definitely be downloaded, at least from Canada it can. I see a big "download" button with every episode on this page.
BBC World Service - 13 Minutes to the Moon - Downloads

If you use an RSS feed reader the links to the MP3 files appear directly in the feed.
13 Minutes to the Moon

If you use a decent podcatcher it should use the RSS feed to do this automatically for you.

The CBC also used to only allow some podcasts to be downloaded, but they seem to have all of the ones that I've looked available as downloadable MP3s now. They seem to be more focused on news and current events though, rather than general cultural or historical matters. I can recommend Quirks and Quarks however if you are interested in science. It's a one hour weekly show (currently off for the summer) made up of 8 to 10 minute segments with a different story in each. In the second link they split each show up into smaller segments to make it easier to skip over stuff you aren't interested in.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/science-and-tech/quirks-quarks/
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/science-and-tech/quirks-quarks---segments/

The radio show has been running for decades, but for the podcast they leave only the most recent 'x' links up so you can only go back so far.

They have RSS feeds of course (see the above web pages).

Here's the CBC's full list of podcasts.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts

ches

LE
Bletchley Park have an excellent series of Pods. I think they're up to well over 150 episodes now.

The first season of Serial is very good - not so keen on the second one; this is, if true crime investigation stuff if your bag.

Nature podcast is good for science.

Joe Rogan Show is good as a general chat show/something to listen to. He often has very interesting guests.

dockers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
We have ways of making you talk.

James Holland and Al Murray discuss all things World War 2. Worth a listen, and they answer questions from their Twitter feed.

I've a soft spot for Dan Carlin's Hard Core Histories
As well as his Ancient/medieval ones covering Persians, Romans, Dark ages and Mongols, his 20th century ones on the first world war, the eastern front and the far east have been cracking.

Some of Dan Snow's History Hit is very good. I've had a Mary Ellis interview and Falklands Airdrops on today.

Shagged,Married, Annoyed was funny, but I'm finding them a bit young for my tastes.

Adam Savage Still Untitled.

Inside Skunk Works.

Fighter Pilot Podcast.

Missed Apex.

Autosport.

Beyond The Grid.

Techstuff.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Slime

LE
I haven't gone through the thread to see if its been mentioned, but I have started listening to a podcast and am hooked.

Its called a podcast but I get it from the BBC iplayer for radio.

It's called:
Beef and dairy network.

Have a listen, it may surprise you...........an interest in farming isn't needed.

Would recommend Behind the Bastards which basically looks to give potted histories of bad people. Made up of a narrator and a comedian guest it means it’s not always crushingly depressing. The hitler and stalin stuff is very funny.

Slime

LE
I recently mentioned the Beef and dairy network podcast that’s available on the BBC I-player

I’ve just listened to episode 35:
Professor James Harcombe.

It deals with cattle in warfare, and would be a good introduction to this podcast.
If you listen to the above episode and like it I’d also recommend checking out the episodes covering Eli Roberts.

The humour in these podcasts may not be for everyone, but they make me laugh :)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There is a BBC one, whose name I can't recall which involves two women being naked and interviewing others who are unclad. Can't see the point, personally. Nor the valleys or the clefts. But then, it is radio.

From Own Own Correspondent is one I find usually very informative.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (His "Ghosts of the Ostfront" is excellent and his "Blueprint for Armageddon" series is even better).

Sword and Scale (Start with a bang, Episode 20 - I dare you. Then do Episodes 32 & 33 and 55).

Ones I've been listening to on spotify

Your dead to me-History by someone behind the horrible history books very funny get comedians in with historians to discuss topics.

WW2 podcast by Angus Wallace out every 2 weeks interviews authors with some unsual topics the one with the ex US airborne guy who has a cracking sense of humour and was captured during market garden is really funny to listen to

Figtinhg through podcast by Paul Cheall who talks about his dads war from North Africa to NW Europe and interviews a load of ex veterns from all services is really good the Wilf Shaw ones are really interesting.

QRK2

LE
WW2 podcast by Angus Wallace out every 2 weeks interviews authors with some unsual topics the one with the ex US airborne guy who has a cracking sense of humour and was captured during market garden is really funny to listen to
I do subscribe to that one for the occasional good one, as you say some of his stuff is off the beaten track, but have to say that I find Angus Wallace's ignorance about the subject he covers astounding on occasion.

Al Murray and James Holland's "We have ways" is similar in covering more than just the obvious and much more entertaining. For those who only know Al's Pub Landlord persona the fact that he has an Oxford History degree and an obsession with MARKET GARDEN (his father was a Para Sapper who served at Suez and ended up as a TA Lt Col) may come as a surprise.

Thanks for the pointer on Phil Cheall

Latest Threads