what Podcasts do you recommend?

Just wondered what, I any, podcasts your are listening to at the moment. My new company car has got a very easy to use media system so I have started downloading podcasts with a vengeance, they don’t half make the long journeys fly by.

Currently got on there
Richard Herring Leicester Square Podcast (very funny, the Ross Noble one came very close to having my piss my pants)
The Bugle
Fighting Talk
Friday Night Comedy
And an odd one called “We’re Alive – A zombie story of survival” which is strangely gripping

Just wondered if you could recommend anything else?

Just wondered what, I any, podcasts your are listening to at the moment. My new company car has got a very easy to use media system so I have started downloading podcasts with a vengeance, they don’t half make the long journeys fly by.

Currently got on there
Richard Herring Leicester Square Podcast (very funny, the Ross Noble one came very close to having my piss my pants)
The Bugle
Fighting Talk
Friday Night Comedy
And an odd one called “We’re Alive – A zombie story of survival” which is strangely gripping

Just wondered if you could recommend anything else?

The Richard Herring with Stewart Lee and Armando Iannucci podcasts are good as well

Try the BBC "Infinite Monkey Cage" podcast too. You also get the odd gem from BBC "Comedy of the Week". It's updated every Monday. Ignore the Christmas period they are putting something new in every day but it's fluff.

Last edited:
This American Life
All Things Considered
The Moth
Radiolab
Slate's Gabfests
Hardcore History
Planet Money

If you're into history there's one called History of Rome by Mike Duncan. Covers the whole history of Rome from the foundation to the fall of the western empire. Well over a hundred of twenty - thirty minute episodes, very well written.

scaryspice

LE
If you're into history there's one called History of Rome by Mike Duncan.
I loved that one. His latest series - Revolutions - is also worth a listen.

Now wading through The History of England (sadly not by Mike Duncan and not as well written but still worth a listen if you like history)

If you like Science then try The Naked Scientists (no it's not what you think) who also have a load of spin-offs on archaeology, astronomy, etc.

If you're into history there's one called History of Rome by Mike Duncan. Covers the whole history of Rome from the foundation to the fall of the western empire. Well over a hundred of twenty - thirty minute episodes, very well written.

I think that guy is an engineer and not a professional historian.

Check out the stuff from BBC Radio 4 In Our Time. It has science, religion, history, philosophy and culture and gathers the finest minds in the world to argue and debate about stuff. You can download it all here:

BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time - In Our Time Downloads

Make sure you click on All Episodes once you select what category you want, there's a 100 or so for each one so bound to find something of interest.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Infinte Monkey Cage - BBC
Fighting Talk (although it is going down hill a bit now) - BBC
Mayo and Kermode Film Review - BBC
Simon Mayo Confessions and Weekly Podcast - BBC
Vinyl Cafe Stories from CBC Radio - This one is a Canadian podcast that has a mix of music, stories from listeners and the adventures of Dave. At times laugh out loud funny
Justin Moorhouse About 30mins no more than 45 - Funny look at the fat mans life.
Lifehacker - Tech podcast from USA
A History of the World in 100 Objects - BBC. Old one but worth the download. 101 episodes of about 15 min length and good way to learn a bit of history.

You could wade through David Blight's Yale course on The Civil War, excellent stuff.

Try the Howard Stern Show.

American, but really funny.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Would second the above Vinyl Cafe. If you can get the "Dave cooks the Christmas turkey" episode.

Staff college website has a range of lectures on random military topics from their syllabus which are often worth listening to.

Letter from America grew up listening to A Cooke
Off the Ball for Scottish football topical and cheesy
Melvin braggs In our Time is good
Lastly
From our own Correspondent just to hear Kate Adie for 20 seconds on each episode.

i was going to stick this in the "what are you listening to?" thread but it seemed to be mainly music.

i listen to a few podcasts when i'm doing fairly repetetive tasks like report writing at work, when i'm running or if i'm cooking etc and wanted to know if there's any good ones that i'm missing out on.

the ones i subscribe to, but dont always listen to are:

Mark Kermode & Simon Mayos film reviews

in our time with Melvyn Bragg

from our correspondent

the football ramble

the guardian football weekly

the two in bold i listen to every wk and the others i dip in and out of if ive got time and find the subjects interesting. i've also nicked a few audible.com credits off my mrs and used these when i was decorating the house and then the flat. on the audio book front i've usually gone for volume as i want as many hours as i can get for my credits so i've listened to

the second world war by Winston Churchill

1914 by Max Hastings

the history of ancient rome by Prof Garrett G Fagan

and currently, the history of the united states by Prof Allen C Guelzo

the last two are run by the great courses and are 25-35 hours of university level lectures on their respective subjects. its background noise but i still pick up bits and pieces. i am finding Prof Guelzo's mannerisms kind of annoying though but hopefully it'll switch to one of the other lecturers soon (i think there actually 4 taking this course)

Hardcore History - Dan Carlin. Incredible. Especially the Mongol series.

Church of what's happening now - Joey Diaz.

Free. The HH ones are free for ages but as new episodes come out, the others go on his iTunes Store. I'll start donating anyway thought because it's worth money.

Podcast: the infinite monkey cage (Professor Brian Cox)
Desert Island Discs
Gardener's Question Time (I don't even own a house. I know, I'm terminally dull)
TED Talks