What on earth is this or rather these?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by ugly, Aug 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whilst driving around pompey this afternoon I saw these, any ideas what and who?
    Also is this a chieftan, it looks really odd?

Attached Files:

2. chiefy with still brew armour
    pounds scrap yard
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok it wasnt in pounds but was one of the 35 he bought, its up at one of the forts on Porchester hill. What about the amphibs?
  4. Fort Southwick has tonnes of his stuff in it... including railway, submarine conning tower and loads of arty and armoured infantry vehicles. Mostly WW2 era iirc

The 'flat-bed' amphibious vehicles are Russian cold war era... thought to be drivable but haven't move in the 12 years that I've driven past them.

Shame he got rid of his two subs mored next to the bridge :(

Pounds Snr made his cash from scrapping WW2 Royal Navy ships... deliberately contaminating the beaches of North Harbour, reluctantly buying 'said ground' in order to de-contaminate it, and them making a fortune in property development from the 1960-90's

Pouns Jnr is now a tax exile with a penchance for buying up rare equipment and the letting it rot in the open air of Fort Southwick. ( He owns the fort too and sublets it to NHS and other people)
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats what I used to see when driving by, does he own Southwick as well. Seems to have done alright hasnt he?
  6. If youre polite to the chap at the gate, you can blag a trip around Fort Southwick.

Its semi-private - but like i said, now used by many other groups.

The trip down the Napoleonic tunnels is incredible - and comes out near the sea at Hilsea Fort
  7. they are not soviet, they are yank,,,,,, larc 90;s i think
  8. BARC yank landing craft, made for getting mbt,s ashore ,, cirs 1960,s hope that helps
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks, time to google that name then, I knew someone would know but amphibious vehicle is a big list.
  10. Aha! Always wondered about that - I remember the old ships and subs lying about there!
  11. I'm pretty sure the tank is a Conqueror, (Arrived in Germany in time for the Victory Parade)

The Amphibs, not sure about.
  12. Definitely not Sov,both the BAV (DUKW lookalike),and the MAV (small 4x4) have rubbing strakes pressed into their side panels,amphibs in photo have smooth sides.;-)

Sorry,forgot to say,tank is not a Conquerer,which has 8 very small road wheels.
  13. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Pounds had a frigate that he was scrapping laid up near the motorway. The Andrew got a lot of calls from old salts complaining about how slack the Navy was nowadays judging by the state of that ship ... the wind don't blow the way it used to etc .. eventually Pounds was persuaded to write SCRAP on it in huge letters for all to see.

Ft Southwick - I seem to remember it was 600+ steps down to CINCNAVCHAN or whatever it was .. and more to the point 600+ steps back up to the rest of the world. As to the tunnels, all sorts of correspondence in the local paper about them and what might be down there.

I have a soft spot for the forts as my one of my ggfathers commanded the inner line from Ft Grange for a short period in 1895. Word is that Palmerston's family made a lot of money out of bricks.
  14. As said earlier, Chiftain with Stillbrew armour, and LARCs amphibs.