What now the Labour Party?

I had a Labour leaflet delivered on the day of the election. Mind you, included in the blurb on how to vote Labour was an offer to collect and drive to the Polling Station. Not sure if that is legal but it went straight in the recycling - and Labour were kicked out here!
Thanks but the allegation quoted by @vvaannmmaann was "Labour leaflets being distributed outside and inside polling stations", which would have been a definite no-no if it really happened. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary it sounds to me like a typical election day rumour.

It isn't illegal to offer a voter a lift to the polling station, as long as it isn't on condition they vote in any particular way.

I think that they will have their work cut out in England at least, it is not our way.
That is what they are trying to change.

The recent political polarisation and the insular and blinkered groupthink on social media is abetting this.

The aim of extremist politics is to create and exploit divisions in society.

...........,Now they have to move away from the left, and become more practical and less ideological.
That’s akin to asking a devout religious believer to turn atheist.

Same here, but good government needs a good and joined up opposition and Labour will not be that for a generation. We're faced with an innefective opposition hectored and goaded by the SNP who will be pursuing their own agenda whilst doing everything they can to thwart the government, whilst the Lib Dems will struggle to get their voice heared, not that in itself that's a bad thing.
Agreed, apart from your last phrase. The Lib Dem’s need to develop into a credible opposition party or they will become totally irrelevant. I for one, hope that they can “get practical and realistic” and reap enough support for genuine moderate politics.

The aim of extremist politics is to create and exploit divisions in society.
Well they appear to have their asses handed to themselves then don't they.

Agreed, apart from your last phrase. The Lib Dem’s need to develop into a credible opposition party or they will become totally irrelevant. I for one, hope that they can “get practical and realistic” and reap enough support for genuine moderate politics.
Unfortunately for them I think the LibDems have already made themselves an irrelevancy the moment they stated that they would ignore any second referendum that resulted in a second leave win. That alone has caused anyone who believes in democracy to discount them as fools.

I agree, their last effort was a totally unprincipled attempt at replacing the DUP in order to gain influe

Unfortunately for them I think the LibDems have already made themselves an irrelevancy the moment they stated that they would ignore any second referendum that resulted in a second leave win. That alone has caused anyone who believes in democracy to discount them as fools.
Even some of their most ardent supporters have called this stance undemocratic

I believe you may be right. That was hubris in the extreme.

When did the Lib Dems say "they would ignore any second referendum that resulted in a second leave win"?

I think they've already been irrelevant for years, even during Pantsdowns tenure, although not to the extremes they have been recently.

Lib Dems need to get away from the lunatic mind set that drives them and the Greens, they need to be much more practical and real people focussed instead of constantly trying to push the agenda on behalf of activists.

Then and only then will they become worth voting for, currently they are little more than a protest vote, just like the Monster Raving Looney Party.

I think they've already been irrelevant for years, even during Pantsdowns tenure, although not to the extremes they have been recently.

Lib Dems need to get away from the lunatic mind set that drives them and the Greens, they need to be much more practical and real people focussed instead of constantly trying to push the agenda on behalf of activists.

Then and only then will they become worth voting for, currently they are little more than a protest vote, just like the Monster Raving Looney Party.
I think you may have a very valid point. However they do remain closest to my political leanings.

I think you may have a very valid point. However they do remain closest to my political leanings.
As does the Labour Party of old to me. I however can't see them returning to their roots, more likely to either continue the way they are whilst being less in your face about it or go along the lines the Lib Dems did.

doc80905

War Hero
We're faced with an innefective opposition hectored and goaded by the SNP who will be pursuing their own agenda whilst doing everything they can to thwart the government
Whilst I'm an SC&U man I realise that 25-30% is about our whack up here, so really we need a decent Labour Party to try to shift out the yesnp. I do think there may be some merit in Murdo Frasers (I think?) idea from a few years back of having a sort of demerger with the wider Conservative Party and going back to being a Scottish Unionist Party like the old days, to try to galvanise the unionist vote. Something has to happen up here one way or another, if only for my sanity as I can't take much more of that bloody awful woman and her crackpot cybernats with their conspiracy theories.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads