What now the Labour Party?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There are at current 1.2 million vacancies in the UK I am sure that people could find a job out of that lot if they wanted one.
no charge

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Thing is the Working Class of old are now home owning, car owning middle management or self employed trying their best to make a go of it..2 things that Labour detest as it dwindles their true voting pool. They are now left with minority groups and benefit seekers as their core voting public.
It doesn't dwindle their true voting pool. They have their true voting pool. It's just not working class. Labour gave up on the working class years ago.

That's why when some 20-something stands up and starts shouting about the working class rising up, it sounds so cliched and last-century.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So growers rely on below minimal wages to maintain their profit margin?
supermarkets force prices down so low that growers often make nothing more than the cost of production. Sometimes it is less than the cost of production.

supermarkets force prices down so low that growers often make nothing more than the cost of production. Sometimes it is less than the cost of production.
At one time you had the choice of buying milk at supermarket price or an extra couple of pennies which was supposed to go to the farmers. Don't know if that is still an option but doubt it. Supermarkets can't put real market prices on goods or we'd all be back shopping on local high streets. A bag of apples for less than a quid, a tin of Heinz beans at 60p yet own-brand at 25p. Supermarkets are really robbing the supplier yet still make a large profit, Tesco as an example doubled profits.
Get the feckless fecks up and out in the fields. My daughter has four kids, newborn to 10 years old and hasn't had a job, ever, but takes thousands a year out of the pot. She'd be ripe for plucking fruit! :cool:

I get that, but to be honest the growers would be better off shutting the business and getting a waged job.

If enough did that the supermarkets would not be able to source food and would have to explain why not, or pay a living wage to growers for stock and be forced make a decision whether to pass that cost on to the consumer or reduce profits and dividends. Neither of which would be welcome.

The ones that pay the farmers and advertise it as such by reducing dividends would get the customers but not the investment and vice versa, but having customers is always a more sustainable business model than having investors but no customers.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Aye.

An acquaintance who had apple orchards down in Somerset explained it to me.

Margins on fruit are very tight. What's offered on odd-shaped or blemished fruit is even tighter - the producers are given a pittance. But the supermarkets then peel, core, cook and put the apples in desserts pies, crumbles and so on - which have a rather larger mark-up than the fruit by itself. So, the supermarkets get cheaper raw materials and a greater margin.

The actual producer gets done over both ways.

Some years back there was an article in The Grocer, about supermarkets trying to gouge prices. The supplier refused their terms, closed all sites to them, but continued to employ and pay his staff.
A couple of weeks later the supermarkets buckled and returned with a more realistic offer, which was again refused.
This continued until the supermarkets agreed to pay 3x their original offer.

They can’t help themselves can they.
DE58B6F1-1D91-4931-A0F5-6B3D7276BE18.jpeg

RP.

Ursus Major

War Hero
At one time you had the choice of buying milk at supermarket price or an extra couple of pennies which was supposed to go to the farmers. Don't know if that is still an option but doubt it. Supermarkets can't put real market prices on goods or we'd all be back shopping on local high streets. A bag of apples for less than a quid, a tin of Heinz beans at 60p yet own-brand at 25p. Supermarkets are really robbing the supplier yet still make a large profit, Tesco as an example doubled profits.
Get the feckless fecks up and out in the fields. My daughter has four kids, newborn to 10 years old and hasn't had a job, ever, but takes thousands a year out of the pot. She'd be ripe for plucking fruit! :cool:
My local (next door) grocer's prices are always cheaper than the supermarkets. It helps they own a farm as well...

000_19F25Q-e1537885350970.jpg

This sort of buffoonery, a potential Home Secretary who I wouldn't trust to sign a blankety-blank cheque let alone warrantry for the police and security service and who hates the police, the list is endless.

The current "conservatives" are an incompetent money making vehicle for Johnson's insatiable ego; but the Labour party need to own their part in enabling this lot to romp home to an 80 seat majority, and stopping the "Am I wrong....no the childern are wrong" attitude within them is the first thing that should go.

s0EUzgQ.png
Those flags are a clue as to what is wrong with Labour today. Under the Commissar all the priorities changed. Palestine, gay/trans rights, refugees, polar bears. The traditional labour voter, the working man, doesn't give a shit about that. He cares about if he will have a job next week, can he pay his rent, stuff that matters.

Those flags are a clue as to what is wrong with Labour today. Under the Commissar all the priorities changed. Palestine, gay/trans rights, refugees, polar bears. The traditional labour voter, the working man, doesn't give a shit about that. He cares about if he will have a job next week, can he pay his rent, stuff that matters.

But what of Ramallah?

Bet you're a Zionist.

I really think that if the Labour Party was elected, and their extremists set the agenda, we might see significant political violence in the UK.

Genuine question.

Who from?