What now the Labour Party?

More like politically motivated Civil Servants being directed by their (Soviet) Unions to oppose what the Government is doing, whatever the Government is doing.
I've knocked around multiple government departments as a contractor and a full-time permanent member of staff since 2003, and the MoD before that.

I simply don't recognise that as a real behaviour.

The most left-wing might read the Grauniad or the Indie, but by far the worst are the ones that (discreetly) lean to the Right. Home Office and Border Force would be near top of my list.

Ditto

Good to know gunmint is really, really keen to promote entrepreneurial efforts, and support small businesses . . .

They do support small businesses getting smaller, it's all about big business that's were the party donations roll in from

it's all about big business that's were the party donations roll in from
That's true across all the major parties - property developers in particular spring to mind

I'd not be surprised to find that Persimmon (off the top of my head) was bunging money at all Parties, on a quid pro quo basis.

TamH70

MIA
That's true across all the major parties - property developers in particular spring to mind

I'd not be surprised to find that Persimmon (off the top of my head) was bunging money at all Parties, on a quid pro quo basis.

Bovis and Barratts were both at it up here. To the point that one of the housing estates in my old village is still referred to this day as "the Bovis".

Clearly little progress in the "acceptance of alternative viewpoints" sage that plagued Jeremy Corbyn's leadership. Jezza, ah bless; remember him??

In sum, a Labour MP avoiding party conference due to threats to her safety; this one is strident in her views on the transgender debate, which does not go down well in certain sectors of the party. The subliminal message here is this - "If we don't like what you have to say then we will deny you your right to say it". By mockery, isolation, shouting you down or indeed physical violence. A bit like the Nationalists North of the border, but that is for another day.

Much as I have little time for the current Government (they are, IMHO, the best of a bad bunch), I dread to think what the country would be like now, had we elected a Labour Government in 2019. If they cannot tolerate dissent amongst their own at a party conference, it chills the spine to think how same dissent would be viewed were they ever to get their hands on the levers of power.

Clearly little progress in the "acceptance of alternative viewpoints" sage that plagued Jeremy Corbyn's leadership. Jezza, ah bless; remember him??

In sum, a Labour MP avoiding party conference due to threats to her safety; this one is strident in her views on the transgender debate, which does not go down well in certain sectors of the party. The subliminal message here is this - "If we don't like what you have to say then we will deny you your right to say it". By mockery, isolation, shouting you down or indeed physical violence. A bit like the Nationalists North of the border, but that is for another day.

Much as I have little time for the current Government (they are, IMHO, the best of a bad bunch), I dread to think what the country would be like now, had we elected a Labour Government in 2019. If they cannot tolerate dissent amongst their own at a party conference, it chills the spine to think how same dissent would be viewed were they ever to get their hands on the levers of power.
Think what the situation would be now if Steptoe had edged it in 2017 GE? given what has happened, Coved and Brexit. Would we have a GE next year? or would he and the people who pull his strings have created a more or less a one party state and rule by a state of emergency. Things would have gone like Czechslovakia 1945 - 48??

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Think what the situation would be now if Steptoe had edged it in 2017 GE? given what has happened, Coved and Brexit. Would we have a GE next year? or would he and the people who pull his strings have created a more or less a one party state and rule by a state of emergency. Things would have gone like Czechslovakia 1945 - 48??
Or worse still, the DDR, and we're all quickly learning Russian.

humble

Old-Salt
the people who pull his strings have created a more or less a one party state and rule by a state of emergency.
. History shows that there is always a 'mood change' and after so many years of (insert name of favoured political party/politician) they always get voted out. How many people would have predicted Churchill would not get elected in 1945?

Slime

LE
. History shows that there is always a 'mood change' and after so many years of (insert name of favoured political party/politician) they always get voted out. How many people would have predicted Churchill would not get elected in 1945?

At the time most people would have predicted it, and the wishes of those who predicted it, then voted him out came true.

If you want to speak put your hands up we want to hear from you were a diverse and inclusive conference

To many of you who want to speak are white men - We dont want you to dominate the venue.

Irony lost

Would it not just have been simpler to select a variety of individuals - its what I and most others would have done, rather than attempt to virtue signal and effectively say "If you want to speak put your hands up we want to hear from you unless youre white male"

Johned

War Hero
At the time most people would have predicted it, and the wishes of those who predicted it, then voted him out came true.
It was called the "Khaki" election as against all the odds, "they" did not reckon on returning servicemen voting Labour because they had had enough of the officer class as they saw it and turned Left.

It was called the "Khaki" election as against all the odds, "they" did not reckon on returning servicemen voting Labour because they had had enough of the officer class as they saw it and turned Left.
Disagree on that as Bill Slim told Churchill rather bluntly that "Well my army won't be voting for you".

Slime

LE
Disagree on that as Bill Slim told Churchill rather bluntly that "Well my army won't be voting for you".

You might want to re read that post :)

A piece in the times today by Mathew Parris - he of bending to the wind of whichever way fortune blows.

Anyway the upshot of the argument as dont write off Starmer. He might not have the full party bacjking behind him but a lot of people trust his approach. lest we forget Cameron was in bed with teh LibDems in his way to the top.
At present Bozzo is hanging on by his nails, if he gets overthrown - who takes over - Rishi? A lot can change - and I would not w/o Starmer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thing is,Sir Kneelalot does not have to worry about and beat the Tories, it is his own Party that is his biggest worry.

Latest Threads